Dreaded Insteon.INI wipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreaded Insteon.INI wipe

running great for years, the usb port failed. Ok no big deal. Pop it to a new port.

rebooted, hs3 complained, yep, I know. new com port. ok.
    ​That's my insteon plugin version.

Put the new com port # in, re-enabled the plugin, found it, great.

Wait a minute, no devices?!?! Checked the entire HS3 folder structure for some sort of backup, NOTHING FOUND. insteon.ini is now 1k.

I know better. I should have backed it up. DAMN. Google time. Found the "insteon device" in my list -- it's my current 1k config with no devices. DAMN.

Am I not going to get this file back? Do I need to rebuild? Oh please don't say that. Here's my current HS3 device count
    Filtered, showing 421 of 514 Devices.​

Ok. I'm at your mercy, what's next?

Help in TN

Have you looked for a file called Insteon.ini.bak in the same location as Insteon.ini?
    Billy

Comment

Originally posted by bdraper View Post
      Have you looked for a file called Insteon.ini.bak in the same location as Insteon.ini?
      ... and if you find one, just rename it to "Insteon.ini" to get things working again.

Comment

I did, its from Aug2019! Uggh! Also no luck undeleting anything resembling insteon.ini from 128,000 file choices 🤦‍♂️

Comment

I reread the insteon device "insteon plugin" instructions and it dawned on me that I never looked after I changed configs to the "latest before the outage" -- well I did that (it was HS_7) and went back to look at the insteon plugin device under "insteon" and voila,

IT WAS THERE. SAVED BY THE SANDLER. Thank you sir.

Comment

Glad you got it resolved without a total re-build - yay! And you've made a full system backup now in case something else goes wrong, right???😁

Mark is taking some well-earned time off for the holidays.

Comment

Wrote up a quick script to store off to a thumb drive, here you go community:

install winrar and then set this script to run with task scheduler each night. 👍

Probably easily mod for HS4
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice - thanks for sharing!

FYI, HS4 has a nice backup facility built right in whenever you decide to upgrade.

Comment

Glad to hear you are back online.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                  Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                  Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                  Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
                  X