This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSTouch Sliders and On/Off not working with Insteon Devices

Mark, I am working on putting some of my Insteon devices in HSTouch using designer and having some issues and wondered if you could help.

I am trying to dim a Insteon Dual-Band SwitchLinc Dimmer device. The device dims just fine using the normal HS3 web application. Also, if I use a standard on/off button in Designer and link to the same Insteon switch, I cannot turn it off or on. What is even stranger, if I control the light locally at the switch or using the web browser, HSTouch does update the slider. For whatever reason HSTouch will not allow me to control any Insteon device.

I decided to sit down and check out a few of my on/off (no- dimming) Insteon switches. These do not work either. The status tracks in HSTouch when the switches are turned on/off locally or via the web browser. However HSTouch is not able to control them. I also have a few Z-wave devices on/off and these work fine in HSTouch.
    I have a few Z-wave dimmable devices and these also work fine in HSTouch, status tracks fine and they are able to be controlled using HSTouch.

Any ideas? Should I send some screen shots of the devices? I looked at the devices and there are some obvious differences on the Status Graphics tab between Insteon and Z-wave device, but nothing that should be causing the devices to not be controlled via HSTouch.

I am using the following versions.
    HomeSeer: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.96 (Windows)
    HSTouch Server: 3.0.0.42
    Designer: 3.0.8
    Insteon Plugin: 3.0.4.8

I saw a bug that seemed related and have posted some comments, it is Bug 1091, see http://homeseer.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1091

Thanks for any help
    Billy
    Last edited by bdraper; July 27, 2014, 12:32 PM.
    Billy

Have you tried the standard hst touch template? It works for me. I haven't tried creating a custom hs touch control yet but I know others have
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Nice call Mark. I used the out of the box HSTouch Device Selector and was able to select all Insteon devices and control them. I then decided to just start from scratch and created a on/off button with status tracking for an Insteon switch. If the switch is controled locally the HSTouch screen is updated, however if I try to push the button in HSTouch to toggle the switch nothing happens. Doing the same process on a Z-wave switch works with no issues.

Any ideas? I am fresh out... This is really strange.
      Billy

Comment

have you checked the hstouch forum for ideas? otherwise post a reply to the bug you found
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks Mark, I posted a response to the bug. Paul had already posted some information and then I posted a followup...

There was some disussion about the can_dim property, sorta strange becsue mine line up like they should based on the 4 devices that I reported on. See http://homeseer.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1091
          Billy

Comment

More information, I created a few on/off buttons and sliders for Z-wave and Insteon switches. Operating the switches in HSTouch produces the logs below. Is anyone else able to control Insteon devices in HSTouch? I am not able to control any Insteon devices in HSTouch, however I am able to control Z-wave devices with no issues.

Mark, I will post this in the HSTouch forum and see if anyone is seeing the same thing.

See Bug 1091 for more info: http://homeseer.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1091

Z-wave HSTouch Control Dimmable Device - I am able to move the slider in HSTouch and the device operates correctly, HS3 Log below
            Jul-27 11:37:37 AM Device Control Device: Floor 1 Den Tree on Ledge to On (99) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
            Jul-27 11:37:15 AM Device Control Device: Floor 1 Den Tree on Ledge to Dim 1% (64) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

Insteon HSTouch Control Dimmable Device - I am able to move the slider in HSTouch and the device operates correctly, Nothing is produced in the HS3 Log...

Z-wave HSTouch Control On/Off Device - clicking the button in HSTouch 3 times (toggle) works fine, HS3 Log below
            Jul-27 11:35:48 AM Device Control Device: Floor 1 Den Wall Plug to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
            Jul-27 11:35:41 AM Device Control Device: Floor 1 Den Wall Plug to Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
            Jul-27 11:35:31 AM Device Control Device: Floor 1 Den Wall Plug to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

Insteon HSTouch Control On/Off - If the switch is locally ON then clicking the button in HSTouch 3 times (toggle) produces this in the HS3 log
            Jul-27 11:36:49 AM Device Control Device: Floor 1 Den Fan to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
            Jul-27 11:36:38 AM Device Control Device: Floor 1 Den Fan to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
            Jul-27 11:36:22 AM Device Control Device: Floor 1 Den Fan to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

Insteon HSTouch Control On/Off - If the switch is locally OFF then clicking the button in HSTouch 3 times (toggle) produces this in the HS3 log
            Jul-27 12:26:01 PM Device Control Device: Floor 1 Den Fan to Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
            Jul-27 12:26:00 PM Device Control Device: Floor 1 Den Fan to Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
            Jul-27 12:25:59 PM Device Control Device: Floor 1 Den Fan to Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
            Billy

Comment

Mark, I am still having trouble with Insteon and HSTouch.

I have lots of Z-wave dimmable and on/off devices working properly in HSTouch. However Insteon and HSTouch is a different story. See this post for more info, http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=169597

Paul, is correct (different post), changing the CAN_DIM property from True to False for Insteon Dimmable devices allows them to be controlled in HSTouch. Thanks for the tip, I agree there is more here than meets the eye and it is probably some combination of properties that is giving trouble with these devices and dimming them in HSTouch. If you do change the CAN_DIM property, be warned that while you will be able to dim the device in HSTouch, it behaves differently now. For example, if you are tracking status, every dimmable level will now require an image association in HSTouch or you will get the normal light bulb for the image. See this link for info on the CAN_DIM discussion http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...hlight=can_dimhttp://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=165052

Any help or insight you could provide would be very appreciated.
              Thanks
              Billy

Comment

i sent an email to Rich to see what is going on here. changing the can_dim property to false to support hstouch seems ridiculous
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                  i sent an email to Rich to see what is going on here. changing the can_dim property to false to support hstouch seems ridiculous
                  I agree and believe there is more to this than meets the eye. There is probably a combination of propeties or status pairs or something that is required to make all this work.

I updated the bug, with addtional infromation and some screen shots, but no response yet.

Thanks for helping out, I appreicate the help.
                  Billy

Comment

Originally posted by bdraper View Post
                    I agree and believe there is more to this than meets the eye. There is probably a combination of propeties or status pairs or something that is required to make all this work.

I updated the bug, with addtional infromation and some screen shots, but no response yet.

Thanks for helping out, I appreicate the help.
                    can you try the following as a test:

from HST--change the device type string on one of your dimming devices to "light module" or "z-wave switch multilevel"

and retest via hstouch
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Sure, no problem. I changed the Insteon dimmer device that I have been working with from "Insteon SwitchLinc V2 600W Dimmer" to "Z-Wave Switch Multilevel" and restarted, no change.

Just to clarify, I change the Device Type (String) on the Advanced tab for the device in question. Is this what you meant? See screenshot below.
                      Attached Files
                      Billy

Comment

Sure, no problem. I changed the Insteon dimmer device that I have been working with from "Insteon SwitchLinc V2 600W Dimmer" to "Z-Wave Switch Multilevel" and restarted, no change.

Just to clarify, I change the Device Type (String) on the Advanced tab for the device in question. Is this what you meant? See screenshot below.
                        i thinks that's right. how about the other value?
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Other value, not sure what you mean?
                          Billy

Comment

Other value, not sure what you mean?
                            "light module"
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Sorry, no luck. I changed the Insteon dimmer device that I have been working with from "Insteon SwitchLinc V2 600W Dimmer" to "Light Module" and restarted, no change.
                              Billy

Comment

Working...
                              X