Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could not open COM port but no error from plugin?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could not open COM port but no error from plugin?

Good morning Mark

Today when I fired up my development HS3 system, I noticed my PLM wasn't working. Looking at the HS3 startup log I found the message below. Shouldn't this have shown as an error, not just an informational message, so on the HS3 startup I would know right away there was a problem with start?

1/25/2014 5:34:24 AM ~!~Insteon~!~Could not open COM6 - Access to the port 'COM6' is denied.
    1/25/2014 5:34:24 AM ~!~Plug-In~!~Finished initializing plug-in Insteon

I'm running win7 pro 64bit. In Devices and Printers I could still see COM6 and it seemed ok. I rebooted and this time when I started HS3 (3.0.0.55) I was prompted by the windows firewall to allow/deny HS3 access. Strange since it was working without issue yesterday. Anyway, I allowed access and now my PLM is working again. So the cause seems pretty clear. I'm just wondering if that log message can be elevated to error status?
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

are you looking for the the word 'error' in the msg? the hs log doesn't really have the concept of a error message, everything is just text.

btw. did you write yourself a plugin for the insteon thermostat?
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

While working on my Napco Gemini for HS3 plugin, I noticed that if I included "Error" in the log message then it also shows on the HS3 dialog too. Seems they filter out anything that doesn't include "Error" in it from that dialog. I thought it would be helpful to see a message there if the Insteon PLM couldn't be reached on startup? For example, below is from my already started HS3 and then enabling my plugin when the security panel isn't connected. Internally I set different log levels and when the error level is triggered I append "Error" to message.

I just released my Napco Gemini to the store/updater. That was quite the process but it's finally working. Still waiting on updates to the support forum. HST said I could inherit the existing Napco Gemini. I'd like to sticky the HS3 version thread but don't seem to have that power yet.

I'm now actively working on the Insteon Thermostat for HS3 after reaching a development agreement with Tom.
      Last edited by nfrobertson; January 25, 2014, 04:55 PM.
      HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
      Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
      Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
      Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
      http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

I can add the word 'error' to the msg.

I'm glad to hear your're working the tstat plugin. I was considering adding the functionality to my plugin, but hadn't really started anything.

post a msg to my profile page if you need any help with interaction with my plugin
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
        X