X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i2 protocol - avoid or go for it?

All,

I'm trying to find info on the i2 protocol (mentioned by Mark in the version history of the plug-in).

My last purchase of SwitchLincs 2476D go back 2007. I need some additional units. So, should I ask for at least FW version 30 in order to get i2?

I'm all for bleeding edge, but I've seen some pretty ugly posts on the i2 protocol and what surprised me was that the posts range from 2009 up to 2010. A search on SmartHome for "i2" returns zilch. Weird.

Question-1: anybody purchase i2 Insteon devices in the last 3 months or so? Problems?

Question-2: where can I get technical info on i2?

Claude,

If you order from SH, you will get the i2 device. they always put the latest firmware on the device before its shipped. So you might have problems getting i1 devices from them or any vendor for that matter.

i2 is just an abbrev for "insteon protocol 2" which is the newer set of cmds the devices supports via the firmware. the physical switches are basically the same. SH doesn't publish the protocol to the public, its only avail to insteon developers.

subjective comments...

I don't have a lot of exp with i2 switchlincs, but the relays, kpls, motion sensors, and triggerlincs that i have seen to work just fine.

others will be able to comment on the quality, reliability, etc. of the switchlinc devices.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I2 protocol - orders from Canada

Aartech.ca is one of the very few 'reasonably priced' on-line dealers in Canada (no personal association). I'll ask them which FW version they stock for SwitchLincs.

As for i2 reliability, what I've gathered from reading a gazillion posts is that i1 devices won't retransmit i2 commands, as expected, so that in a house with many i1 devices and just a few i2 devices, and in a house where line noise is a problem, and in a house where there is no phase bridge (access points), one might have issues with i2 commands not being recognized. Now, that's a lot of IF's.

What's not clear, because the protocol is apparently not public, is how i2 commands are used. Isn't there at least a synopsis of the protocol, somewhere?
      Last edited by claude; May 9, 2010, 03:41 PM.

Comment

as far as the plugin is concerned the i2 cmds are used for programming links and settings on a given device. normal operations still uses i1 cmds.

every house needs an insteon phase coupler so anyone trying to run insteon without it is just asking for problems regardless of i1 vs i2. the access points work. i also have a hardwired coupler installed on the panel.

line noise is going to kill i1 and i2 msgs equally; you must reduce powerline noice if you are going to use insteon.

I really don't understand any of the arguments your read for avoiding i2, they seem to apply to i1 as well and all can be avoided except for the one that saids i1 devices don't forward i2 msgs. That is where the access points come in.

check out the following document for more info
        http://www.insteon.net/pdf/insteondetails.pdf
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I've found the newer models to be extremely reliable and now with the ability to change the brightness of the LEDs has also increased the WAF. I currently have 85 Insteon light switches and modules around the house, and over the past two years, I've had to replace just about everyone of the light switches. So, you can say that I've seen the worst and the best from the company. They did an excellent job of replacing the faulty units!
          -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
          HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Working...
          X