This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Sensor Heartbeat?

I have a single motion sensor that is pre-configured (in the Insteon Plug-in) for having a "heartbeat" status. Reading through here, I get the impression that "heartbeat" is an IOLinc status. Does it also apply to Motion Sensors? Only a certain release of Motion Sensors? Or is it not supposed to be there at all?

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

a MS with fw 44+ does have a heartbeat device. its supported in version 3.0.5.61 or later

the heartbeat provides status and also an indicator that the unit is still online.

you can setup a trigger for notification if you haven't received a heartbeat msg in a day or so.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      a MS with fw 44+ does have a heartbeat device. its supported in version 3.0.5.61 or later

the heartbeat provides status and also an indicator that the unit is still online.

you can setup a trigger for notification if you haven't received a heartbeat msg in a day or so.
      Where can I find the details on this heartbeat?

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
        Where can I find the details on this heartbeat?
        you just found it Smarthome doesn't document these features for the general public.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

you just found it Smarthome doesn't document these features for the general public.
          So then here go the questions:
          • At what frequency does the MS send out a heartbeat?
          • Does it trip the HS device On then back to Off?
          • Does it operate regardless of other settings, for example when 'night only' is set?

Comment

At what frequency does the MS send out a heartbeat?
            every 24 hrs, I believe.

Does it trip the HS device On then back to Off?
            Yes

Does it operate regardless of other settings, for example when 'night only' is set?
            Yes
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I'm trying to set an event against the heartbeat, but that device has no entries on the 'Status Graphics' tab, which makes it difficult to check conditions.

What should those entries be? Or am I missing something here?

Comment

add RecreateDevice=1 to the [device x] section of the MS and then restart the plugin or homeseer. This will rebuild just that one device. should fix the graphics/status

if it doesn't delete the device from the plugin, and re-register
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

add RecreateDevice=1 to the [device x] section of the MS and then restart the plugin or homeseer. This will rebuild just that one device. should fix the graphics/status

if it doesn't delete the device from the plugin, and re-register
                  Had to delete/re-add, bummer since I had to redo related events (reason why I used 'replace device'), but no big deal.

Comment

Let me know what you think of the heartbeat function when you have a chance.
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

So then here go the questions:
                      • At what frequency does the MS send out a heartbeat?
                      • Does it trip the HS device On then back to Off?
                      • Does it operate regardless of other settings, for example when 'night only' is set?
                      It sends a heartbeat message "about" every 24 hours, it can be many minutes longer or shorter. My heartbeat warning events look for no heartbeat for 50 hours. That allows for some variation in the 24 hours, plus one missed heartbeat message. IE no heartbeat in 2 days + 2 hours, it must be failed so send myself an email reminder to change the battery. This has worked very well for me.

Comment

Let me know what you think of the heartbeat function when you have a chance.
                        I have an event to write to the log when the MS heartbeat signals. I see "Last Ran: Today 2:13:50 AM" against that event, but there's no entry in the log. I also have an event that sends me an email if no heartbeat in the last 48 hours and again no email sent, so the heartbeat must have signaled. What am I not seing here?
                        Here's the event:
                        Attached Files

Comment

I have an event to write to the log when the MS heartbeat signals. I see "Last Ran: Today 2:13:50 AM" against that event, but there's no entry in the log. I also have an event that sends me an email if no heartbeat in the last 48 hours and again no email sent, so the heartbeat must have signaled. What am I not seing here?
                          Here's the event:
                          are you seeing the insteon heartbeat msg at all?
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

are you seeing the insteon heartbeat msg at all?
                            The heartbeat "on" time is extremely short. It sends an "On" immediately followed by an "Off". Is it possible that its too short to trigger the "Changes and becomes" condition? Maybe you could try the "Insteon special trigger" "Transmits an On Command" instead of "Changes and Becomes".

Comment

To clarify...

I see no heartbeat in the log.

I have these events:
                              • Check if 'heartbeat' device changes and becomes On: event has never triggered
                              • Check if 'heartbeat' device transmits an On command: event has never triggered
                              • Check if 'heartbeat' device has been Off for at least 2 days: hasn't been 2 days yet since I created this event

Comment

Working...
                              X