This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble adding 2842 Motion Sensors

I'm trying to add my two motion Sensors (2842-222) to my Insteon network and I can't get them recognized by the plugin. i have tried tap to Add and manually with no luck. I'm using version 1.9.1.3 of the plugin.

Can someone list the steps required to get these devices added?

Thanks in advance.

MSs are RF only, so you must have other dual-band devices to communicate with the PLM unless you are installing the MS close to the plm.

otherwise, just start linking mode on the MS by holding the set btn down for 4 secs then manually register the device with the plugin.

if this doesn't work, then you have a comm issue.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark,

I do have some dual mode devices on the Insteon network and I have a couple of triggerlink devices working already. I have even put my PLM in link mode and was able to link the motions sensor to the PLM but i'm unable to get the plugin to register the motion sensor.

Judd

Comment

the MSs need to be in linking mode in order to register; even if you have already linked them to the plm

linking mode is also listening mode for RF devices. they won't listen if not in linking mode.

so start linking mode and then try to register one
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks for your help Mark.

I was not putting the Sensor in linking mode before I tried adding the device to the plugin. I was doing it in reverse order.

Judd

Comment

I too was having some issues trying to connect my new Insteon Motion Sensor (2842-222) REV 2.4 with Insteon PLM Plug-in v1.7.3.1 this morning. I have the MS right next to the PLM and placed the MS into linking mode by holding the SET button for 5 seconds, the red LED starts to blink. Then I go to my computer and manually add the device but I always get an error that the device did not respond. I also have 2 Dual-Mode Insteon devices in the home working correctly that should act as an additional RF bridge.

Am I missing something? Do I need to place the PLM in a pairing mode first and if so how is that done?

-Thanks
            Last edited by Sinandgrin; November 23, 2013, 09:33 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by Sinandgrin View Post
              I too was having some issues trying to connect my new Insteon Motion Sensor (2842-222) REV 2.4 with Insteon PLM Plug-in v1.7.3.1 this morning. I have the MS right next to the PLM and placed the MS into linking mode by holding the SET button for 5 seconds, the red LED starts to blink. Then I go to my computer and manually add the device but I always get an error that the device did not respond. I also have 2 Dual-Mode Insteon devices in the home working correctly that should act as an additional RF bridge.

Am I missing something? Do I need to place the PLM in a pairing mode first and if so how is that done?

-Thanks
              can you try the latest release in the Updater and report back.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                can you try the latest release in the Updater and report back.
                I really was hopping not to have to pay the $59.99 for version 2.0 since I will be upgrading to HS3 in the not to distant future and will have to pay for V3.0 when I do that. I am waiting for my Sage thermostat plug-in to be available to HS3 and then I will make the switch to HS3.

I suppose I could upgrade to the beta version 1.9.1 and see if that helps, I was just concerned running buggy beta versions as apposed to 1.7.3.1 which never caused me any problems.

In a jpape's post he said that he put the PLM into linking mode as well as the MS and I wondered it that was necessary and if so how is that done. In the PLM manual I have it's not very clear how that is accomplished, probably just hold the set button for a given time period, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Sinandgrin View Post
                  I really was hopping not to have to pay the $59.99 for version 2.0 since I will be upgrading to HS3 in the not to distant future and will have to pay for V3.0 when I do that. I am waiting for my Sage thermostat plug-in to be available to HS3 and then I will make the switch to HS3.

I suppose I could upgrade to the beta version 1.9.1 and see if that helps, I was just concerned running buggy beta versions as apposed to 1.7.3.1 which never caused me any problems.

In a jpape's post he said that he put the PLM into linking mode as well as the MS and I wondered it that was necessary and if so how is that done. In the PLM manual I have it's not very clear how that is accomplished, probably just hold the set button for a given time period, right?
                  v2.0 is a free upgrade since you already own a license
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

v2.0 is a free upgrade since you already own a license
                    Thank you for clarifying that, I have now installed the latest version 2.0.0 and still am having an issue.

"The Insteon device at 27.8C.AA did not respond. Please check to make sure the address is correct and that the device is powered-up. The device was not registered."

Here is a snippet of my LOG file if that helps at all.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Sinandgrin; November 23, 2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

please factory reset the MS and try again. check the manual for this procedure.

btw, its not a rf comm issue, the ms is responding just not what is expected.
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

please factory reset the MS and try again. check the manual for this procedure.

btw, its not a rf comm issue, the ms is responding just not what is expected.

Ok I tried that a few times but no luck here. I even put in a different (valid but not real) Insteon address and got the same LOG msg saying "Got RF PLM response from ..." so I'm not sure if it in fact is receiving data.

Just to clarify I am setting the MS to linking mode, by holding the SET button for 5 seconds. Then in the Insteon config screen I am selecting ADD A NEW INSTEON DEVICE. Manually add a device by entering the Insteon ID.

I am not doing anything to the actual PLM, just letting the software look for and configure the MS.

Comment

you can try link the ms to the plm manually.

put the ms into linking mode and then put the plm into linking mode by holding the plm set btn for 3 secs.

then try to register the device with the plugin

if that doesn't work, try the other way, start with putting the plm into linking mode and then put the ms into linking mode.

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

you can try link the ms to the plm manually.

put the ms into linking mode and then put the plm into linking mode by holding the plm set btn for 3 secs.

if that doesn't work, try the other way, start with putting the plm into linking mode and then put the ms into linking mode.

This is exactly what it took to get this to connect. For me I had to first place the PLM into linking mode by holding the set button for 3 seconds then observing the blinking LED. Then on the MS I held the set button for 5 seconds to set it into linking mode. At that point the PLM beeped acknowledging a successful pairing between the two devices. Then I placed the MS back into linking mode and went to the Insteon configuration page and added the new device using the plug-in, and this time it was able to complete the setup properly.

Thanks for your help with this Mark!

Comment

Working...
                            X