Insteon indicator lights when using 3 dimmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon indicator lights when using 3 dimmers

I am using 3 insteon dimmers to control my kitchen lights. The load is controlled by a Switchlinc V2. The other two dimmers are Icons. The dimmers are all linked to one another, and when I physically press any one dimmer to turn on/off the load, the indicator lights on each paddle go off/on as expected (turning the load on turns the 3 indicators off; turning the load off turns the 3 indicators all on). That is, all the cross linking between the dimmers appears to be correct.

However, if I use homeseer to control the load, only the indicator on the load switch responds appropriately. So, for example, if I use Homeseer to turn off the load, the indicators on the other two (non load) dimmers do not go on.

Here are the links for the 3 devices:

The load switch:

<HR noShade>Link# 1 - Switch/Load is controlled by HomeSeer (Using Insteon Link# 254) HomeSeer 'All Devices Group'
    Link# 2 - Switch/Load has local control reporting to HomeSeer
    Link# 3 - Switch/Load controls Kitchen Lights (Hallway non load) (03.76.A8)
    Link# 4 - Switch/Load is controlled by Kitchen Lights (Hallway non load) (03.76.A8) (Using Insteon Link# 1) Outlet
    Link# 5 - Switch/Load controls Kitchen Lights (Back Wall non load) (03.B5.AB)
    Link# 6 - Switch/Load is controlled by Kitchen Lights (Back Wall non load) (03.B5.AB) (Using Insteon Link# 1) Outlet
    Link# 7 - Switch/Load is controlled by HomeSeer (Using Insteon Link# 7) Group #1 '1 House Whole House On/Off' - On Level 100%, Ramp Rate .1 Sec.
    Link# 8 - Switch/Load is controlled by HomeSeer (Using Insteon Link# 8) Group #2 '1 House Arrival Lights' - On Level 100%, Ramp Rate .1 Sec.
    Link# 9 - Switch/Load is controlled by HomeSeer (Using Insteon Link# 11) Group #5 '1 House Sleep' - On Level 100%, Ramp Rate .1 Sec.

One non load dimmer:
    Link# 1 - Outlet is controlled by Kitchen Lights (load) (03.4F.24) (Using Insteon Link# 1) Switch/Load
    Link# 2 - Outlet controls Kitchen Lights (load) (03.4F.24)
    Link# 3 - Outlet controls Kitchen Lights (Back Wall non load) (03.B5.AB)
    Link# 4 - Outlet is controlled by Kitchen Lights (Back Wall non load) (03.B5.AB) (Using Insteon Link# 1) Outlet
    Link# 5 - Outlet is controlled by HomeSeer (Using Insteon Link# 254) HomeSeer 'All Devices Group'
    Link# 6 - Outlet has local control reporting to HomeSeer

And the other non load dimmer:
    Link# 1 - Outlet is controlled by Kitchen Lights (load) (03.4F.24) (Using Insteon Link# 1) Switch/Load
    Link# 2 - Outlet controls Kitchen Lights (load) (03.4F.24)
    Link# 3 - Outlet is controlled by Kitchen Lights (Hallway non load) (03.76.A8) (Using Insteon Link# 1) Outlet
    Link# 4 - Outlet controls Kitchen Lights (Hallway non load) (03.76.A8)
    Link# 5 - Outlet is controlled by HomeSeer (Using Insteon Link# 254) HomeSeer 'All Devices Group'
    Link# 6 - Outlet has local control reporting to HomeSeer

I'd appreciate any help on how to solve this.
    thanks

From what I understand, what you are experiencing is normal. In order to have all three switches indicate the same status, you have to create conditional events that will update the slave switches when they fall out of sync.

Comment

Cross-linking is just a fancy way of saying that each switch is linked to each of the others. Every link is to one other switch. No other switch or controller can use any other switches link. Links are only used when the paddle is pressed, not when another switch turns the switch on. Therefore there is no way for HomeSeer to take advantage of the links within the switches. You have have HomeSeer control each switch in your group, either by turning each one on/off or creating a group within HomeSeer and controlling that group.

Jon

Originally posted by jamesx0 View Post
      From what I understand, what you are experiencing is normal. In order to have all three switches indicate the same status, you have to create conditional events that will update the slave switches when they fall out of sync.
      Jon Ort
      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

thanks for responding; I did a work around using events triggered by Device Status Change, and updating the slave dimmers.

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
          thanks for responding; I did a work around using events triggered by Device Status Change, and updating the slave dimmers.
          Care to provide a bit more details? What status did you use for the workaround?
          Thanks in advance!
          ____________________________________________________________ ____
          Alexandra from NDR Electric

Comment

I'm sure what jono did was made two new events like this:

If "NameofLoadSwitch" Changes and Becomes ON
            Then
            Set Device "NameOfSlaveSwitch1" to ON
            Set Device "NameOfSlaveSwitch2" to ON

And second event for OFF.

In that way, any time the controlled load switch changes state for any reason, the slaves will be sent commands to match.

Comment

Events can definitely solve the issue here, but there is also the "Sync linked responder devices" checkbox in the device's Insteon config page. I use this sparingly, and I forget why. I did recently enable this for a few devices and got the desired outcome.
              HomeSeer 3, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Smart Speakers, Foscam cameras, Amcrest camera, RCA HSDB2a doorbell
              Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Working...
              X