This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to link remote, KPL, and FanLinc?

I have a FanLinc, mini-RemoteLinc, and a KPL. I am wondering how to link/cross link these.

Through HS, I linked the RemoteLinc buttons for on and off to the FanLinc, and it works. I also linked two KPL buttons for on, off, and they work. I have not linked two other buttons for medium and low speeds, but I think I am to link to 60% and 30% respectively (please confirm). Now, how do I link back to the KPL so the buttons light properly? Do I link with the FanLinc as the controller, to the KPL buttons as the responder or do I link with the remote as the controller and the buttons as the responder?

TIA,

BD

For medium and low link to 60% and 30% respectively

Link with the remote as the controller and the kpl buttons & fanlinc as the responders. the fanlinc is a responder only
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks for adding radio button controls!!

Now, I have my KPL and FanLinc working together perfectly. Press FAN HIGH (button A), the fan goes on high and the KPL button lights and stays lit (I have non-toggle ON button modes set). If I hit FAN OFF (button D) the fan goes off and the button lights. Same for buttons B and C, FAN MED and FAN LOW, respectively.

Now, regarding the remote... I have linked button 3 on the remote to KPL button A. Hitting button 3 up turns the fan on and lights KPL button A - as expected. And button 3 turns the fan off and turns off KPL button - as expected. But button D on the KPL also stays lit. That is, the radio button function does not work when the buttons are responders.

BTW I tried linking the remote button 3 to control KPL button D, using OFF as the command, but the link process failed via error.

Any ideas how to make this work properly? If you need screen shots or more details, let me know.

TIA!

-BD

Comment

BD,
        the kpl radio btns do not update when controlled remotely. this is a basic flaw in the design of the kpl.

your best bet is to update them via a script or set of events.

you might try enabling the 'trigger group' feature on the kpl btns and see if you can get them to stay in sync when you control the btns from the hs status page. this might help a little.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Good idea. I will have HS clean up the buttons!

-BD

Comment

I *think* I am seeing something slightly different I was trying to figure out last night... My setup is simpler (though will probably eventually go the same route), as currently I just have a KPL and a Fanlinc. The original owners of the house didn't run the extra load line to differentiate the fan from the light... so using the KPL and have the Fanlinc wired so always on (IOW the switch does nothing.) I set up A, B, C, D for the fan speeds and off. When I hit A on the KPL, it turns on to the level I want. If I then hit B, both A and B were now lit I have to toggle the buttons to turn them off). I tried creating a group so that if I hit A, it shuts off B, C, D and created similar groups for them as well, but no change. What's weird is when I then look in HS after I hit the buttons, it shows ALL the buttons (A - D) on... if I poll the status, it then looks correct. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!

-Mike

Comment

Mike,
              did you use the latest plugin to create the radio button groups on the kpl? please give this a try
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                Mike,
                did you use the latest plugin to create the radio button groups on the kpl? please give this a try
                I did load the 1.7.2 and saw the radio button groups, but didn't know what it was for Is there any details on that somewhere?

Thanks!

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mloebl View Post
                  I did load the 1.7.2 and saw the radio button groups, but didn't know what it was for Is there any details on that somewhere?

Thanks!

-Mike
                  I'll refer you to the kpl manual for a better understand if what the feature does/can do?

to program it, just select Radio Group 1 for buttons a,b,c,d and then click the Program button Groups
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I'll refer you to the kpl manual for a better understand if what the feature does/can do?

to program it, just select Radio Group 1 for buttons a,b,c,d and then click the Program button Groups

I'll try that out tonight, thank you!

Do I still need to do the "turn off A, B, C if turning on D" within the button groups?

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mloebl View Post
                      I'll try that out tonight, thank you!

Do I still need to do the "turn off A, B, C if turning on D" within the button groups?

-Mike
                      if you are referring to an event you created, then yes. the kpl radio btns only work if controlled locally/manually. they do not work if controlled via a link.
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

if you are referring to an event you created, then yes. the kpl radio btns only work if controlled locally/manually. they do not work if controlled via a link.
                        Bingo... Thank you!!

-Mike

Comment

Mark,

Has anything regarding your plugin changed regarding its ability for a kpl to respond to a remotelinc? I know there are firmware requirements in the kpl, i.e. >.40 for this to work properly.

Some background, I'm evaluating the use of homeseer + your plugin vs an ISY based solution. And for the record, I'm a HA newbie, so please be kind. Still learning terminology, best practices, just about everything.

I have relatively easily configured ISY with only six scenes to fully integrate a kpl, fanlinc and remotelinc together; fan and light controls. In reading these forums I have not found a similar solution using homeseer and the plm plugin. More specifically that kpl buttons respond to remotelinc keypresses. Is this still the case, or can you point me to an best practice example how to accomplish that integration?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ruderthanyou View Post
                            Mark,

Has anything regarding your plugin changed regarding its ability for a kpl to respond to a remotelinc? I know there are firmware requirements in the kpl, i.e. >.40 for this to work properly.

Some background, I'm evaluating the use of homeseer + your plugin vs an ISY based solution. And for the record, I'm a HA newbie, so please be kind. Still learning terminology, best practices, just about everything.

I have relatively easily configured ISY with only six scenes to fully integrate a kpl, fanlinc and remotelinc together; fan and light controls. In reading these forums I have not found a similar solution using homeseer and the plm plugin. More specifically that kpl buttons respond to remotelinc keypresses. Is this still the case, or can you point me to an best practice example how to accomplish that integration?

Thanks
                            Welcome.

i don't there is a documented best practice for this setup here.

You can program a kpl to control a fanlinc with the necessary links but there is not a single function that does this for you automatically. As for the remotelinc, this would be a manual linking exercise as well between the remotelinc and the fanlinc and the kpl.

the plugin does not recognize the relationship between a kpl and fanlinc; it only seems links.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                            X