X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add New Insteon Devices

Hi Mark,
    I have not been able to get the Tap-Add feature for Insteon devices in your HS3 plug-in. I used this feature in the HS2 Insteon plug-in successfully for many years. The interface currently used with Insteon is the Power Line Modem #2412S. This is what I tried:
    1. First used version 3.0.5.10, then upgraded to 3.0.5.86; not working with either
    2. Disabled and re-enabled the Insteon plug-in; status OK upon re-enabling each time
    3. Rebooted computer a few times; no luck
    4. Tried linking a few switches that I was trying to tap-add and could successfully link them both directions. (they seem to be communicating)
    5. I took off wall plates, wrote down addresses, and tried adding the devices manually; no luck. The page indicates:
    The plug-in is currently working. This page will refresh regularly and update the status. Do not leave this page until the 'Continue' button is presented.
    Afterwards:
    The Insteon device at 09.74.90 did not respond. Please check to make sure the address is correct and that the device is powered-up. The device was not registered.
    *** I tried this on three devices in separate areas of the house that could directly link successfully to each other outside of Homeseer.

Note that I can still use HS3 to interface with previously addressed Insteon switches. Please let me know if you can help me further troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks,
    Mike

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.293 (Windows)
    HomeSeer: Is Registered
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home - Work Station
    OS Version: 10.0.10586 Service Pack: 0.0
    Insteon Error Report Attached
    Attached Files

try the reset and reprogram on the interface via the plugin config page.

have you checked for noise blocking the inbound msgs.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Hi Mark,

I tried the "reset and reprogram" with no luck.

Can you tell me if there is a good/easy way to "check for noise blocking the inbound msgs"?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonmj View Post
        Hi Mark,

I tried the "reset and reprogram" with no luck.

Can you tell me if there is a good/easy way to "check for noise blocking the inbound msgs"?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
        Mike
        Run an extension cord from another outlet on a different circuit to the PLM (as a test)

unplug unnecessary devices plugged into the same outlet/circuit as the PLM
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Hi Mark,
          I tried plugging the PLM into a number of different outlets on various circuits and got mixed results regarding reliability with devices already connected. Unfortunately, though, it did not enable HomeSeer to add the previously referenced unregistered devices. In addition, I tested communication (ping) for all Insteon devices in my house and they vary dramatically from 0% to 100%, averaging 53% for those that report. Total devices: 118; Reporting: 74. Of those not reporting, a number are new devices I added to replace "dead" Insteon devices and there are quite a few more (~10) that have died and I have not replaced yet. These are all switches, keypads, and outlets that vary greatly in age. Although I have quite a few additional ApplianceLinc and LampLinc devices, none of these are currently plugged in (they are used during the holidays). Note that I also have 25 non-functional, cataloged, and removed Insteon devices in a box. Unfortunately, very frustrating to have this much of an issue with the Smarthome product.

Note additional details with my setup:
          - My PLM #2412S is plugged into an outlet 3 feet away from my main breaker box. The only other thing on the circuit (prior to the extension cord test) is my computer running HomeSeer, which is using a FilterLinc 1626-10.
          - I installed a Signa Linc 2406H phase coupler between power phases using a double-pole 15A circuit
          - I currently have 4 Access Points #2443 (These need to be checked for functionality, which I will do tomorrow)

I'm not sure what else I can/should do from here. From all the troubleshooting, it appears to be a noise and/or communication issue as you suggested.

Your continued support would be appreciated,
          Mike

Comment

Mike,
            your setup of the 2412s, and 2406H is perfect. Exactly what I do.

if you have a lot of dualband devices, you may find the Access Points unnecessary. I actually pulled all my 2443 units. But I have almost 100% dualband switchlincs.

Definitely sounds like you have other electronics causing issues. To find the source, just unplug other electronics one at a time and rerun the 'test comm' feature. You can also just cut breakers and retest to see if your results improve. This will help you narrow down where the issue is. Otherwise, just get a bunch of filterlincs and put them on computers, stereo equip, any kind of power adapter, etc. Fluorescent bulbs also cause noise/signal issues.

good luck
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Mike,

It sounds to me like you have some Insteon signal loading issues (I've been through it...). Refer to this post http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...38&postcount=5 for my experiences.

I think you'll find that a lot of your "dead" devices will spring back to life once you eliminate all the signal issues. It will cost you some time and filterlincs, but you will have a very robust system once its done.

Comment

Working...
              X