Problem Where Insteon Stops Getting Inputs Until Reboot and Interface Reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem Where Insteon Stops Getting Inputs Until Reboot and Interface Reset

Hi there! Very LONG time customer of your plugin and HomeSeer in general.

Recently I am seeing very odd behavior where wireless device heartbeats don't get updated, door sensors never change status, KPL button presses are not seen, etc... Until I rebooted HomeSeer and also unplugged and then re-pluggedin my Insteon PLM Serial Modem Interface things did not start working again. This has happened like 3 time in the last few months.

Have you seen this behavior before?

I went ahead and updated the plugin to the latest Beta (3.0.7.38).

Maybe my PLM is dying.

mnsandler , before I go buy a second Insteon PLM Serial Modem Interface, should I consider the Insteon Hub instead?

I have a very large Insteon Device Base...
    You have 88 internal Insteon device(s) registered in the system, 0 external device(s), and 30 group(s).
    These devices and groups currently consume 827 link database entries in your interface.*
    You have 224 unused outbound link addresses out of 254 total available.
    1. Is there any benefit in using the Hub over the Serial PLM (besides the Ethernet Interface)?
    2. Is there any added latency with one over the other?
    3. Are there any capabilities that one lacks over the other from an Insteon perspective? (Other than network access)
    4. Is one more reliable than the other?
    mnsandler , which would you chose?

Thanks for any help and advice.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com

I would recommend staying with the PLM. there are several threads that compare the PLM to the Hub; so I wont revisit that here

you might try a reset and reprogram from the config page.

if that doesn't help with missed messages (status updates) it might be time for a new PLM.

please post the hw version of the PLM (its on a sticker on the outside)
    Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
    Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

Here is the PLM that I am using. I will go ahead and order a new PLM to have on standby and replace this one if this happens again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Serial_PLM.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1461081
      jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

well that's a newer PLM. i have you tried the reset and reprogram
        Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting

Comment

After I did a couple of "Update Interface Database" and "Reset and Reprogram Interface" I got these values consistently:

You have 88 internal Insteon device(s) registered in the system, 0 external device(s), and 30 group(s).
          These devices and groups currently consume 711 link database entries in your interface.*
          You have 254 unused outbound link addresses out of 254 total available.
          So it went from "827 link database entries in your interface" to now having "711 link database entries in your interface".
          And from "224 unused outbound link addresses" to "254 unused outbound link addresses"

I will keep an eye on everything... But right now it is all stable. This does not happen often, but when it does it shows up as things like the PLM not seeing changes in Insteon Door sensors.

Thanks for the help! Also, I went ahead an ordered a new PLM anyhow, just to have on hand.

jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

mnsandler, so I detected that yet again my HomeSeer system does not get any Wireless inputs from things like "Insteon RemoteLinc 2 - Switch" or Insteon Door Sensors.... First I turned up the logging level on your plugin then I restarted your plugin... no joy...

I then unplugged the PLM counted to 10 and plugged it back in and everything is working yet again. So I am now 100% convinced this is somehow the PLM. How could the PLM fail for all wireless transmissions? I thought the way Insteon worked that it still would inject Wireless back onto the powerline? Would not the PLM still see the communications as coming from the powerline then?

I might have that wrong.... I am sure I do...

Anyhow, next step I suppose is to replace the PLM with my new PLM that came in a few days ago? Any advice?

Thanks so much!

<rant>
            I love Insteon.... I hate their shitty quality... I have so many switches, KPL, inline modules... just die! It is a true pain in the butt! I would be happy to pay for higher quality that would mean I am not digging devices back out of walls...
            </rant>
            jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Jean-Marie,
              messages are transmitted on both wireless and PL mediums. Not sure why the PL is not backing up the wireless.

there is a swap interface routine on the config page. you can run it multiple times if it has problems with particular devices. you will need to put wireless devices into link mode manually and then stop link mode after its finished.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Working...
              X