This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon local ON/OFF logging

Does anyone have the ability to log local on and off transitions for Insteon? I have the plugin working great but would like log entries in HS2 when the switches are turned on and off at the switch itself.

You must poll the switch to get local status for Insteon. If you add an X10 address it will report it's status instantly.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
      You must poll the switch to get local status for Insteon. If you add an X10 address it will report it's status instantly.
      Thanks Rupp, I am using polling, and for the status of the devices on the webpage it works great but I am not seeing anything in the log file. Do you get log entries when you use the switch to turn things on and off? I found the work around, and assigned x10 addresses to the switches I need to monitor, which gives me a log entry, but was hoping I could do it without the additional x10 overhead.

Comment

Are you doing something with the log that you need a log entry for each detected change? Most people find the X10 logging extremely annoying and turn it off for each device. Events firing do not depend on logging at all.

Jon

Originally posted by digidoc
        Thanks Rupp, I am using polling, and for the status of the devices on the webpage it works great but I am not seeing anything in the log file. Do you get log entries when you use the switch to turn things on and off? I found the work around, and assigned x10 addresses to the switches I need to monitor, which gives me a log entry, but was hoping I could do it without the additional x10 overhead.
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com
        (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Originally posted by Oman
          Are you doing something with the log that you need a log entry for each detected change? Most people find the X10 logging extremely annoying and turn it off for each device. Events firing do not depend on logging at all.

Jon
          Hi Jon,
          I would like to see how many times a light is turned on and off, the length of time on is is on and have a database entry for each device. Probably nothing that would interest most people. As you said, people may find it annoying. I use UltraLog and have queries for stats and with Insteon have lost the ability to log local switching. Maybe something like "Insteon Recieved" like the "X10 Received" that currently fills our logs with a check box for do it or don't. Is there maybe another way I can intercept device status change that I can route to a database?

Comment

You can setup an event to fire when "Status changed to on" and "Status changed to off" and take whatever logging action you want. If the control is done from HomeSeer the event will be immediate, if it is caused because of polling then it will be after the light actually changes.

Jon

Originally posted by digidoc
            Hi Jon,
            I would like to see how many times a light is turned on and off, the length of time on is is on and have a database entry for each device. Probably nothing that would interest most people. As you said, people may find it annoying. I use UltraLog and have queries for stats and with Insteon have lost the ability to log local switching. Maybe something like "Insteon Recieved" like the "X10 Received" that currently fills our logs with a check box for do it or don't. Is there maybe another way I can intercept device status change that I can route to a database?
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com
            (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Well, after a couple hours of testing, I have made a discovery. Maybe a new one, maybe not. As Jon stated in the previous post, I overlooked the obvious and created an event for status change to on and off and with hs.writelog got the results desired. This worked very well with Insteon switches but not at all with Icon switches. I haven't ruled out bad Icon switches yet but all things point to a big difference between Insteon and Icon. Aside from cost that is. I'll be exploring this further as time permits.

Update!!!!

I spoke to soon. In my haste I turned the switches on and off and expected to see results in the log file. The Icon switch behavior IS like the Insteon switch. The mistake I made is I didn't wait long enough until the switch was polled by the plug-in! I created events for a few more rooms and nothing got logged. The difference was I didn't have polling set in the plug-in. When I hit the "poll devices" button to do it manually, they all created log entries as they should!
              The lesson was learned the hard way, but at least I am happy with the outcome.
              Last edited by digidoc; January 23, 2006, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X