This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading an Insteon Address

OK, I did a stupid, and installed a relay switch in the wall without writing down the Insteon address.

Now, of course, I could tear it out of the wall and read it, but it was part of a 2-gang, and I use screwless wallplates, and it took so long for me to jockey into place, keeping it exactly even with the other switch, finding the screwholes, getting it flush to the wall, etc....

And I suppose I could simply tap-add the new swtich....BUT...it's intended to replace a switch that (ahem) defecated on me, so I was going to use the magic Replace This Device button. If I were to tap-add it, my ability to transfer the programming from the old switch would go away, wouldn't it?

So basically, I'm asking if there's a way to read that address, perhaps through detailed logging or something?

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

tap adding it would require that you put the unit into linking mode via the set btn. If you can get to the set button, just press it once and see if hs captures a message in the hs log. you should be able to decode the ID from the message.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      tap adding it would require that you put the unit into linking mode via the set btn. If you can get to the set button, just press it once and see if hs captures a message in the hs log. you should be able to decode the ID from the message.
      Roger wilco, standby for results....

...and no love. I turned on detailed logging, and put it in linking mode (this is a newer one that you hold the upper paddle for 10 seconds). I know from glancing at the sticker that the Insteon Address began with a 5. I looked for log entries with a 5 in the first place, but nada.

I would have thought that detailed logging, at least, would capture all traffic on the line, whether it involves an address in the PLM's database or not. Guess I'll grab my crowbar and krazy glue and get started.

Jim Speiser
      Still don't know squat

Comment

how about tap add, get the address, and then delete the device from the plugin
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          how about tap add, get the address, and then delete the device from the plugin
          Hey, sorry I missed this, but you were too late in posting it anyway, I had already disgorged the switch and looked at the label. Kind of a good thing, too, because when I put everything back in place, I did an even better job of lining it up, levelling, flushing, etc. Looks great.

Plus, I had thought of doing that, but I'm really nervous about messing up the Insteon.ini. I was also afraid that by doing that, I would lose the opportunity to do a Replace This Device.

Jim Speiser
          Still don't know squat

Comment

Working...
          X