X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLC vs PLM useage with Insteon Lighting Plugin

All,
    i would like to get a sense from this community of how many people are using the PLC vs the PLM with the Insteon Lighting plugin. ISY users need not apply

I am concerned that maintaining compatibility with the PLC will slow down progress on the plugin. I personally use the PLM.

Please submit your vote and post any comments you have on the subject.
    PLM
    67.65%
    PLC
    32.35%

The poll is expired.

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

I use a PLC (voted above)

I could possibly see myself purchasing a PLM to replace the PLC for $70...

But i don't see myself doing both a PLM and ISY... at a price over $350...... it's just too rich.. and the existing PLC plugin functions well as it is now...

The almost $300 premium is too much for me to spend to add "Future" functionality... with devices/switches that i don't envision having yet.... so if the PLC development stopped... I'd just stick with the most recent PLC Plugin even though it would no longer be developed.. or probably supported if something "broke"..

I've had such a problem with the microswitches in the switches... they started failing about 2 years after purchase ... that i'm not going to buy any more insteon products... unless there is a "must have" that can't be done with Z-wave, X10 RF, or other solutions...

Just my $0.02 worth.
    Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Mark - The PLM is likely to have a much better shelf life and offers an easier transition to the ISY controller, should users opt for that at some time in the future.

Mark
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I am very glad to see some development happen on the side of Insteon. It's been a challenge to integrate some devices into my HomeSeer, but overall, HS is just so versatile to use in a home automation system.

I still use HouseLinc2 for link management, as devices such as keypadlincs often get too complex for using any other tool.

-Joe

Comment

I'm using a PLM as my PLC failed this year and Smarthome said that they didn't sell them anymore.

BTW I have had paddle failures and Smarthome has replaced each one. Original warranty is 7 years. Earlier I never really noticed the paddle failures because many of the lights were automatic with no user interaction.

Mark & Mark, thank you for your Insteon efforts.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

PLM here. As an early adpoter of Insteon I did use the PLC since it was the only interface at the time. The main problem was with the SDM. It would crash and lock up the whole system.

I would highly recommend the PLM to anyone still using the PLC.
            Bryan
            Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
            Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

I have a PLC but am exchanging it for a PLM this weekend. When I went to the smarthome store just 2 weeks ago they sold me the PLC and I didn't know what I was doing .

BTW for people looking to do the ISY thing, I saw the isy-26's for around 70 on ebay, with lots of them available.

Comment

I've been using the PLC for a long time and have been reluctant to switch since it is working so well. I'm also concerned about the transition to a PLM since I do not have physical access to that location very often, or for a long period of time to ensure reliability.

That being said...I recently purchased HL2 with a PLM off of ebay so that I can start integrating KPLs into my home setup. I look forward to any continued support for the non-ISY solution.

Comment

I use to use the PLC but got a new computer which has Vista 64 bit on it. Well the PLC would not load and Smarthome said that the PLC is not supported in Vista 64 bit. So I bought the PLM and have never looked back. Works like a charm with the latest version of the plugin.

Thanks Mark!

Comment

recently switched

I used the USB PLC for many years, but it quit working last week. Got a PLM last Friday and am happy I made the switch.

Comment

Speed !!!

The PLM is much quicker than the PLC,, Plus the extra overhead of the SDM..

Comment

I got one of the ISY-26 ebay specials and can't seem to get it to connect to the PLM. Does it need a different cable pinout from the one that comes with the PLM?

Comment

Originally posted by sqhughes View Post
                          I got one of the ISY-26 ebay specials and can't seem to get it to connect to the PLM. Does it need a different cable pinout from the one that comes with the PLM?
                          i'll direct you to the ISY forum for this question
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
                          X