X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting fresh best practices - new install of HS3, new location

Hi folks,

I just moved into a house from my condo. I had HS2 running in my condo with all of my Insteon stuff. I am hoping someone here can give me some suggestions on how to start fresh.

I have a PLC, a bunch of dimmer and relay switches, some plugin dimmers, a motion sensor, and a door sensor.

Should I reset all of these to factory defaults since they are now in a new location and old links will be useless? If so, does anyone happen to know the reset procedure for the above devices. I can look them up if need be.

Do I really need to pay $45 to upgrade my PLM plugin?

Any other things I should do before I start installing these used devices in this new location?

Much thanks,
    Mike
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Mike,

Yes starting clean is the best approach for a new house with hs3. This is what i did and it worked out great.

the reset procedure for each device is a little different and is outlined in the user manual. You will need to refer to the smarthome site for this info. here is a site with all the manuals

http://www.insteon.com/support.html

You can certainly try the free HS insteon plugin if you don't want to upgrade mine.

Good luck.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Did HS revamp their Insteon PLM plugin for HS3 or is it the same as the old HS2 plugin? If they revamped for HS3, is there any thread describing the differences between yours and mine. I searched but couldn't find.

You've helped me out in the past so I'm tempted to support you regardless, however I would be curious to learn about any differences between the two.

Thanks,
      Mike
      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Mike,

I believe they rebuilt the plugin for hs3. the HS insteon plugin is very basic and only supports a small set of devices. There is a post in their forum about this. Otherwise there are are no feature comparison posts.

Give it a try and see if it does what you need

Be aware that there is no conversion from theirs to mine or vice versa. So you will need to start over if you switch plugins.

good luck. Let us know what you find.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
        X