X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Sensor II Stuck on Motion

Hi Mark,

My Motion Sensor II seems to be stuck on MOTION. I have deleted the device and re-added it but nothing seems to changed. Is this an HS4 issue??

Please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks

Brian

I would power cycle the MS first
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Hi Mark

So I have done some experimentation and figure out a couple of things. First off, I did a Factory Reset on the device. After that was complete, everything seemed to work as I had hoped. I would walk into the room and Motion was detected, light would turn on, I would leave the room, Motion stopped and light turned off.

Then I changed the Mode to Occupancy II. My problems returned. The Motion Sensor mode always said Motion and the linked light never turned off. Repeated the Factory Reset with mode set at Occupancy (not Occupancy II) and the motion detector worked as it should.

Hope that helps. What do you suggest that I should do next??

Brian

Comment

That's the way Occupancy Mode II works, it sends motion ON, but not motion OFF. In this mode you need to turn it off with an event that times out. It sounds like Mode I is what you want to use. What are you trying to do that Mode I is not working?

Comment

I wanted to use Mode II because I needed to apply multiple conditions before the light was going to be triggered off. If I try to use mode II, am I supposed to try to reset the motion sensor back to No Motion which will fail if the room has activity ? Then apply my multiple conditions to trigger the light to turn off?

Do you have any other recommendations?

Comment

Ah, now I understand. Instead of "Changes and Becomes", use the Insteon Special Trigger "Transmits an ON Command". That will trigger every time the sensor sends a motion command, regardless of the state of the Occupancy Device. Use that with Occupancy Mode I.

The special triggers also solve the problem where a device ON or OFF is missed such as when HS is down for maintenance.

Comment

Good morning

Thanks for the help. I’m going to try some different approaches today. It helps a lot to know that the sensor does not automatically kick back to a No Motion state when using Mode II. makes sense that it wouldn’t when you think about it.

I’ll let you know what happens later today.

Comment

Hi

i wanted to let you know what I’ve discovered. This is not my solution. I cobbled it together my events from Burrington’s response (thank you) sir). As he suggested, I put the motion sensor into Occupancy mode II. I used the special Insteon trigger to transmit an ON state which starts a timer. If the timer is already running then it is reset to zero but continues to run. A recurring second event turns off the light when the timer exceeds a predetermined value. Seems to work great.

Now I have a second Insteon Motion Sensor that does not want to acknowledge the Special Insteon Trigger. Don’t understand why. It is using version 46 of the motion sensor software vs version 47 in the other. As an possible related but probably unrelated note, I have determined that one of my other Insteon switches is breaking down. It is in an unknown state and will not reset. Is it possible that the rogue switch is creating a lot of bad chatter which is becoming a problem for the entire system?

thanks

Brian

Comment

pull the air gap/set button on the failing switch to cut its power. this will help determine if it was causing problems
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                  Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                  Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                  Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Hi

pulling the air gap/set button seems to have made a difference. The rogue switch was making a continuous beeping sound which only stopped when the pin was fully extended. Now that motion switch is being acknowledged.

unless you have any other suggestions, I think that switch needs to be replaced.

thanks for the suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by brmeeke View Post
                      Hi

pulling the air gap/set button seems to have made a difference. The rogue switch was making a continuous beeping sound which only stopped when the pin was fully extended. Now that motion switch is being acknowledged.

unless you have any other suggestions, I think that switch needs to be replaced.

thanks for the suggestion
                      if the switch won't factory reset and behave, then replace it.
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I am going to replace the switch.... thanks again for the help

Comment

Working...
                        X