This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new SL is being controlled by device with no links

Today I installed a new SL On/Off in the family room whose load controls an overhead light. It has a one-way link to an OL Dimmer in the family room. Those are the only links it has (besides HS ones). In the utility room, there is a SL On/Off whose load controls an overhead light. It has a two-way link to a KPL On/Off to make a 3-way switch. (The KPL is the slave. These were installed several weeks ago.) Those are the only links the utility room switches have (besides HS ones).

If I turn on the SL in the utility room (at the switch), the SL in the family room also turns on. What??!! What is even weirder is that nothing shows up in the logs for the family room switch. HS stills says it is off. Likewise, if I turn off the SL in the utility room, the family room SL turns off, with nothing logged. The OL Dimmer does not turn on or off, but sync responder is not checked for the SL (though it is for the OL).

I have reread the links in the family room and utility room SLs, and there are no references to one another. What on earth is going on here? This is a brand new SL in the family room and it is magically being controlled by another SL that has no links to it, no events referencing either one, and nothing logged about the family room SL when the utility room SL is toggled. I am stumped.

Scott

i would suggest doing a factory reset on the affected devices, reprogram the device for homeseer and relinking via the plugin as necessary.

i have seen situations where there are links in the device database, but for some reason the plugin can't read them.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

A couple extra bits of information, then the results. I discovered that not only turning on the utility room SL turned on the family room SL, but vice versa, where the family room SL also controlled the utility room SL. Additionally, the utility room KPL did not have any control over the family room SL, nor did turning on/off the family room SL change the KPL buttons even though the utility room SL has sync responders checked (but that only matters if the control was being done by HS, correct?).

I factory reset the family room SL, then did Reprogram Device. All is well, with behavior as expected from all switches.

I just don't get why a newly installed and programmed device, with no visible links in either device would have control over each other. IIRC, some of these recent devices had unknown links in them (presumably from the Insteon factory for QA testing), so I would remove them, which was always successful.

Mark, this issue doesn't seem like it has anything to do with your plugin, but do you have an idea how/why this happened?

Thanks for the simple idea of just factory reset, which worked. As an analytical IT guy, though, I like to know why things are the way they are, not just that a reboot/reinstall/re-something fixes it.

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

i suspect these two switches were at one time linked to each other at the factory and its possible that the links existed higher in the link database than the plugin reads (the plugin only reads until it hits the 'high water mark' bit and then stops); so they didn't get read. Thus the devices still responded to the links because they were in the link database.

glad its working as expected
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
        X