This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing x10 and Insteon

I have an x10 network working 100% with filters, repeaters, phase couplers, and about 40 x10 devices; many of which are Insteon switches or keypads set to x10 mode for now. I've been using x10 for about 20 years.

I plan on moving to Insteon and using the older hub, which I have purchased. My question comes around the device interface. Should I leave my x10 devices being controlled via my ACT TI103 device or switch over and have the Insteon hub as my x10 device along with the Insteon? Is it as reliable as the ACT? I think the only downfall of NOT using the hub is that I can't have x10 devices within the Insteon App. I will probably always have a mixed environment because I still like many of the x10 devices, like the small motion detectors.

I'm evaluating Mark's plug-in and will probably use it. I just need to determine if I stay with my HS2 installation or jump to HS3 now. My biggest hold back is my Caddx security system and lack of a HS3 plug-in for it.

Originally posted by wglong View Post
    I have an x10 network working 100% with filters, repeaters, phase couplers, and about 40 x10 devices; many of which are Insteon switches or keypads set to x10 mode for now. I've been using x10 for about 20 years.

I plan on moving to Insteon and using the older hub, which I have purchased. My question comes around the device interface. Should I leave my x10 devices being controlled via my ACT TI103 device or switch over and have the Insteon hub as my x10 device along with the Insteon? Is it as reliable as the ACT? I think the only downfall of NOT using the hub is that I can't have x10 devices within the Insteon App. I will probably always have a mixed environment because I still like many of the x10 devices, like the small motion detectors.

I'm evaluating Mark's plug-in and will probably use it. I just need to determine if I stay with my HS2 installation or jump to HS3 now. My biggest hold back is my Caddx security system and lack of a HS3 plug-in for it.
    I too, had X10 mixed with Insteon devices as I was using a Stargate system. When I switched to HS3, I continued with the Mixture and purchased the TI103 and Marks Plugin along with a USB PLM. I went through my power system with Filters (XTB-ANR) and Repeter/ amplifiers (XTB-IIR), Checking for noise and signal strength with the XTBR analyzer, from JV Digital. I have added many more Insteon devices and reused the X10 devices that I once pulled out. Now I removed the TI103 and am using only the Insteon PLM with marks Insteon Plugin, and my system is flawless. I now have very strong signals and no Noise, and have all devices working without an issue. I tested with both the Insteon PLM and Marks plugin for X10 response vs the TI103 with the HS3 X10 plugin and found no difference in operation. I too had the Caddx system, and replaced it with a DSC system for communication ease.

Comment

Originally posted by wglong View Post

I would suggest keeping the T103 initially while you get the insteon hub online and working, and then convert over a few of the x10 devices and see how it goes for you in your environment. Everyone's mileage varies when it comes to using x10 and insteon together.

you should consider the Insteon motion sensors as opposed to the X10 ones. My favorite feature of the Insteon MSs is that they don't lose their settings when you replace the battery which is monitored by the plugin and thus can notify you when the battery level is low.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Great information. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
        X