This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you add Insteon devices?

Help! How to you add an Insteon device. I've installed the plug-in, I realize that adding devices gets done through the device config, rather than how EVERY OTHER DEVICE GETS ADDED IN HOMESEER, but I don't know the steps. Do I have to put either the device or the PLC in Link mode? How's this work? I'm lost. And I can't believe that HomeSeer has provided NO DOCUMENTATION and not even the most basic of instructions for the plug-in that they're developing.

I've been a HomeSeer user for years. First the 2.0 move to their lacking web interface, now the failure to provide ANY information for INSTEON. Jeez, I'm frustrated.

I have the same question and the same complaint. There is not even the most basic of instructions for this plugin. Most of the time these things are intuitive and easy to figure out but not the case with the Insteon plugin.

Comment

I've asked repetitively for someone to take the time to write up a quick start guide but it seems everyone just wants help and never offer it.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Quick start:

1) Use the updater to install the plug-in.
        2) Follow the instructions that display within the updater, so that the SDM gets installed.
        3) Go to the Setup page in HomeSeer. Go to the Interfaces tab. Click the "Disabled" button for the Insteon plug-in to enable it.
        4) Click Save
        5) Click on the "Config" button for the Insteon plug-in.
        6) Depending on the version of the plug-in select List/Edit devices, then Add device.
        7) Give the device a name, location, and put in the Insteon Address. Depending on the version you might want polling or you might not.
        8) Repeat for each device.

If you want local load control change notification then you will need to tap-link each device to HomeSeer. To do this following the tap-link instuctions for your device and then press and hold the PLC button for 10 seconds to create the link. Repeat for each device. Now go and select the edit option for each device and then the "Download links" option.

All of this will change with the next update to the beta. Some steps will vary depending on the exact device you are using. That's why there isn't full documentation yet. It is an early beta.

Jon

Originally posted by Rupp
        I've asked repetitively for someone to take the time to write up a quick start guide but it seems everyone just wants help and never offer it.
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com
        (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

See Jon's reply, and here's why

Originally posted by Rupp
          Rupp,

With all due respect, I have to say: "Oh, come on. That's not fair."

Jon wrote up a very nice quick start guide here, but as he says it's all going to change in the next update. Also, the instructions Jon outlines can be found with just a bit of reading through this section of the board in a few minutes (maybe an hour's) time. I've posted similar instructions to Jon's in the past in reply to questions as have many others as we try to "communally" help each other. And I'm probably the most tech-ignorant regular on this board!

The problem is that no one wants to invest the necessary time to write up a good set of instructions if - as our guru Jon states - it's going to change in a matter of days. I'm happy to volunteer to write up a quick idiot's guide (it would have to be if I write it) "one pager" once the plugin (and Insteon) are in a more stable place. But for now, perhaps an early beta is not the best thing for a complete novice to use.

I admit that I and many others are not quite as devoted to HS as you (and I greatly respect and appreciate that devotion!), but we're not total slackers either...

Best,

Joe
          Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Joe,
            I'm not sure what you were referring to when you stated "Jon wrote up a very nice quick start guide here" but I now see that Jon graciously posted what I was looking for - few steps to get started. If you have been using this plugin from the start I'm sure setting this up is easy for you but for a first time user this Insteon setup is quite confusing. I'm sure it will change several times from now till it's first official release but how long does it really take to type out 8 steps? I think your over thinking this. Jon gave me what I was after and what I was after wasn't a Word document just a few easy steps.

Thanks Jon for doing this.

Comment

Agree to Disagree

Rupp,

I was referring to the steps Jon outlined right above my earlier post.

Your points are noted, so we have to agree to disagree, I think. And I still volunteer to write up a simple set of steps (likely similar to what Jon did, if it will help the cause) once things are more stable.
              Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Originally posted by Madcodger
                Rupp,
                And I still volunteer to write up a simple set of steps (likely similar to what Jon did, if it will help the cause) .
                No need! Jon already did. The steps Jon did have remained the same since the inception of the plugin so I'm still confused as to what a more stable plugin has to do with the steps outlined?

Comment

Updater? What ... is.... updater?

Comment

Working...
                  X