This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refurb Hubs

I'm about to buy a smarthome refurbished Insteon Hub. I plan to eventually use it with this plugin with my HS installation. I wanted to check here to see if anyone has any experience with different hardware/firmware revisions on these hubs that I should be aware of.

Basically what I'm looking for, is "yeah it'll be just fine" or "no, don't get it, it's the old chip that doesn't do X"

Thanks guys!

All I can say is this works good for me:

Bin version : Alert 2.4 YF<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    PLM vesrion : 9C<o></o>
    Hub version : 4.8A build 130228<o></o>

Comment

you should get the latest fw as SH usually updates products before they go out. not sure about the hw ver but once you get it we can check

In addition, we haven't run into any versions that don't work
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Refurb Hubs

Good to hear. I just ordered the hub. Now that I've ordered mine I'll share that smarthome has these refurbs on sale right now for $80.

One more quick question. Does the license for your plugin come with downgrade rights? I want to purchase your plugin. But I'm currently on HS2. I do plan on moving to 3 eventually, but I like to wait several months after a major release before making the jump. So if I buy the plugin license now for the version 3, can I use it on hs2 for the next few months?

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There isn't a downgrade option.

how vested are you with HS2? the migration from hs2 to hs3 isn't easy. might be worth moving to hs3 now if you are just getting started with insteon
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Refurb Hubs

I would say I'm very vested. I've been a homeseer user since version 1.3 or so.
            I have a fair number of Insteon devices. But they're in x-10 mode. So far I'm only using Insteon communications for 3 way switch communication. I am very willing to start over though with links and such. It shouldn't be too hard for me.
            What part about the 2-3 transition is the difficult part? Is it related to HS itself or your plugin?

--Jon Chuchla--

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
              I would say I'm very vested. I've been a homeseer user since version 1.3 or so.
              I have a fair number of Insteon devices. But they're in x-10 mode. So far I'm only using Insteon communications for 3 way switch communication. I am very willing to start over though with links and such. It shouldn't be too hard for me.
              What part about the 2-3 transition is the difficult part? Is it related to HS itself or your plugin?

--Jon Chuchla--

hs events don't transfer well. there is a external tool but apparently its not very good. scripts all have to be converted to .net.

regarding the plugin--the insteon devices & groups will be recreated (if you bring over the insteon.ini) and all the links will still exists. that's the easy part.

I'm starting from scratch.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Refurb Hubs

Ok. Got my hub and started playing. One thing that has me curious is that the quick start guide that comes with the hub says to not use the app if you're planning on using other software. Does that include your app?

--Jon Chuchla--

Comment

Refurb Hubs

Another thing that's not obvious: how to I make the plugin import the links that are already in the hub? I tried searching here, but I must not be using the right search terms.

-- Jon Chuchla --

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Another thing that's not obvious: how to I make the plugin import the links that are already in the hub? I tried searching here, but I must not be using the right search terms.
                    the plugin will not read existing links that were programmed with another sw. You must register devices and groups via the plugin.

Ok. Got my hub and started playing. One thing that has me curious is that the quick start guide that comes with the hub says to not use the app if you're planning on using other software. Does that include your app?
                    the links the SH app writes don't seem to match the ones i write. i would suggest starting clean with my plugin and then try the SH app after you have everything working. don't try to initally use both apps at the same time.

it will probably require registering devices in both apps but that is unavoidable.
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Refurb Hubs

Thanks mark. I was starting to think that was the case. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't have an import? You already have the ability to read the links. It'd be nece to take the next step and put add buttons next to that readout to create devices based on what it found. Admittedly, I'm sure you've got a lot more thought into this already and probably have a good reason.

I only ask because it seems like it's a bit of a faster process to set up devices in houselinc first. Just because it's a WinForms app, it's just faster to navigate than the web based app. It also gives audio confirmation when the link is successful. Which is nice when you're running around tapping switches.

So if I create these devices and links in the plugin, will it overwrite the ones I already created with their house linc software? Or do I need to go in and delete the original ones or somehow do a reset? I've only for 5 switches and two scenes in there so far so it's not that big a deal to start over.

--Jon Chuchla--

Comment

Jon,
                        I've seen cases where links that i write don't show up in houselinc and vice versa. its strange. houselinc and i just write different links which makes it confusing. So i had to throw in the towel on this idea.

So you should reset the hub before adding devices otherwise you will see similar but not duplicate links.
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                        X