Migrate a large insteon system to a new install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrate a large insteon system to a new install

I believe the database is stored in the PLM. I thought I would be able to move the PLM to the new system and all of the devices would be there. No such luck, the interfaces is communicating, but nothing shows up.

I'm doing this because my main HS system cannot synchronize with Google . When I setup a new system, they can communicate with google home. I'm trying to migrate the main system to a new system without copying whatever is messing up with Google home. HS support should fix this, but they can't.

95% of my devices are Insteon, so if I can get these devices migrated, that will be the majority of the work.

Thanks!

i dont completely following what you are trying to do

the plm database only stores links, it doesn't store specific device information

if you are just moving your hs installation to a new server, then you just need to copy everything in the hs root folder.

you can't just move the plm to a fresh hs install. the plugin doesn't read the plm link database. you will need to register the devices via the plugin

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I think my problem is somewhat unique. If I just copy the HS folder, the problem moves. I haven't had any luck with support tickets. I have resigned myself to go with a "new" install. I'm hoping to copy individual plugins to the new system until either the problem moves or it doesn't. in either case, it seems like the path to take. This way, I won't need support from HS.

Insteon is so much of the system, I can easily rebuild the rest even if I can't migrate anything else.

thanks for the info on what the plm does

Comment

this might be a more accurate description "I'm trying to move my existing large insteon database & plm to a fresh HS install without copying the HS directory"

The problem actually moves with the serial number associated with the syste.m if I move it to different myhs account, the problem moves with the system/serial . If using a different serial number, I have no issues with Google home connectivity no matter which myhs account I use.

Comment

yah that sounds like an HS issues. in general if you copy your homeseer hsd or json file and the insteon.ini. you should be able to copy/move the insteon setup without issue. you need to select the database from the setup page, and then reinstall the insteon plugin
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I can't get the MH integration to work on my current system. I am migrating. I was successful at getting the database migrated to a different Windows HS install by following your directions of simply copying the two files, insteon .json and .ini. Thanks for that help. No matter what, at least I'll be able to get back running on Windows. That's a relief.

My brief testing with a Pi4 seem to indicate they are plenty of horsepower for HS, I was happily surprised when watching top -1.

I tried to move the two files to the Pi, that took a while, my Linux is limited. once there, it was like I never copied the files, the same 3 base devices continued to show up.

Can you identify the files, and how and where to move them? I found I couldn't Filezilla to the pi, I didn't have write access, I don't know that much about Linux security, so I found I could copy from the Pi console using sudo ftp. That gives you a sense of where I am with Linux.

Thanks

Comment

you will need to copy the config/insteon.ini to the new server along with your active homeseer database which should be located in the data folder with an extension hsd in hs3 or .json in hs4. I would suggest using google to get help with linux or maybe post in the regular hs forums

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...pro-discussion
              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...s4pro-software
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
              X