This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon PLM died

My Insteon 2413S PLM died, likely due to power surge / lightning. This is a fairly regular occurrence here in the lightning capital of the world.

My question is what is the best replacement for it? I prefer serial interfaces, but open to Ethernet too. USB is not an option. Low cost is also good, since anything not plugged into a UPS seems to get fried every few years around here. I'm thinking of another 2413S but want to hear other opinions.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

i would stick with the 2413s. The hub is more expensive but gives you the flexibility to locate it away from the server.

do you have a whole house surge protector? I realize these don't help much with lightning.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

My first Insteon Serial PLM just up and died one day. (rest in peace PLM)

Not relating this though to lightning. It was little bit after the post salad days.

The second Insteon Serial PLM still works fine (years now); not using it much these days though.

It remains connected to the Digi 8 port Edgeport.

They do make those little RS-232 surge / lightning protectors; tiny things.

Note that every piece you add to the topology of the transport makes it less resilient and more susceptible to some surge or lightning bolt or hiccup or gotcha.

Then again if it is a self contained programmable saving its program tiny device; then you don't really need a computer connection to it to function.

The wire (RS-232) is most resilient. Moving the RS-232 to the network is a bit less unless you provide redundant power to the networking device and switch. Moving it to wireless then you have the wireless piece and the network piece you have to add resilience to.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Mark and Pete. This is actually the second PLM that's died on me in the last 5 years. I don't have it on a surge protector since I have heard it can make communication unreliable across the power line. I'll stick with the 2413S since it works flawlessly (until it dies anyway).
        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Working...
        X