This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubleshooting FanLinc

I have a FanLinc that isn't quite working and I'm fairly new to Insteon. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting or what steps to take. The FanLinc is not communicating with the PLM (usb). Every time I test communication to the device I get 4 out of 4 failed.

I tried to factory reset it. The directions say it should beep X times and flash Y times, but it doesn't do that exactly. When you push the button the light does come on. All of my other Insteon devices are working.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Originally posted by jogentry View Post
    I have a FanLinc that isn't quite working and I'm fairly new to Insteon. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting or what steps to take. The FanLinc is not communicating with the PLM (usb). Every time I test communication to the device I get 4 out of 4 failed.

I tried to factory reset it. The directions say it should beep X times and flash Y times, but it doesn't do that exactly. When you push the button the light does come on. All of my other Insteon devices are working.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    what kind of light bulbs are you controlling in the fan? fluorescent can cause noise which affects the insteon signal.

also, do you have another rf device close to the fanlinc? this may help comm.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      what kind of light bulbs are you controlling in the fan? fluorescent can cause noise which affects the insteon signal.

also, do you have another rf device close to the fanlinc? this may help comm.
      It is controlling all LEDs. There is a dual band switchlinc in the next room, separated by a wall. The distance between is probably fifteen feet through the wall.

Comment

there must be some interference. try all the usual debugging tasks:

-turn off 900mhz devices (insteon uses 915mhz)
        -run extension cord from plm to outlet on same circuit as the fanlinc; and retest
        -shutoff unnecesary breakers
        -put filters on noisy devices (ups, tv, laptop bricks, etc)
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

there must be some interference. try all the usual debugging tasks:

-turn off 900mhz devices (insteon uses 915mhz)
          -run extension cord from plm to outlet on same circuit as the fanlinc; and retest
          -shutoff unnecesary breakers
          -put filters on noisy devices (ups, tv, laptop bricks, etc)
          I don't have any 900 mhz devices. I did run an extension cord and tried unplugging all of the computers and nothing changed.

I tried a reset of the plm and reprogram links to see what happens. I used to have 15 links, but now I have only 14. The one that's missing is the responderlink for the FanLinc. Could that be the problem?
          Attached Files

Comment

I don't have any 900 mhz devices. I did run an extension cord and tried unplugging all of the computers and nothing changed.

I tried a reset of the plm and reprogram links to see what happens. I used to have 15 links, but now I have only 14. The one that's missing is the responderlink for the FanLinc. Could that be the problem?
            the responderlink isn't the issue. the fanlinc is a responder only device, so the plm doesn't need that link. it may have been an old link that i once created.

is it too much trouble to pull the fanlinc down and wire it to a cut extension cord and test locally
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Unfortunately, my electrician (dad) and his ten foot step ladder are not available until next week.

Does deleting the device and re-adding it do anything for me?

Comment

try the 'program device for homeseer' button on the edit device page within the plugin
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

try the 'program device for homeseer' button on the edit device page within the plugin
                  It WORKS! Thanks for your help Mark.

Comment

It WORKS! Thanks for your help Mark.
                    can you recheck the links in the interface/plm and see what changed, or maybe the links in the fanlinc never got written correctly
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

can you recheck the links in the interface/plm and see what changed, or maybe the links in the fanlinc never got written correctly
                      It didn't change. It looks the same as the screenshot I posted earlier.

Comment

It didn't change. It looks the same as the screenshot I posted earlier.
                        i'll guess that the links in the fanlinc didn't get written correctly.
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                        X