This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scene/Group Dropdown vs Buttons

Is there any reason I can't use buttons as opposed to the dropdown in the main HS status page to trigger the on/off of an insteon group? (which I prefer to think of as a scene) And for that matter the rest of the controls should be available to be buttons as well.

I also notice that if I rename the HS device, it doesn't update the group in the plugin config page. Also, if I do rename it in the plugin setup, the only way to apply the name change is to reprogram the group. It appears that it doesn't actually do any programming of the devices, but the button label made me think as I pressed it.

I don't recommend/support changing the default controls. It will break stuff. You can create your own devices to control the insteon device if you wish.

I will check out the renaming issue
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I'm not sure I explained myself properly. What I was talking about is that the Insteon group has a different looking control than everything else. Take a look at this screenshot. You'll see that everything in the list uses buttons for control except the one Insteon group.
      . I was just commenting that it would be nice if it could be consistent with everything else.
      Honestly I wouldn't even know how to go about changing the control type myself.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Jon,
        I use the dropdown because the Groups have several other control options other than just on/off and dim. Its just easier to have one list
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

As you can tell. I'm just now getting started with Insteon groups. <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
          Could you explain a bit more on your earlier comment about creating custom devices to control the group? I'm not sure I follow your idea there. <o></o>
          <o></o>
          Another thing I've noticed is that the status for the Insteon group seems to stay at whatever you last set for the group. Here's some food for thought for some improvement opportunities that could enhance where smartlabs was a bit shortsighted. I know this is probably a limitation of the insteon group API itself and you're just using the protocol as it's available. Insteon groups are really more like scenes than groups. For example, If I have a group that sets a two lights to 50%, and then I control one of those lights independently, then the scene is no longer active. But the status stays as On.

When you think about it, the scene could be active, or inactive. or dimmed/brightened by a certain amount, or set to off. But inactive does not equal off. More appropriate statuses would be
          "Active" where all scene members exactly match the group settings.
          "xx% Brighter" and "xx% Dim" or maybe combine the two and get "+/- xx%" These would be where all scene members deviate from the base settings by the exact same amount.
          "Off" would be where all group members are completely off.
          "" (blank) would be where any of the above conditions are not met.

Sure, I could create a series of events to detect if any group member deviates from the scene and then set the status of the scene to null. But that would be a lot of work and a mess of events. It seems like that would be more efficiently done within the plugin itself where more advanced conditional code can be created.

Comment

Working...
          X