Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with new Insteon Switches and older PLM?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with new Insteon Switches and older PLM?

I've been using the Homeseer "branded" Insteon plugin since it first came out...first with a PLC, then later with a 2414UH (PLM that supports Houselinc).

My install includes about 60 Insteon switches (RF-only), a few keypadlincs (RF) and outletlincs. All of these devices have at least a 4-year old firmware/rev number. I was about to replace ~40 of them because they had the paddle switch issue that I never had time to resolve previously, but the WAF was rapidly approaching zero.

I decided it was a good time to give Mark's plugin a try. I was very pleased with it, but decided to run it in trial mode before purchase. Many reasons for the "trial," but mainly because it is installed in a second home & I didn't want to buy it if it wouldn't work.

My next trip back, I purchased the plugin because it performed very well. I also started to install my new dual-band switchlinc dimmers (Rev 7.6) and immediately started having "issues."

Observations:
    1. I can remove a switch that works (icon Powerline only) and attempt to replace it with a new dual-band switchlinc...but it will not connect to the PLM. I am able to get links between devices, but the PLM will not see a tap-add or manual add.

2. I have tried adding additional signalincs and access points to ensure that it is not a phase-bridging problem, but that does not help

3. If I run Houselinc, (with HS shut down) I can see many of the new switchlincs, but get many failures if I try to read the link databases. However, most of the time....I can control the switches from within Houselinc.

4. I have done the standard checks for noise, powerstrips, etc (I've used Insteon for a long time), but nothing appears amiss.

5. Any of my "legacy" insteon switches will work fine ...as soon as I swap back, everything works as expected with Houselinc, and Mark's plugin

6. I ran out and purchased a hub2 at the local hardware store...and it recognized the new switches and is able to communicate with them directly and via Mark's plugin (ok Mark...I know it's not supported...but just sayin).

As I left it (Had to go back to work in another city), I am using Mark's plugin to communicate with my Insteon network via the Hub2. I left the PLM attached in case I need to switch interfaces remotely (I'd then use the hub app to control the newer devices).

Meanwhile, I ordered a new dual-band PLM (at the very least to have a backup)

So:

1. Has anyone else experienced issues with the interface and newer switches?

2. Am I wrong in assuming my PLM isn't going bad...since it communicates fine with legacy devices?

3. Any other thoughts?

can you tell me the fw versions of the switchlincs that aren't responding? the rev sticker doesn't mean much.

have you tried linking the plm to the switch manually, and then register the switch in the plugin
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      can you tell me the fw versions of the switchlincs that aren't responding? the rev sticker doesn't mean much.

have you tried linking the plm to the switch manually, and then register the switch in the plugin
      It appears to be version 44 of the firmware

I did try that early on...without success

Comment

Spot,
        thanks for the info.

i have several fw 44 switches and didn't have any problems registering them with the plugin.

when you try to register a fw 44 switch, are you getting any response in the hs log from the switches? please check with detailed logging enabled.

can you try the following:

use a cut extension cord and wire nut it to a switch (cap the load line) and plug it into an outlet near the plm and then try manual linking, and/or the plugin registration.

you didn't mention the specific plm model you are using? please post

Note: Rf noise (on 915mhz) can cause comm issues as well.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for the response. When I attempted to tap-add the switches, the plugin would seen them, but fail to reprogram them. My interface is a 2412UH.

If I added the switches with Houselinc...then shutdown & attempted to add the switches in HS, I frequently could see the switches, but the link database could not be read.

I hadn't (yet) tried to wire them to an extension cord...the older switches were working fine.

I did get my 2413S the other day, but it'll be a while before I get back to that location to do more on-site troubleshooting.

As far as RF noise...we really don't have any devices that operate in that range (that I am aware of) and my current PLM is single-band.

The Hub2 that I purchased appears to communicate fine...and is plugged into the same outlet as the PLM.

Comment

I think you will have a lot of success with the new 2413S. Let me know how it goes when you make the switch.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I finally made it back with some time to work on my setup.

BLUF: It appears that some of my legacy Insteon equipment was impacting my setup

After installing my new PLM, Iinitially had a lot of problems with registering a few switches. I tried replacing some of them (they were new dual-band dimmers) with the exact same type & met with some (about 50%) success at getting the new ones registered.

Interestingly, the removed switches sometimes worked in other locations.

For some of the switches, I thought that I may have an issue with my Insteon signals not getting across phases...so I went to ensure that my signalincs were communicating.

I had my original signalincs (that I'd been using for about 9 years installed) & had difficulty finding a manual on how to get them to link....so in frustration, I removed them....

....and now I can communicate much better across the network. It is still an ongoing project, but it looks promising.

A couple of questions:

1. Will devices relay across the network if they are not registered with the PLM?

2. What is the correct way to tap-add a switch? Is it the linking process?

3. Is linking a switch via the plugin the same as tap-linking? (it appears to be)

4. Is there a way to select a group of switches (say four) and in one-click have them do all the required link management to link them together?

As a side note, it's interesting (at least to me) that my priorities on which circuits to control have changed. After getting all the "security" lights set up, I am now more interested in ensuring that when my wife hits the top of a switch, Manual or Insteon, that the lights will go on. So, I am now concentrating on the multi-pole circuits first.

Before, I was more concerned with controlling the maximum circuits with the fewest switches (cost).

Comment

Originally posted by Spot View Post
                A couple of questions:

1. Will devices relay across the network if they are not registered with the PLM?

2. What is the correct way to tap-add a switch? Is it the linking process?

3. Is linking a switch via the plugin the same as tap-linking? (it appears to be)

4. Is there a way to select a group of switches (say four) and in one-click have them do all the required link management to link them together?
                1. Yes, insteon is broadcast. so devices will repeat msgs even if there is no plm

2. Once you start the tap-add function in the plugin, you need to put the device into linking mode (see device manual for this-it does vary by device). After that, you will need to initiate the "program device for homeseer" function for each device tap-added.

3. i would use the plugin to link devices. it gives you more/easier control over the link. manual links are sometimes not compatible with a link created by the plugin.

4. No. if you are trying to create a 3-way or 4-way circuit for instance, you must link each device to the others via the plugin. Remember to select the 'create cross link' option when creating the links. this will expedite the process.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                X