Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I re-added the MS, I forgot to set the "Read settings after On cmds (0=Disable)", so it was 0 by default; I normally set it to 10.

Could it be that the heartbeat is dependent on this setting? Does the MS control the timing for firing its heartbeat, or does it use the window of communication when it sends an On cmd?

I temporarily set the "Read settings after On cmds (0=Disable)" to 1, so will see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
      To clarify...

I see no heartbeat in the log.

I have these events:
      • Check if 'heartbeat' device changes and becomes On: event has never triggered
      • Check if 'heartbeat' device transmits an On command: event has never triggered
      • Check if 'heartbeat' device has been Off for at least 2 days: hasn't been 2 days yet since I created this event
      if the the heartbeat device status hasn't changed in the last 24-48 hrs then the plugin isn't receiving the msg so the trigger will never fire.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

When I re-added the MS, I forgot to set the "Read settings after On cmds (0=Disable)", so it was 0 by default; I normally set it to 10.

Could it be that the heartbeat is dependent on this setting? Does the MS control the timing for firing its heartbeat, or does it use the window of communication when it sends an On cmd?

I temporarily set the "Read settings after On cmds (0=Disable)" to 1, so will see what happens.
        this has no affect on the heartbeat msg. you are over thinking this feature.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          this has no affect on the heartbeat msg. you are over thinking this feature.
          So you're saying the MS controls the timing for firing its heartbeat, right?

Comment

So you're saying the MS controls the timing for firing its heartbeat, right?
            yes
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Well, I'm not getting any further with this heartbeat. In fact, I'm seeing other issues.

I have "Read settings after On cmds" set to 1 on a motion sensor (fw 44). I had changed some settings on that device a few days ago, so the plugin showed "There are Op Flag changes pending"; it still shows that warning and the parameters have not been updated. But I regularly see "2: (Dusk/Dawn Sensor)" sending messages at dusk and dawn.

I also noticed that the battery voltage value on the Dev Mgmt page never gets updated.

All this seems to point to the plugin (3.0.5.87, on HS3 3.0.0.293) not reading settings after receiving an On command. The log shows
              Oct-24 17:44:33 Insteon Received 36.9C.DA:2 ([1:Salon] MS1 Night Sensor) Go ON
              But is not followed, as it did with my previous MS, by the usual
              Nov-20 16:09:30 Insteon Motion Sensor 13.EF.65 settings read successfully.
              Pin pair 5 is shorted (I even changed the jumper to be sure)

Mark: anything to suggest as a next debug step?

Comment

reprogram the MS, seems like the links are messed up0
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I went all out and factory reset the MS. The plugin now updates program settings and op flags. Still waiting to see that heartbeat pop up though.

Comment

MS heartbeat - findings

Finally getting some heartbeats from the MS.

Heartbeats do occur every 24 hours, +/- 10 minutes, so far. But it did skip the first day.

I found that the heartbeat does not trigger an event using the Insteon special trigger "Transmits an On Command", but, strangely, it does using "changes and becomes On". I should mention that both events are active, but that shouldn't matter. This does not make sense since I believe Mark's plugin has first access to the message.

I have never gotten a 'low battery' warning from a MS. I'm using an event with "Transmits an On Command": should I use "changes and becomes On"? I know that "Transmits an On Command" works because I use it successfully for other device types.

Mark - do you have any thoughts as to why the special trigger would not fire specifically for a MS?

Comment

The triggers are working as designed. the heartbeat is not an official status msg. its just to let you know the MS is still online. You will need to use a HS standard trigger to monitor the heartbeat.
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                        The triggers are working as designed. the heartbeat is not an official status msg. its just to let you know the MS is still online. You will need to use a HS standard trigger to monitor the heartbeat.
                        Thanks for clarifying this. I just hope users come across this thread, as I don't think the Insteon plugin documentation highlights this special behavior.

Comment

Is the handling of 'hearbeat' broadly true for all Insteon devices? (In the sense that all of them toggle on-then-off roughly every 24 hours?

...and of course, I mean "all Insteon devices that create a 'Heartbeat' device."

-M

Comment

Originally posted by MarkHargrove View Post
                            Is the handling of 'hearbeat' broadly true for all Insteon devices? (In the sense that all of them toggle on-then-off roughly every 24 hours?

...and of course, I mean "all Insteon devices that create a 'Heartbeat' device."

-M
                            Yes they work the same
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                            X