This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug-In Stopped Working - Solved!

So it all started with "Cannot connect to port: COM3". Reading the forum I added "PortType=USB" in config session of Insteon.Ini, but it still cannot connect and no command works.

What should I do? Need some help here.

is the com3 virtual port showing in the windows device manager
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Attaching logs to help analysis
      Attached Files

Comment

Not anymore Mark. But it was working for more than one year. Light is green and all seems to work fine.

Comment

if com3 doesn't show in the device manager, than this is a windows problem. try updating the ftdi chipset drivers. there is a link in the forum. try a different usb port (this will change the com port # but may work)
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks Mark.

I tried re-install direvers, change port and nothing seems to work.
            Any idea based on your experice I can do to have it back?

Comment

Is com3 an onboard serial port, an add on card port, or a USB to serial device?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I just had a case on my system which I just converted to Win10. Homeseer kept saying it could not connect to the PLM on port 3, even though port 3 was present in device manager. It turned out that Win10 for some reason reallocated the all port numbers to the various serial ports. It threw me off because device manager was showing port 3, but it was actually a different device. I used Device Manager to reset all the serial ports to their original port numbers and everything came back to life.

To check if the device is there under another number, watch device manager under "Ports" while you unplug the USB serial device. If one of the ports disappears, that's the one. Change the port number to what it is supposed to be (Properties / Port Settings / Advanced / Com Port #). If windows has assigned the number to another device, you need to change that one first to avoid duplicates. In my case, I had to change 4 ports in the right order.

Comment

I found the issue. The USB cable for some reason broke. I replaced teh USB cable and is back to life.

Comment

thanks for reporting back.
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

But wait...

I have the exact same problem, only switching my USB cable has not solved it. I went so far as to order another 2413U from SmartHome. I cannot get it configured. I have downloaded the driver from FTDICHIP.COM, but it does not show up in Device Manager.

Can someone guide me through this?

Jim Speiser
                      38-year veteran of Home Automation
                      Still don't know squat

Comment

Current Date/Time: 9/12/2016 12:46:49 PM
                        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.297
                        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Work Station
                        System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 0 Minutes 15 Seconds
                        IP Address: 192.168.1.121
                        Number of Devices: 205
                        Number of Events: 36
                        Available Threads: 600

Enabled Plug-Ins
                        3.0.5.68: Insteon
                        3.0.0.11: NetCAM

Jim Speiser
                        Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
                          I have the exact same problem, only switching my USB cable has not solved it. I went so far as to order another 2413U from SmartHome. I cannot get it configured. I have downloaded the driver from FTDICHIP.COM, but it does not show up in Device Manager.

Can someone guide me through this?
                          did the drivers install successfully?

have you tried a different usb port on your box

are other usb devices working when plugged into the same usb port
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

CANCEL RED ALERT

It's all good. In my case I had a USB port go bad. I transferred to another USB port, the device was recognized, I updated the device driver, and we're back online. All hands stand down, secure from general quarters.

Now to see if SmartHome will take back this new 2413U that I don't need.

Jim Speiser
                            Still don't know squat

Comment

glad it was that easy. Smarthome should take it back. but some keep a spare around just in case.
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X