No announcement yet.

considering move to HomeSeer from ISY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as Windows vs Pi version goes, I think your primary considerations would be outside of Insteon. I believe the Pi version of HS can only run 5 concurrent plugins. Additionally, I believe there are some plugins that only run on Windows, but I think all Linux-capable plugins are also Windows-capable. I could be wrong on that last part.

You mentioned a dedicated device as being a plus for reliability reasons. While I agree with that statement, if that dedicated device is specialty hardware (HomeTroller Pi, ISY), that muddies the waters a little. What if that device fails? How long to replace it? Will your settings transfer? If your Windows server fails, and assuming you have another Windows computer in the house, you could be up and running again in short order while awaiting new hardware...assuming you have sufficient backups of the HomeSeer directory. I assume the same is true with any software-only version of HS running on your own hardware.
    HomeSeer 3, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Smart Speakers, Foscam cameras, Amcrest camera, RCA HSDB2a doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

I very much like the detailed statistics over time and the menus in general. I might have to go ahead and try this on HS3 instead of waiting until I have HS4 running. I was hoping the new super PLM would have been released by now but I guess a can just pick up a regular serial one to use for this. Thanks for posting the screen shots.

One thing that might be different between the ISY and this plugin is the way groups (scenes) are managed. In the ISY you create a scene and then add devices or keypad buttons as either "responder only" or "controller and responder". The PLM is automatically added as a "controller and responder" to all scenes. A scene can have any number of controllers. A device or keypad button can only be a controller for one scene but can be a responder for any number of scenes. I'm having trouble matching this up with the plugin documentation but it might just be the way I'm reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
        You mentioned a dedicated device as being a plus for reliability reasons. While I agree with that statement, if that dedicated device is specialty hardware (HomeTroller Pi, ISY), that muddies the waters a little. What if that device fails? How long to replace it? Will your settings transfer? If your Windows server fails, and assuming you have another Windows computer in the house, you could be up and running again in short order while awaiting new hardware...assuming you have sufficient backups of the HomeSeer directory. I assume the same is true with any software-only version of HS running on your own hardware.
        I agree with that. I am much better equipped to handle a hardware issue on a Windows box.

Comment

Got my HomeSeer trial loaded up and ready to start playing. I see there are 2 options in the store - one being the BETA plug-in, and the other being a version from I believe 2018.

Should I just be starting with the BETA at this point? Are the BETAs generally stable?

Comment

Please start with the beta. Its stable.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
            Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

I am new to Homseer form many moons ago. I have an ISY with the 2413s PLM attached to the back of its Network port. I have bought my new Hometroller Pro Hub and also bought the Insteon plug in but can I use this PLM as it doesn't have a serial interface it has the network interface on it. I want to use the most reliable connection I can., Can I get a serial cable and/or am I better off buying a new PLM with the USB interface. Im also going to be using (and have purchased) the Zwave interface. Thanks so much

Comment

Originally posted by Lenp2001 View Post
                I am new to Homseer form many moons ago. I have an ISY with the 2413s PLM attached to the back of its Network port. I have bought my new Hometroller Pro Hub and also bought the Insteon plug in but can I use this PLM as it doesn't have a serial interface it has the network interface on it. I want to use the most reliable connection I can., Can I get a serial cable and/or am I better off buying a new PLM with the USB interface. Im also going to be using (and have purchased) the Zwave interface. Thanks so much
                Welcome to the Forum.

the 2413S uses an rj45 jack for its serial connection. buy the necessary serial cable and you should be all set. You can also make the cable, its only uses 3 or 4 of the internal conductors. the wiring diagram is available on the net.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
                Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
                Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

Working...
                X