X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BJJDad73
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback UpstateMike.

I also integrate with Alexa and my Elk M1. I'm under the assumption that I can do the same with HomeSeer. Am I wrong?

I am comfortable with the ISY as well, but have been having some problems lately and felt it was a good time to explore options. The Java-based Admin Console is getting long in the tooth, and I don't want to stick with it just because that's what I'm used to.

I understand INSTEON can be frustrating, but nonetheless it's what's in my house and I don't plan on ripping out all my devices any time soon. The ISY's original strength to me was INSTEON support, but it seems like they are now focusing elsewhere. I do plan on exploring Z-Wave as time allows and when the circumstances warrant it, but for the foreseeable future my house is 90+% INSTEON.

I'm hoping HomeSeer might integrate more easily with other equipment, and perhaps be more intuitive to me with non-INSTEON devices. Of course I plan on doing a trial first (extra PLM on order), and may change my mind.

Definitely interested in any feedback you can offer since you seem to be familiar with both the ISY and HomeSeer.

Leave a comment:

• upstatemike
    replied
    I am an ISY user who does not have experience with the mnsandler plugin though I do plan to try it when I spin up an instance of HS4 in the near future. Some things that I would note about the ISY and the ISY plugin for Homeseer would be:

The ISY can integrate with multiple things at the same time. I currently have mine talking to my Elk M1 security system so that security sensors and garage door status can control my lighting directly as well as talking to Homeseer to trigger reminders for lights left on etc.

It also has a very reliable link to Alexa both for voice contrlol and for triggering Alexa routines.

I also make a lot of changes to my Insteon system of over 150 devices (usually re-assigning keypad buttons to do new things) and am comfortable with the device management aspect of the ISY system.

None of this may apply to you but I mention it because these are factors I would be looking at if considering a change... especially the Alexa connectivity. Curious to know what is driving you to want to switch away from ISY?

Leave a comment:

• mnsandler
    replied
    The plugin is supported on both platforms. I understand the the Hometroller Pi runs linux which is fine. i dont know what kind of access you have to the OS or file system on the HomeTroller. This can be useful for debugging issues.

Leave a comment:

• BJJDad73
    replied
    Thank you. From an INSTEON plug-in point of view, any reason to go with a Windows based HomeSeer platform vs. lower powered Pi platform?

Leave a comment:

• mnsandler
    replied
    Welcome
    I will leave the ISY to Homeseer migration question to others.

Either PLM should be fine. I think reliability is more of a function of your power than anything. But i guess you can't use the 2413S with the Pi without a usb-serial converter. In that case, just go with 2413U if you don't have a physical serial port. There are several threads here discussing the same.

Leave a comment:

• BJJDad73
    replied
    Two more questions.

- The INSTEON plug-in will be my primary use of HomeSeer I'm sure. Should I consider the full Windows version, or is the HomeTroller Pi more than good enough?
    - Is there a preference, USB PLM vs. Serial PLM? One more reliable than the other? I know in the past the Serial PLM was considered more reliable.

Leave a comment:

• BJJDad73
    started a topic considering move to HomeSeer from ISY

considering move to HomeSeer from ISY

Long time ISY user here and considering moving to HomeSeer. My home's lighting is INSTEON (80+ devices I'm sure), so HomeSeer's ability to work with and manage INSTEON is of big importance to me.

I do all of my device/link/scene management through the ISY, and also use ISY Programs for some less typical things. For example, I use a program to light up a master bedroom KeypadLinc light when any device on my 1st floor has been left on. When I press that KeypadLinc button it turns all devices on the 1st floor off.

Anyone have any experience moving from the ISY to HomeSeer that can share their experience? Anything good or bad as far as INSTEON device control and management?
Working...
X