This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FanLinc and 2413S

I installed a FanLinc in an upstairs bedroom and I have a 2413S.
    Both devices are dual-band and both are on separate parts of my electrical service. I thought both devices being dual-band would allow them to communicate but I can't get the FanLinc added by its device id or the tap search method. Am I misunderstanding dual-band?

The RF signals often do not travel very far. This will be especially true if your fanlinc is behind a metal cover at the top of the fan. Your Insteon network will work much better if you add a 240V phase coupling device. Also, the more Insteon (particularly dual band) devices that you add, the better it will get.

Comment

you should have at least one dual-band device on each leg to begin with or a phase coupler at the panel.

i would add an access point between the two locations as well
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Ok, so I have the following installed:

1) Smarthome 2443 Access Point I
        2) Insteon 2406H SignaLinc
        3) Insteon 2334-232 Keypad Dimmer Switch

I'm finding that there's a delay on lights lighting. As I look at my registered devices, my FanLinc has a high failure rate for cmds

I've attached a screenshot of my devices:
        Attached Files

Comment

The 44% would account for the delay. the plugin will retry based on your settings and usually get the job done but at the expense of time.

noise is the cause of this problem; from where is the difficult question to answer

if you are using fluorescent bulbs in the fan, try LEDs and see if the delay is eliminated.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I do have LEDs in the fan. The keypad is literally 6 feet away from the FanLinc. Would it help to put the wireless access point closer to the FanLinc?

Comment

How about some checks to narrow things down. Do the comms test with both the light and the fan off. Does it do a lot better that way?
              If so, repeat with just the fan on and just the light on. Does having one or the other on make the failures go way up? If so that is the source of the noise.
              If it's still bad with the fan and light off, try turning off and unplugging as much other stuff as is reasonable. See if you can narrow it down to one or two problem devices.
              Is this bedroom fed by an arc-fault breaker?

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
                Do the comms test with both the light and the fan off. Does it do a lot better that way?
                I'm not sure what a "comms test" is?

Comment

comm test is a function on the manage device page, or a specific device page
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks, this doesn't look like good news?
                    The Master Bedroom New Lamp Module is actually the FanLinc, need a better name
                    Attached Files

Comment

if the fanlinc is inside a metal fan cowl, the RF signal might not be very strong. but try moving the Accesspoint to different locations, even in a room above the fanlinc. try putting the access point on the same circuit as the fanlinc.

when you only have a few insteon devices, the signal isn't as strong as when you have the devices installed all over.
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                        if the fanlinc is inside a metal fan cowl, the RF signal might not be very strong. but try moving the Accesspoint to different locations, even in a room above the fanlinc. try putting the access point on the same circuit as the fanlinc.

when you only have a few insteon devices, the signal isn't as strong as when you have the devices installed all over.

No, the FanLinc is outside the metal fan cowl. The Access Point should be on the same circuit but I'll move it closer to the FanLinc

Comment

was the fan running when you did the comm tests? if so, try again with the fan off and see of the stats are the same or different. compare stats with fan on vs fan off
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

neither the fan nor the lights ran when I did the test
                            strangely, I can control the fan now through the plugin, the light never comes on. should I delete the FanLinc device and re-add it now?

Comment

lets try this, run a long extension cord from the plm to an outlet on the same circuit as the fan, then retest the control and comm test.

if you can't control the light, then try the 'program device for homeseer' btn on the device edit page within the plugin. maybe a link is bad. Otherwise, yes, delete the device from the plugin, factory reset it (see manual) and then register it again.
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X