This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KeypadLinc Dimmer

Just installed a KeypadLinc Dimmer with V43 firmware. Dimming using the control device command works as expected as do the Insteon commands to reprogram the default on level and ramp rate. But..... The lamp on at ramp rate timing seems pretty close but the polled dimmer settings are way off.

0% ------> Off
    10% -----> 31%
    20% -----> 44%
    30% -----> 69%
    40% -----> 81%
    50% -----> 6%
    60% -----> 18%
    70% -----> 44%
    80% -----> 56%
    90% -----> 81%
    100% ----> 94%

Log entries when setting on at 50% with a 32 second ramp rate:
    Attached Files

what plugin ver are you running? i've been making changes to support some of the newer KPLs
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark,

I'm running 3.0.5.16 with HS3 Pro 3.0.0.152

---Zach

Comment

can you test the various on levels but use the same ramprate of .1 sec and see what the on levels report as after polling.

then maybe try other ramp rates and compare.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark,

I tested all dimming levels at 0.1, 0.3 and 2 second ramp rates. I also tested several other randomly selected ramp rates and they all perform as I noted in my original post. The selected dimming value appears in HS3 until the KPL is polled. At least there is a setting that's close to the level we want and it works consistently!

Not sure if this is related or even plug-in related....

When using HSTouch, the KPL doesn't show any text status when dimmed (text is returned only when ON or OFF). The KPL does return the status value. Every other dimming device I'm using displays something along the lines of "Dim 50%". Dim and the percentage are displayed normally on the HS3 device status page.

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          can you test the various on levels but use the same ramprate of .1 sec and see what the on levels report as after polling.

then maybe try other ramp rates and compare.

Comment

I think this might be a fw issue with the insteon cmd 2E

you can try various combinations using the "insteon: send device cmd" action yourself

cmd1 = 2E
            cmd2 has the following definition:

On level = 16*On + 0F (high bits: 0..F) 0 is off, F is 100%
            RR = 2*RR+1 (low bits: 0..F) 0 is slowest, F is fastest

let me know if you find anything that makes more sense that what the plugin is doing
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

It's looking like there is something wrong with the KPL. No amount of testing and resetting has produced dimming levels that make any sort of sense.

0 -----> 6%
              1------> 18%
              2------> 31%
              3------> 44%
              4------> 56%
              5------> 69%
              6------> 81%
              7------> 94%

8 through F repeats the above values. No 2E command value will fully extinguish the lamp and no value with turn it on at 100%. HS initially displays the correct level when using 0,2,3,5,6,8,9,B,C,E and F. Once the device responds, it's matches one of the eight values listed above and once polled HS displays the actual setting.

The timing bit works as it should.

Comment

last thought. in fw 44+, they changed cmd1 to 0x34. maybe try a few tests and see if the device responds. it shouldn't since its fw 43 but you never know.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I remembered our messages about my fw44 SwitchLinc dimmer and dug though the logs to find the changed command. No joy with 0x34 either. HS reports correctly but the KPL doesn't respond. Might pick up another KPL next week just to be sure but I think we have one with corrupt firmware.

last thought. in fw 44+, they changed cmd1 to 0x34. maybe try a few tests and see if the device responds. it shouldn't since its fw 43 but you never know.

Comment

i will report this to Smarthome and see what they have to say.

that said, we are stuck with the FWs we have. so use them as noted.

in the insteon action, for 0% i actually send an Off cmd so it goes off.

i'll change the plugin values for 0-7 to get us a little closer to reality.

10,20,30,40, etc are my standard values. i never really expected this cmd action to match them exactly, just get close

the part that bothers me is that 8 - F just duplicates the other values

hope my change doesn't break older devices that might actually work correctly
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

i just tried the insteon action on a switchlinc with fw44 and it seems to behave correctly.
                      the on levels reported via polling are very close to my 10,20,30, etc
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Mark,

Unless you've had some other reports of KPLs not working correctly, I recommend holding off changing your plug-in until I get another one and retest. The unit I have has been installed for awhile as a controller but not used to directly control a load. The thing just acts weird at times and the repeating values bother me too. There is quite a bit going on in that little device so transient or surge damage is a possibility. I'm way out in the middle of nowhere and power problems are common. So far, with the sole exception being the KPL, the values you are using are spot on with the actual polled values. I'll have a new KPL in the next couple of days and will let you know how it goes.

Edit add that poll testing here shows the actual values are +/- 2% with a fw43 switchlinc.

i will report this to Smarthome and see what they have to say.

that said, we are stuck with the FWs we have. so use them as noted.

in the insteon action, for 0% i actually send an Off cmd so it goes off.

i'll change the plugin values for 0-7 to get us a little closer to reality.

10,20,30,40, etc are my standard values. i never really expected this cmd action to match them exactly, just get close

the part that bothers me is that 8 - F just duplicates the other values

hope my change doesn't break older devices that might actually work correctly
                        Last edited by Zach; February 22, 2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

ok. let me know what you find with the new KPLs
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Mark,

The new fw43 KPL works exactly like the original. The values in post #7 are the same - right down the repeats. Not sure if SH intended this or not but it is what it is.

ok. let me know what you find with the new KPLs

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                              Mark,

The new fw43 KPL works exactly like the original. The values in post #7 are the same - right down the repeats. Not sure if SH intended this or not but it is what it is.
                              Thanks for reporting back. If you really need this functionality, it might be worth holding off until they release the next fw in the KPLs. Not sure what the time frame is however
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X