This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to add Motion Sensor

Last Labor Day I moved, losing all of my Insteon with it (the missus and the realtor thought it would be a good selling point....grrr). So now I am finally getting things going in my new house. I am running 2413U (dual band) with plug-in 3.0.5.20 with HS .177, and I cannot get an MS added. I have tried with two brand-new 2842s. Both say they are hardware 1513 Rev 2.3. I press the set button until the red light starts flashing, then add a new device in HS. Just times out. I then also manually put the PLM in linking mode by holding the set button, then try adding it again. Just times out. I have added two wall switches successfully (one dual band, one PL only), but I cannot get the MS added. I have got to be overlooking something. What is it?

Scott

try manually linking the ms to the plm first:
    put plm in to linking mode, then put MS into linking mode.

then put the ms into linking mode, and register with plugin as before
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I must still be doing something really stupid (apparently working with Insteon isn't like riding a bike after not using it for nine months). I put the PLM in linking mode (by holding set button until it beeps and the green light starts flashing), then I put the MS in linking mode (by holding the set button for a few seconds until the red light starts flashing. What is supposed to happen when I do that? They now both just sit there flashing their respective lights. Does it matter that I have jumper 5 (the one on the right when upright and looking at it from the back) shorted so that I can change all settings within the plug-in?

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

the plm should beep. try the other direction. start with the MS linking mode, and then enable the plm linking mode. plm should beep

if so, put ms into linking mode again and register in plugin

jumper 5 enabled is fine (the others should be off). they are for settings not linking
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Doesn't matter which order I do it; they both just continue to flash. I can try manually linking the MS with another responder to rule out the MS. Is there logging I can turn on/up to verify whether the PLM is properly receiving RF signals? I turned on developer mode, but nothing extra shows up in the logs.

Scott

Comment

the plm will not process any msg if the device isn't linked first, thus nothing in the log

trying linking ms to switch to see if the switch will go on/off with the MS status
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Do you have any other RF devices to try? Or do you have any dual band devices or access points that you could set up and then see if the motion sensors would work. Maybe the RF part of your PLM is defective. I had this happen on one of my PLMs.

Comment

We have a winner! I plugged in an access point in the same room as the PLM, put the PLM in linking mode, and the moment the MS was in linking mode, the PLM beeped. But I still couldn't get the MS added to HS. What's weird is that instead of taking the time to time out, it just immediately said the device couldn't be reached. More fiddling, and then I noticed the USB cable to the PLM came unplugged. So I restarted HS, linked the MS to the PLM again, then added the MS to HS, and it added just fine.

In my old house I had a number of devices, many of them dual-band. So I never noticed when the PLM's RF went out. Obviously the more DB devices I add, the better I'll be, but should I get a new PLM?

Thanks for helping me work through this and figuring out it is faulty hardware. Now I have to figure out why my two Z-Wave locks both have a failure to negotiate a compatible security scheme. (My first foray into Z-Wave and of course it isn't going smoothly.)

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by sbueffel View Post
                  ... Now I have to figure out why my two Z-Wave locks both have a failure to negotiate a compatible security scheme. (My first foray into Z-Wave and of course it isn't going smoothly.)

Scott
                  HomeSeer seemed much more reliable to me before I added Z-wave. I hope it goes better for you. I added Z-wave for the same reason as you, locks. Anyway, I had to move each lock to within a few feet of the Z-stick controller to get them to add correctly. After that, I moved them back to each door and they worked correctly (well, 99% of the time if you allow for several seconds of delay at random times).

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
                    I had to move each lock to within a few feet of the Z-stick controller to get them to add correctly.
                    I did that when I added them and it seemed fine. But in the HS device manager I have no actions I can take on either lock. If I do a rescan in the ZWave node configuration, it connects to it, but gives a bunch of errors about security and says it may not add correctly to HS. I plan to remove them and try again, but I don't want to have to remove the locks from the door (though I know I need to so I can get them within in a few inches of the stick). Anyway, I will try doing that, and if I still have problems, I will post in the Zwave forum.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X