This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin can no longer communicate with PLM

So, about an hour ago I got a notification that the plugin could not connect to my 2413U.

I've tried: restarting the plugin, restarting homeseer, switching USB cables, unplugging the PLM, leaving the PLM and the HomeSeer server off for about 10 minutes, and checking windows device manager, but nothing seems to have worked.

Here is the initial log of when it first happened (in order from newest to oldest)

Oct-30 1:30:29 AM Insteon The serial port driver does not support the recovery process.
    Oct-30 1:30:29 AM Insteon Attempting to restart the port and Interface...
    Oct-30 1:30:28 AM Pushover 3P Pushover Notification Sent
    Oct-30 1:30:28 AM Event Event Trigger "Auto Insteon Failure"
    Oct-30 1:30:28 AM Insteon Scheduled polling temporarily stopped.
    Oct-30 1:30:28 AM Insteon Warning! Communications lost. Attempting to restart the port...
    Oct-30 1:30:28 AM Insteon Interface_TrapError called from SendHex
    Oct-30 1:30:28 AM Insteon The RF PLM has failed to transmit the last 10 commands.
    Oct-30 1:30:17 AM Insteon TransmitGroupMsg called for device code: Group:19, RF PLM Group 19
    Oct-30 1:30:17 AM Insteon Transmit failed to device Foyer Lights (1A.26.02) for cmd 00 00 00 1A 26 02 0F 13 00 after 5 tries.
    and here's the log from the most recent restart:

Oct-30 2:08:53 AM Insteon Error: An attempt was made to initialize an external Insteon device support but the plug-in has not completed initializing. The request was denied.
    Oct-30 2:08:51 AM Insteon Error: An attempt was made to initialize an external Insteon device support but the plug-in has not completed initializing. The request was denied.
    Oct-30 2:08:38 AM Insteon Could not contact Interface on COM5
    Oct-30 2:08:33 AM Insteon RegisterCallback Completed
    Oct-30 2:08:33 AM Insteon Insteon Support library (Insteon.dll) version: 1.0.5.20
    Oct-30 2:08:33 AM Insteon Host System: () 3.0.0.208
    Oct-30 2:08:33 AM Insteon Plugin: HSPI_Insteon.DLL - v3.0.5.20
    in device manager this is what I see:

unfortunately, the light on the PLM is not lit, but it hasn't been lit since I purchased the PLM directly from SmartHome back in (I think) 2013 and it has always been on COM5 since I upgraded to HS3 on a new server.

EDIT: I can't get the SimpleHomeNet Utility to connect to the PLM either, so I would say that it's safe to say it isn't an issue with the plugin or with HomeSeer, but with either the PLM or the USB port on the server. Tomorrow I will try a different USB port and see if that works. If not, do you recommend I try resetting the PLM?

yes factory reset the plm and see if the plugin will startup

you can use the reprogram interface to rebuild the plm links
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      yes factory reset the plm and see if the plugin will startup

you can use the reprogram interface to rebuild the plm links
      Unfortunately, it looks like the PLM is 100% dead. I've tried multiple outlets in my home and there are no indicators that it is powering on. Trying the factory reset does nothing and the unit makes no linking noises or LED indicators. I guess today's the day I upgrade to a hub, then!

Comment

Smarthome has been working on a more reliable plm.

I can't really recommend the hub v2.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Smarthome has been working on a more reliable plm.

I can't really recommend the hub v2.
          My only issue with getting another PLM is that I would love to have access to my insteon devices from my Harmony remotes, and it is only compatible with the 2245-222. Aside from one or two small issues, are there any major issues with the v2 hub that you are aware of?

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            My only issue with getting another PLM is that I would love to have access to my insteon devices from my Harmony remotes, and it is only compatible with the 2245-222. Aside from one or two small issues, are there any major issues with the v2 hub that you are aware of?
            please search this forum for info about the hub v2
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

please search this forum for info about the hub v2
              So I decided to go with the Hub v2, and have already set it up. (I'll probably be getting another 2413U later on if the issues I'm having persist, and just use the Hub for harmony/echo control).

Anyway, I know you don't officially support the 2245-222, but I was hoping you could possibly help me with some issues.

After setting it up and pointing the plugin to the IP/port, everything was going smoothly until I tried controlling a device.

If I pressed "On" on any Insteon device, it would immediately come on. If I pressed "Off" after turning it on, it would take about 10-15 seconds then turn off and every command after that would take about 10 seconds to go through.

Here's a snippet from the log when I turn on a device (in order from newest to oldest):

Nov-01 11:25:52 PM Insteon Did not receive a response from Hallway Lights (1A.1F.3C). Try #5 failed.
              Nov-01 11:25:32 PM Device Control Device: Upstairs ManCave Lights to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
              Nov-01 11:25:28 PM Device Control Device: Upstairs Hallway Lights to Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
              Nov-01 11:25:25 PM Device Control Device: Upstairs Hallway Lights to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
              At 11:25:25 PM, when I pressed "On" from HS, the lights came on instantly. Then, when I pressed "Off", they did not turn off. Then when I pressed "On" on ManCave Lights, they did not come on. Then at 11:25:52 they came on and the hallway lights turned off. So I'm not exactly sure what was happening in those 20 seconds.

I used Update Interface Links, which worked without error. Then, I tried "Program Swapped Interface" which failed with 0 devices reprogrammed and 31 devices not programmed with "device did not response" errors for each one. So, I tried "Reset and Reprogram Interface" which also did not work since the plugin couldn't reset the PLM.

I manually linked one of my switchlincs with the Hub and then did "Program swapped interface" and the switch was the only insteon device in my network to be reprogrammed. The other 30 devices failed again.

So, I manually linked about 20 other switches and tried "Program swapped interface" again, but all devices failed. I'm guessing the one switchlinc that worked before was a fluke. However, that switchlinc is now the only device in my network that On and Off commands work from HomeSeer with almost no delay.

Do you think my best option for HomeSeer control is to just get another 2413U or v1 Hub? I saw that other users had some luck with the v2 which is why I assumed some basic controls would work with HomeSeer, but I'm guessing that they didn't try to use the "Swap interface" method.

Extra information: My hub is plugged directly into the wall with no UPS or noise and the majority of my insteon devices are dual-band, if that helps.

The log only displayed this (one for every device in my network):

Nov-01 11:17:50 PM Insteon Did not receive a response from Kitchen Sink Lights ICON (20.76.C5). Try #5 failed.
              Nov-01 11:17:22 PM Insteon Sending Insteon ID Broadcast for '20.76.C5'
              Nov-01 11:17:22 PM Insteon Pass 2: Device 29 of 31, Now attempting to reprogram your device Kitchen Sink Lights ICON (20.76.C5) to the replacement interface...

Nov-01 11:15:03 PM Insteon Error, an error log file could not be written: System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError() at System.IO.FileInfo.MoveTo(String destFileName) at Insteon.Support.Utilities.LogManager.ReportError(String Msg)
              Nov-01 11:15:03 PM Insteon Calling AddRecord for 1D.5B.13 17 False
              Nov-01 11:15:03 PM Insteon 117 Links programmed...

Nov-01 11:15:03 PM Insteon ** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log
              Nov-01 11:15:03 PM Insteon Calling AddRecord for 1D.AB.38 254 False
              Nov-01 11:15:03 PM Insteon ** To request help with this problem please post this log file to the forum along with a detailed description of what lead to this problem.
              Thanks so much for any help!

- Brandon

Comment

Brandon,
                have you tried registering a new device against the hub?

i think you are finding my issues with the hub v2 support. my previous logic that worked with an Hub v1 isn't working with the v2. nothing easy i can do.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Brandon,
                  have you tried registering a new device against the hub?

i think you are finding my issues with the hub v2 support. my previous logic that worked with an Hub v1 isn't working with the v2. nothing easy i can do.
                  I could register "new" devices with the hub with the insteon app but not with HS. I decided to just get a new 2413U and used the "swap interface" method when I put it in, which eventually worked 100% after 2 runs.

I wish I would have done that sooner! My network is now almost twice as fast and links that previously had ~80% reliability now have 100%. That could also be related to the fact that my old PLM was v1.5 and the new one is v2.1

Anyway, I'm glad that I purchased the 2245-222 though, since I can still use it to access all of my insteon devices from my Harmony remotes and an Echo (when I buy one).

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Hi Mark,

After several years of reliable service and no changes, I suddenly started having the following similar problem. However, a disable/re-enable resolves it temporarily.

Code:
                    Nov-13 5:16:37 PM	 	Insteon	The serial port driver does not support the recovery process.
                    Nov-13 5:16:37 PM	 	Insteon	Attempting to restart the port and Interface...
                    Nov-13 5:16:36 PM	 	Insteon	Warning! Communications lost. Attempting to restart the port...
                    Nov-13 5:16:36 PM	 	Insteon	Interface_TrapError called from SendHex
                    Nov-13 5:16:36 PM	 	Insteon	Transmit failed to device Outdoor Lamp Post (2B.15.29) for cmd 00 00 00 2B 15 29 0F 11 FF after 10 tries.
                    Nov-13 5:16:36 PM	 	Insteon	The RF PLM has failed to transmit the last 10 commands.
                    Nov-13 5:16:01 PM	 	Device Control	Device: Outdoor Lamp Post to On (100)
                    Nov-13 5:16:01 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Outdoor Lamp Post On"
                    I have re-booted, upgraded to your 3.0.5.20 version, but no luck. After about an hour, the plug-in loses communication per above. I would ASSume its the PLM, but don't want to buy a new one and be wrong. It is possible its the computer's USB port, though it is not issuing any errors.

Ideas/direction?

-BD

Comment

have you tried a reset and reprogram via the plugin on the plm?

it looks like you are using a serial plm with a serial-usb adapter

how about the drivers for the adapter, or usb port; check those
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                      X