X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trouble recovering from interface replacement

I've had two nasty events this year

While in hospital with covid, my controller died... replaced, all lights working, schedule working

on may 20, the interface 2413U died... I have another one now... BUT

it doesn't seem to connect to the devices as expected.. (I also didn't follow the replace steps I should have, as I didn't find them til too late, under manager with an undocumented link)..

the new 2413U is plugged into the same outlet as the one that died, I have rebooted the HS system (on pi)

I get this pile of messages.

1E.4B.66 is the old 2413u

trying to do the replace, doesn't reprogram any (but it sees all the 9 devices)
    also notice the misspelling , 'The device did not response'

I have reset the interface to original as well.

Alexa can control all the devices

the PLM and the HUB are in the same room on the same power circuit, on the same phase. the interface is on a short extension cord plugged into the wall. same as before..
    the UPS plug and the interface cannot be plugged in directly at the same time..

Comment

Interface_TrapError called from SendHex
      May-31 11:18:35 AM Insteon The RF PLM has failed to transmit the last 10 commands.

Comment

Insteon 3 HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.548,
        plugin version 3.0.7.1

Comment

You need to run the swap interface routine from the config page. you will need to provide the old plm ID

does the plugin see the new PLM when the plugin starts up? sometimes the COM port changes when you plugin in a new PLM.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

RE: "the UPS plug and the interface cannot be plugged in directly at the same time.."

The UPS and computer are loading and killing the Insteon powerline signal.

To resolve that, plug a FilterLinc into the wall outlet. Plug the PLM into the front (un-filtered outlet) of the FilterLinc, and plug the UPS, computer, router, modems, screens, printers, etc into the bottom (filtered outlet) of the FilterLinc. IE the only thing that should be connected directly to the power outlet is the PLM. Everything else should be filtered.

Comment

using the USB port, yes, after reboot , the plugin sees the new interface module.

i tried the replace, see the screen shot

Comment

Originally posted by Burrington View Post
                RE: "the UPS plug and the interface cannot be plugged in directly at the same time.."

The UPS and computer are loading and killing the Insteon powerline signal.

To resolve that, plug a FilterLinc into the wall outlet. Plug the PLM into the front (un-filtered outlet) of the FilterLinc, and plug the UPS, computer, router, modems, screens, printers, etc into the bottom (filtered outlet) of the FilterLinc. IE the only thing that should be connected directly to the power outlet is the PLM. Everything else should be filtered.
                been working like this for almost 5 years, actually the interface was plugged into a power strip plugged into the UPS.

Comment

on system boot, from log
                  May-31 12:21:37 PM Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in Insteon
                  May-31 12:21:37 PM Starting Plug-In Insteon loaded in 6308 milliseconds
                  May-31 12:21:37 PM Insteon Waiting to initialize External Devices...
                  May-31 12:21:37 PM Starting Plug-In Plugin Insteon started successfully in 4929 milliseconds
                  May-31 12:21:35 PM Insteon RF PLM contacted on /dev/ttyUSB0 with an Insteon address of 41.EC.37 and firmware version 9E
                  May-31 12:21:33 PM Insteon Insteon Support library (Insteon.dll) version: 1.0.7.1

Comment

Your new computer may have a different power supply than the old one. Most new computers and UPS's (and TV's, screens, printers, etc) have very good noise filters built into them. Unfortunately, those noise filters also see Insteon Powerline signals as noise and try to kill them. The FilterLinc is designed to isolate those devices from the power system so they don't kill the Insteon signals. IE, it may have worked before, but your new controller may now be stopping it from working.

I assure you, with the setup you describe, your Insteon system is working on RF only and not getting the benefit of powerline as a second path. Invest in a Filterlinc and your system will work much better!

Comment

this is a raspberry pi, same cable, same software..

I moved it all (Pi and interface) to another room... both direct plugin, same results..

been an insteon user since 2001.. well aware of the RF noise issues

Comment

Sdetweil, your frustration is showing. No need to take it out on those who are trying to help you...

Comment

Try running a log extension cord from the plm to another outlet on a different circuit in the house and see what you get

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Burrington View Post
                            Sdetweil, your frustration is showing. No need to take it out on those who are trying to help you...
                            my apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                              Try running a log extension cord from the plm to another outlet on a different circuit in the house and see what you get
                              did that before moving pi to different room.
                              no difference

hs/plm CAN control the load button on a 6 button switch
                              ​​​​​i will add this plm is previously owned ( as are all my other insteon parts)

Comment

Working...
                              X