This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS Insteon vs. Sandler Insteon Plugin

Is there a thread that describes the difference in functionality between Mark Sandler's plugin vs. the 'stock' HomeSeer Insteon plugin that is included with HS3 Pro?

Thanks!

-M.

Mark
    Have you seen the description of mine in the store ?

Mine support all current insteon interfaces (plms and hubs) and devices including the devices supported by the other insteon plugin here

I now have a Linux version

diagnostic features and complete sw control of each device and its settings

Special triggers and actions for complete control of plugin during power outages and communication issues

Hope this helps
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for the response. I'm kind of kicking myself for not just buying your plugin in the first place.

By any small miracle, is there any way to convert from the HS Insteon plugin to yours? I have about 30 insteon devices in my HS3 setup right now and am vaguely dreading that the answer is 'no'....

So, assuming the answer *is* "no, you'll have to re-add all the insteon devices to my plugin" -- is there any trick to "un-enrolling" them from the existing plugin -- or will yours permit then to be re-discovered by just doing the tap-add thing?

-M.

Comment

Mark,
        does the homeseer plugin use an ini file to save the configuration? Check the /config folder if so, please post it so I can see if it is the same as mine.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

The HSInsteon.ini file for my system contains the following (I substantially trucated it, but all of the entries in the file follow the same pattern as below and there are no other sections):

[GENERAL]
          log_level=Info
          [DEVICES]
          2A.31.0E###cat=1
          2A.31.0E###subcat=32
          2A.31.0E###firmware=65
          2A.31.0E###protocol=2
          2A.31.0E###deleted=False
          1D.53.A3###cat=1
          1D.53.A3###subcat=32
          1D.53.A3###firmware=64
          1D.53.A3###protocol=1
          1D.53.A3###deleted=False
          1D.19.9B###cat=1
          1D.19.9B###subcat=32
          1D.19.9B###firmware=64
          1D.19.9B###protocol=1
          1D.19.9B###deleted=False
          1D.33.D0###cat=1
          1D.33.D0###subcat=32
          1D.33.D0###firmware=64
          1D.33.D0###protocol=1
          1D.33.D0###deleted=False

Comment

Mark,
            this isn't going to migration. on the bright side, any links you created between devices will be picked up and loaded in my plugin.

since you have all the insteon id, i would suggest using the manual add routine. it will go quickly

Good luck
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Mark,

I manually added all my devices to your plug-in (you were right: it went pretty quickly since I had all of the addresses). All of them work, in the sense that they control the devices. The door sensors correctly report 'open' or 'closed' back to the HS3 UI -- but most of the "Insteon Dual-Band SwitchLinc Dimmer" devices are NOT reporting status. A few of them ARE reporting status, but I can see no pattern as to what works and what doesn't work.

Edit: I also just discovered that this issue also means that almost all of my HSTouch button presses for lighting are failing as well. I use a custom script for almost all of my lights to correctly handle toggling dimmable lights on and off -- status is not being reported to HSTouch either.

Any suggestions?

-M.
              Last edited by MarkHargrove; June 6, 2014, 09:32 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Mark,
                do you have a 2413 plm which is dual band? do you have any access points that you can move around to improve the rf signal.
                look for noisy devices on the same circuits as the devices not reporting status.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Yes, I have a brand-new dual-band 2413U.

I should note that every single one of my SwitchLinc dimmer devices was both working AND reporting status correctly using the HS Insteon plugin. Nothing has changed in my home except for (a) changing over to your plugin and (b) adding two Insteon Hidden Door sensors (both of which are correctly reporting status). I've exercised every single SwitchLinc dimmer now (and one on/off module, which is also not reporting status) and only 5 of 20 are reporting status back to HS3. All of them worked this morning before I switched over to your plugin.

What might constitute a "noisy" device that could have suddenly appeared since noon today?

Comment

Don't know if it is relevant or not, but I just found one weirdness: I deleted one of my non-status reporting devices from the plugin and from the HS3 device screen, then added it back (manually). The HS device screen looks different from all other SwitchLinc dimmer devices:

My 'normal' ones look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NookCans.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1174047

But the newly-added one looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ClosetCans.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	1174048

Note the 'control' buttons/slider on the far right -- the buttons are backwards and the slider is on the same line instead of the next line.

Comment

Well, I found the issue, but I don't understand it.

All of the SwitchLinc dimmers with the problem had been assigned a 'code' on the device configuration page. This assignment was simply a "legacy" issue -- I assigned the codes that I'd been using on my old HS2/X10 devices because I thought I might need them for scripts. When I remove the code assignments, status starts working again.

This sure looks like a bug in the plugin to me, but perhaps there is a logical reason for the behavior?

-M.

Comment

I'll check this out. I key on the Address field which I didn't think was affected if the user sets a legacy code value. thanks for reporting
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Hi Do U have a insteon plugin that works on the HomeSeer HomeTroller Pi Smart Home Hub?

Comment

Originally posted by kellermix View Post
                            Hi Do U have a insteon plugin that works on the HomeSeer HomeTroller Pi Smart Home Hub?
                            my insteon plugin is linux compatible. you can give it a try if it shows in the hs updater on your appliance. what insteon controller will you use (a plm or a hub). you need one of these
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I have the hub.Where would I find your plug-in download that I can try it out

Comment

Working...
                              X