How to make a 3-way switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a 3-way switch?

With zwave you can buy a regular switch and an auxiliary/accessory switch. The aux switch is much cheaper than the regular switch. I have not found anything similar with insteon. Does it exist?

Do you have to do something special with the plugin to make a 3-way switch? Is the linking of the two switches done physically on the switches or on the plugin?

the easiest way is to link the two switches via the plugin.

once you register both switches, edit the links of one device, create a new link to the other device and check the 'crosslink' box so the link will be created in both directions.

you can also set the on level and ramp rate at the same time of the switches are dimmers.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
    Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

They used to sell a switch with no load connection. I still have a couple, but I don't think you can get them anymore. You'll have to use two normal Insteon switches. Just connect the load (light) to only one of them.

Comment

and cap off the red lead on the second switch.

this is all spelled out in the install guide for the switches
        Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
        Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

Working...
        X