This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RF only devices are inconsistent

Absolutely love this plugin. Thanks for all the hard work. I'm interested in hearing from other users about the reliability of their RF only insteon devices?

I have several motion sensors and the hidden door sensors. They work most of the time. HOWEVER! A few times a week I'll have a motion sensor that for whatever reasons stops responding. They are hooked up to turn on lights, so in these instances I end up fumbling around in the dark.

Hidden door sensors are the same way. A few times a week it won't register that the door has closed. I have announcements set up for when a door has been left open, so it alerts everyone in the house....sometimes very late at night...even though the door is actually closed. This happens to multiple doors, so it isn't the individual sensor.

I have 60ish dualband devices in my house. Every RF only device has a dualband device within 10ft. I have checked all the batteries in each of the devices. I just purchased a range extender thinking I had a weird dead spot. Installed it today and still got a false door open message.

Any thoughts? Are these devices really that unreliable? Door sensors and motion sensors are supposed to provide additional security. I feel like anything this inconsistent can't be relied on for security.

Every so often, I'll miss a message from one of my wireless only devices (motion sensors mostly). It's annoying, and it shouldn't happen (since there are some retries), but it does. I have either dual band plug-in devices or access points near each. I have found that dual band light switches and keypad lincs are not as good (for RF) as the access points and plug-in devices. I suspect that this is because the switches are mostly in metal boxes, and the switch plates are all metal.

I also have Z-wave, and every so often it too misses a message from a thermostat or door lock. Mostly, I just notice this in the log. To me, having two different wireless systems sometimes miss messages (not at the same time, as far as I can tell), implies that maybe some strong RF interference happens every now and then from some unknown (to me) source.

I do also have (much less often) a motion sensor (different one each time) that locks up and won't work again until I remove and reinstall the battery. This is maybe one every two or four months. In contrast, no problems (of course) with my wired motion sensors.

Comment

This happens to me a couple of times a week, although I'm skeptical that it's the plugin.
      I see when the door sensor is triggered but the z-wave light did not. This is in my event, works most of the time. Usually when I have an issue it is a delay with HS3.

Comment

I get delays every once in a while. I'll walk past a motion sensor and it takes a few additional seconds before it turns on the light. That's annoying, but not terrible.

Some of my motion sensors just stop responding for several minutes at a time and for my hidden door sensors I end up having to open/close the door 10 times before I get the state to change. I'll be investigating interference later, but to my knowledge I have ZERO cfl in the house. I hate those things!

Comment

Working...
        X