No announcement yet.

Whither Insteon Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following - I sure hope they recover. I'm building a new house and really want to use Insteon. It's been rock solid in the current house.

Comment

Originally posted by JRose View Post
      Following - I sure hope they recover. I'm building a new house and really want to use Insteon. It's been rock solid in the current house.
      I'm with you, but I don't think this is just supply chain. As soon as the new people took over a few years ago, they started discontinuing products. And for some reason they're very coy about it - you'll look up something on their website and it will say "Sold Out." But then you write to customer service and ask if the backlog has cleared up, and they'll telll you that product has been discontinued. Happened to me twice now. Why they don't just remove it from their website - and why they're doing it in the first place - total mystery. And a total shame. They had the smart home market by the cebollas, at a time when it started taking off, but did they capitalize? Noooooooooo......they cut and run!

Jim Speiser
      38-year veteran of Home Automation
      Still don't know squat

Comment

You guys do know that they put themselves up for sale with immediate effect about a month and a half ago. Not sure where they stand now. They might just be selling off excess stock.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
          You guys do know that they put themselves up for sale with immediate effect about a month and a half ago. Not sure where they stand now. They might just be selling off excess stock.
          Yes, I know it's for sale. And "selling off excess stock" is one thing, completely dropping popular products is another - again, counter-productive, as it lowers the value (and therefore asking price) of the company. It's like it was taken over by a vulture capitalist...I wonder if Mitt Romney is involved....

Jim Speiser
          Still don't know squat

Comment

LOL, Yup, I know about working for PE backed firms. And maybe not excess stock but all stock if they are planning on going belly up. Explains the comment that the product was discontinued if it's showing out of stock.

Comment

Has anyone actually reached out and asked Smarthome yet? I did last week. Here is their repsonse after I asked if Insteon was discontinued because I would like to purchase more:

Our apologies for the inconvenience caused. We understand that you would like to know about the availability of our products, we would be happy to assist you further!

The issue is primarily due to component shortages, we have to be selective on where they are allocated.

For us, our core products are switches, keypads, and outlets. As such that is where the manufacturing is currently focused.

We are still experiencing significant issues with our supply chain. We hope to have products back in stock by mid of this year.

Again we apologize for the inconvenience caused.
              HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
              Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
                Has anyone actually reached out and asked Smarthome yet? I did last week. Here is their repsonse after I asked if Insteon was discontinued because I would like to purchase more:
                Switches and keypads and outlets, oh my! That, plus a couple of modules, is what I'm after. Sounds like you are too. So they're going to focus their manufacturing on those items. Well, that's a hopeful note. We shall see.

Jim Speiser
                Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post

Switches and keypads and outlets, oh my! That, plus a couple of modules, is what I'm after...
                  There is a large batch of used Insteon stuff listed for sale on the Universal Devices forum but he is only willing to sell the entire lot, not individual pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post

There is a large batch of used Insteon stuff listed for sale on the Universal Devices forum but he is only willing to sell the entire lot, not individual pieces.
                    If it's a really large batch, I might just take the plunge, and then piece it out myself.

Jim Speiser
                    Still don't know squat

Comment

If it's a really large batch, I might just take the plunge, and then piece it out myself.
                      Do it, just do it! I need a plugin dimmer or two :-)
                      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
                      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Too late. It has been sold.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post

Too late. It has been sold.

Jim Speiser
                          Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post

Do it, just do it! I need a plugin dimmer or two :-)
                            I think I have a couple of plugin dimmers left over. PM if interested and I can look them up for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X