This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated and looking for Insteon Guidance

I have run HomeSeer for years as a hobby project. I had HS2Pro running with all sorts of X10 stuff and it was fun and worked. I upgraded to HS3Pro a month ago and knew I had to start all over. That was OK. I did discover that it looks like my Smarthome PowerLinc 1132B USB X10 controller was not supported any more as part of the basic HS3Pro. I will research that more later.

I have has some Insteon items around for several years now and have never been able to really grasp it well. I have read and searched for all the Insteon for Dummies kinds of help.

After Upgrading to HS3Pro Version 3.0.0.54I connected to a PLM Model 2412S (Serial). I enabled this Insteon plugin version 3.0.3.2 to see if I could get things working and if the tools made things easier to work with Insteon.

I then installed 2 of the Insteon SignalLinc RF devices per the manual so they indicate they are an separate power phases.

I then read the manual for the 2456S3 Insteon ApplianceLinc V2 that I have also had for years. I have 2 for this testing.

The Plugin utilities see the 2412S PLM connected to Com6. I then ran the Utility program in the link to reset & reprogram the interface. That reported back that it was successful. I then used another of the included utilities to display the Interface links and it shows it to be empty.

I then went to the ApplianceLinc and held it's button for 3 seconds and its LED started flashing as I believe from the documentation this is now in Linking mode.

Back at the Plugin I used the manual Add device button and entered the Insteon address XX.XX.XX and gave the device a Name and Location. I left the polling alone. Then I clicked on ADD and it goes out and returns that it can not find the device.

I then went back to the Display Interface links page and the Insteon Device address that I entered shows up as Link #1 and the name Description field is blank.

I have moved this Switchlinc around the house, which is a small 2 story 2,000 SQ. Ft. place. No luck. I tried with a 2nd Switchlinc and the same issue. Unable to find.

My goal is to have a reliable HS3Pro system with both X10 devices and Insteon working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if the 2412S is just to old and I should purchase a new controller with both legacy X10 as I have a bunch of devices and Insteon is suggested, let me know the best one with the best interface for the hobbyist like me to be able to set these devices up and troubleshoot that you recommend.

Thank you in advance for any ideas to get what I have working and suggestions for best direction to go for controllers is greatly appreciated.

Thanks;

Mike Lehrer
    Phoenix AZ

Originally posted by mlehrer View Post
    ...I then went to the ApplianceLinc and held it's button for 3 seconds and its LED started flashing as I believe from the documentation this is now in Linking mode.

Back at the Plugin I used the manual Add device button and entered the Insteon address XX.XX.XX and gave the device a Name and Location. ...
    You shouldn't have to put the Insteon device in linking mode to do a manual add. I never do. I've only had to put battery powered devices and security devices in linking mode to do a manual add.

Is it possible that you have some device that is producing too much electrical noise for Insteon to work? Are you certain that your PLM is fully functional?

Comment

Mike,

the 2412s is supported but the SignalLinc RF devices are no longer support for Insteon comm. Access Points (2443) have taken their place, But you might consider a 2413s or 2413u which is dual band PLM and basically eliminates the need for the APs if you have other dualband devices installed. If you don't upgrade the PLM, then you need you need two APs (one on each leg/phase)

please get 3.0.3.11 from the forum here---several bugs fixed.

you don't need to put wired-in devices into linking mode in order to register them with the plugin. You should be able to Add them to the plugin Device Manage by entering the insteon id.

if you are going to rely heavily on x10 you might consider an alternative x10 controller to the PLM and this plugin.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

if the switchlincs aren't on the same leg/phase as the plm then you are going to have comm issues. make sure at least one is on the same leg and close to the plm for testing purposes or install the appliancelinc close to the plm
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I also have several 2443 Access points I can use instead of the RF ones. I will try then next. Then I have no issue getting a new current PLM as you suggest.

Is the any tool for testing the functionality of the 2412 PLM I have? The plugin seems to see it.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Comment

Working...
          X