• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whither Insteon Redux

OK, now I'm really concerned....

Update for Case 1147107 - "On/Off Module Information"
    Hi Jim,

Thank you for contacting Smarthome Support.

Our apologies for the inconvenience caused. We understand that you would like to know about the availability of our products.

Unfortunately, we are sorry to inform you that the Insteon On/Off Module is a discontinued product, and we do not have any immediate plans to bring the Insteon On/Off Module back in due to limited sales.

Again we apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Feel Free to write to us for any further assistance.

Regards,

Martin Brown

In the words of Slim Pickens (from "Blazing Saddles"),
    What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports is a-goin' on here?

The Insteon on/off plugin module is arguably THE most basic, most iconic product in the line, going back to the BSR days. If THAT'S being discontinued, what's next? Is INSTEON slowly changing its business model? Is it transitioning to a new technology? Or is it preparing for total liquidation?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

Wholey Moley

Comment

These are going out of vogue for all protocols except for WIFI. I think the WIFI pricing is driving all others out of the market.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        These are going out of vogue for all protocols except for WIFI. I think the WIFI pricing is driving all others out of the market.
        Do most of these low cost Wi-Fi units offer local control? Maybe this will drive new interest in X-10 because none of the newer technologies offer relay/appliance/on-off modules with local control.

And yes I agree this signals an end to Insteon for any practical application.

Comment

This just will not do..... Insteon has to weather the storm Their product is one of the most reliable in the market...

Wifi is not the solution for reliability

Are we about to go back to the dark ages with rocker switches.......

What's next no power.....Oh wait that's just Texas...

It's simply sad to see the loss of great products for simply marginal ones...

Comment

At least they still have this https://www.smarthome.com/products/i...f-outlet-white
            HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
            Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
              Until they run out and decide not to replenish stock on that either.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post

Until they run out and decide not to replenish stock on that either.
                It does seem like they are simply liquidating stock for some reason, maybe to cheapen the price of a buyout?

A partial list of things they have discontinued:
                • Cameras
                • Plug-in Relay Remote Switches
                • RemoteLinc
                • Tabletop Enclosures
                • X-10 backwards compatibility
                • The color Ivory
                • ...I'm sure there's a few more.
                "Limited sales"? Sounds kind of weak. Any limit on sales is self-imposed by their refusal to stir up the market with advertising. They are probably stuck in the trap of thinking that the "market potential is limited," because "HA is the domain of geeks and hobbyists." I'm old enough to remember when personal computer manufacturers thought the same thing. Back then, I remember thinking that the key to jump starting the industry was to incorporate a modem into the architecture as standard equipment, then give people a reason to use it. Lo and behold....Hayes modem on board + AOL. Something like this should have been done with Insteon a long time ago, back when they weren't just the standard, but the only game in town.

Alas, too late now. Farewell, Insteon.

Jim Speiser
                38-year veteran of Home Automation
                Still don't know squat

Comment

This is bad news but explains something that has occurred several times without explanation. Each time there was an Insteon sale over the last couple years I tried to buy several On/Off modules and each time they were “sold out”. Struck me as odd since I always tried to buy on the first day of the sale.

This is the problem with Insteon not being multi-sourced like Zwave or Zigby. Not making an On/Off module is ridiculous as it is most basic and useful for many applications where a dimmer module will not work. This is why I bought into a HomeSeer system rather than an Insteon hub. I feared this day would come.

Comment

On the UDI forum they are saying that Smarthome has a new line of products coming out which might explain some liquidation of old stock. Apparently the FCC website gives some clues about what is coming (but not when).

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post

It does seem like they are simply liquidating stock for some reason, maybe to cheapen the price of a buyout?

A partial list of things they have discontinued:
                      • Cameras
                      • Plug-in Relay Remote Switches
                      • RemoteLinc
                      • Tabletop Enclosures
                      • X-10 backwards compatibility
                      • The color Ivory
                      • ...I'm sure there's a few more.
                      "Limited sales"? Sounds kind of weak. Any limit on sales is self-imposed by their refusal to stir up the market with advertising. They are probably stuck in the trap of thinking that the "market potential is limited," because "HA is the domain of geeks and hobbyists." I'm old enough to remember when personal computer manufacturers thought the same thing. Back then, I remember thinking that the key to jump starting the industry was to incorporate a modem into the architecture as standard equipment, then give people a reason to use it. Lo and behold....Hayes modem on board + AOL. Something like this should have been done with Insteon a long time ago, back when they weren't just the standard, but the only game in town.

Alas, too late now. Farewell, Insteon.
                      The cameras were just rebranded Foscam cameras. The tabletop enclosures were also rebranded and can still be found online, I just bought one recently. Infrared control and sensing seemed like a mistake for insteon. And X10 is dead or dying. They should still sell ivory paddles, but a switch with ivory paddles already on it is just a waste of their money. In that list, I'm only concerned about the plugin on/off modules.
                      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
                      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Anyone see these announcements? Looks like they are insteon compatible (second link)

https://nokia.smartlabsinc.com/collections/nokia

https://www.the-ambient.com/news/nok...ease-date-2685
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                          Anyone see these announcements? Looks like they are insteon compatible (second link)...
                          That's good news. Maybe insteon is not dead after all.

Comment

That is good news. Now if only Nokia would make plug-in Dimmer and On/Off modules. That is mostly what I use along with in-wall toggle switches.

Comment

I'm not in love with that dial dimmer. its so 70s
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                              Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                              Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                              Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
                              X