This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon hub UK Compatibility

I live in the UK and I'd like to check whether the Insteon hub I'm about to buy is compatible with the MSandler plug-in.
    I'm asking the question because I noticed a sticky on the message board saying that the Insteon Hub 2 is not supported. The model number I'm about to buy is 2242-442UK but I'm not sure whether it falls under the Hub 2 category.
    I've seen some websites refer to this model followed by Version 2. Is that the same thing as the Hub 2 that you're referring to.

Thanks

the new hub 2 (2245) is square while the original hub (2242) is rectangular.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thank you

Comment

What is needed for Insteon Plug-in in the UK

I've been thinking about using Insteon devices with my HomeSeer system in the UK for a year or two, but have shied away from it because I have never found a clear explanation of what hardware is needed to interact with HomeSeer.

The HomeSeer store page for the MNSandler Insteon PLM Plug-in for HS3 says 'This software plug-in is designed to allow HomeSeer systems to control Insteon devices through the Smarthome PLM 2412 and 2413 series controllers.'

I don't think UK versions of the PLM 2412 and 2413 have ever existed, so I presumed that this plugin was not applicable to the UK market.

Seeing this thread about 'Insteon hub UK compatibility' has revived my interest.

Does the Plug-In work in the UK for HomeSeer to communicate with Insteon devices using just the Insteon Hub (i.e. without needing a PLM 2412 or 2413)?

If so, can I clarify re versions - having seen references to the 'Hub 2' not being compatible yet. The model currently available in the UK seems to be what Insteon call the Hub 2012 (i.e the rectangular 2242-442UK) rather than the Hub 2014 (i.e the square 2245-222 being the US model). In the US, there is also a rectangular Hub 2014 Hub Pro available for pre-order.

Many thanks.

Comment

Yes, the INSTEON 2242-442 Hub - UK (Europe 869 MHz) seems to be the way to go.

the plugin accesses the hub locally not via the cloud connection

typically port 25100, and the username and pswd on the hub need to be entered into the plugin config page
          Last edited by mnsandler; April 21, 2015, 09:08 AM.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I was quite confused as well. My interest in Insteon was to try to gradually phase out my X10 devices. The HS3 CM15A plugin has been problematic for me and a few others so I'm reducing my reliance on it.
            On a different thread I specifically asked another UK user what extra hardware I'd need. Apparently you only need the Hub BUT you'll need to have the MNsandler plug-in because I'm pretty sure that the standard Insteon plug-in does not support the Hub.

In case you're thinking of running it concurrently with X10, that same user said that, in his case using HS2, running them both together, using the hub, caused the MNsandler plug-in to lock-up. He wasn't sure whether that would be the case with HS3. I'm not sure what the problem was.

I'm very close to buying that model that you mentioned, 2242-442UK, and taking the risk. It's rectangular so does not fall into the unsupported HS2 category. I'm not sure of the 2014.

I came to the same conclusion about the PLM interfaces. I don't think they're available in the UK...very confusing

I've also bought a few Z wave devices because there's quite a wide range available in the UK, unlike Insteon.
            Last edited by isy.taman; April 21, 2015, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I live in the Netherlands and can confirm that the Hub (http://www.haibrain.com/insteon-hub-...lug-p-693.html) is working ok with HS2 and HS3 and MNSandlers plugin.
              For X10 I am still using my PMIX35. They can work togetter.
              Peter

http://ohh.pcgsm.nl

Comment

Thanks for that. That's taken away the last doubt I had.
                That, and what is proving to be excellent support for the plug-in.
                I've just ordered it from Amazon. Looking forward to joining the club.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

It's good to now know definitively that, in principle, Hub + Plugin work OK in the UK without the PLM devices.

However, I'm not keen to buy a Hub that's well out of date.

The 2242 Hub is identified as being from year 2012, and the Insteon website shows its performance is far worse than the newer 2245 version (identified as from year 2014, but not sure if a UK version exists).

I notice the US version of the 2245 is now marked down from $99 to $39.99 in the HomeSeer store, possibly because they are bringing out the improved(?) Hub Pro.

Mark, are you able to say anything about the enhancement of your plugin to work with the 2245 version and indeed the forthcoming Hub Pro?

Comment

Last edited by isy.taman; April 21, 2015, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I did a Google search for "insteon hub". There seems to be no other choice in the UK but the 2242-442.
                      I came across a thread in the Homeseer message board that seems to imply that the 2245 does not support X10 anyway.
                      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=171653

That would be no good for me if it's true. Although I'm phasing it out I still have some X10 devices left.

It looks to me that 2242 is the right (the only) choice and Mark said he was okay with it.

Comment

Guys,
                        the hub 2 is a completely different controller internally.

Smarthome has moved to a web based service for controlling it (ie sending device cmds, etc)

I haven't figured out if i can support this new API
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Actually the link to the Homeseer message board isn't that clear but if you're happy with the 2242 then that's fine with me.

Comment

So have you installed the 2242 ? Any feedback ?

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                              Guys,
                              the hub 2 is a completely different controller internally.

Smarthome has moved to a web based service for controlling it (ie sending device cmds, etc)

I haven't figured out if i can support this new API
                              My anxiety level just went up a few notches. I've got a lot of things wrapped up around the 2242-222. Smarthome only carries a refurbished version of it, but for how long? The major Canadian distributors and retail stores don't even carry the 2242-222 anymore.

When I read about all the issues the Zwave camp is going through and considering the stability and excellent support we get for your Insteon plugin, I felt I really made the right choice.

So I need to ask...

Mark, when you say you haven't figured out if you can support this new API, is it a question of
                              a- whether you will support it at all, or
                              b- whether you can technically support it, or
                              c- how long it will take you to support it?

I'm hoping for 'c'

Comment

Working...
                              X