This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Base HS Insteon Plugin versus Mark Sandler's

I'd like to see a summary of what the HS Insteon plugin can (and cannot do) versus Mark Sandler's plugin.

I think I've 'grown up' to the limit of the base HS one, so before I drop $50, I'd like to make sure I'm doing the right thing...

My biggest question right now is, how do I switch ON and OFF Insteon scenes from HS3?

Thx,

A

I don't think we have a comparison. the biggest difference is the array of devices mine supports vs the homeseer plugin.

as for scenes; you just need to create a group in my plugin, and the plugin will create a hs device that you can use to control the group/scene.

please be aware if you move to my plugin you will need to start over with your insteon setup in homeseer. there is no conversion.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      I don't think we have a comparison. the biggest difference is the array of devices mine supports vs the homeseer plugin.

as for scenes; you just need to create a group in my plugin, and the plugin will create a hs device that you can use to control the group/scene.

please be aware if you move to my plugin you will need to start over with your insteon setup in homeseer. there is no conversion.
      Thanks Mark - you anticipated my next question...!

Currently I am duplicating the registration of each new Insteon device in HS3 and Hub. I can create scenes in Hub SW. So with your plugin can I control scenes created in the Hub as well as HS device groups? Meaning:

Create scene 'Outside Lights' in Hub that contains Lights A, B, C and D
      Then in HS3 with your Insteon plugin. Switch 'Outside Lights' ON or OFF

Possible?

Follow on - the scenes that can be created manually on switches and sensors (Insteon calls them controllers and responders I believe) - does that information get exposed in your plugin so that I can activate those scenes also from within HS3?

Sorry for all the questions - treat it as pre-sales!

Comment

The short is, anything "insteon" you want to control via hs has to be defined in the plugin. The plugin does not attempt to determine scenes/groups created via other applications (ie hub sw, houselinc etc) or even locally on the switches.

there is one exception to this...there is a plugin feature "sync linked responder devices' that will update a linked device if you control the first device via hs. the best example is a t3-way circuit. if you control the main switch via hs, the plugin can update the status of the aux switch, and even the physical switch.

so you can use this feature for scenes you created via manual links as long as you have read the links into the plugin.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

The short is, anything "insteon" you want to control via hs has to be defined in the plugin. The plugin does not attempt to determine scenes/groups created via other applications (ie hub sw, houselinc etc) or even locally on the switches.

there is one exception to this...there is a plugin feature "sync linked responder devices' that will update a linked device if you control the first device via hs. the best example is a t3-way circuit. if you control the main switch via hs, the plugin can update the status of the aux switch, and even the physical switch.

so you can use this feature for scenes you created via manual links as long as you have read the links into the plugin.
          Thanks Mr. Insteon Overlord ! Will be switching to your plugin shortly. and probably the Ademco one also (once I get all my Insteon stuff good)...

Comment

Do the linked devices turn on simultaneously? i.e. when I turn on a scene that has 4 lights using the light switch they all turn on at the same time. Will that happen with HS or is there a noticeable delay between each light turning on

Comment

Originally posted by c094728 View Post
              Do the linked devices turn on simultaneously? i.e. when I turn on a scene that has 4 lights using the light switch they all turn on at the same time. Will that happen with HS or is there a noticeable delay between each light turning on
              As long as you set them as a group, they will all turn on/off at very nearly the same time (well under one second difference).

Comment

Where do I find this plugin feature "sync linked responder devices" ?
                I see under "edit device links" it shows unknown devices that I assume are the links I created using the hub. i.e
                Link #3 Switch/Load is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 3 (56.02.9F)
                So there is no way to control this Device group 3 (56.02.9F) from HS? In the case of linked 3 way switches does HS require that a separate group be created so that both switches turn on/off at the same time?

Comment

the sync feature (a check box) is on the device edit page for any controller device.

what device has insteon id 56.02.9F?

you dont need separate groups. one group can control multiple devices, and can have a designated Controller (ie a physical device)

there are event insteon actions to control groups as well.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                  X