Integrating Insteon with zee S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Integrating Insteon with zee S2

I started this discussion as I was migrating from Insteon to z-wave. The discussion has gone beyond my original question and beyond migrating.
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...g-from-insteon

The lastest post addressed my problems involving port forwarding which is disabled on my router. The fix is to bridge the modem. In order to bridge my modem, I am told I have to contact my Internet provider and ask for a second ISP. I tried that and was put on hold with a waiting time of hours. This was the that help. I just don't have the time to wait around for that.

Also, even though I programmed our porch light to go on at dusk, it goes on two hours early and turns off two hours before sunrise. Yes, I did set the time zone and DST. The hub probably needs replacing as it was the second generation hub. I decided to invest in z-wave instead.

Also, Insteon traffic causes our LED lights to flicker badly.

It has been a good system. But, it is not worth upgrading the hub.

Just so you know. There are two Insteon sub-forums. One is for a plugin that I assume was developed by HS. The other is from an independent author by the name of Mark Sandler. His plugin is very popular and well supported. It is used by many insteon folks. When I mentioned you might have better luck in the insteon forum, I meant Mark's plugin.

Here is a link to that forum. Mark is very knowledgeable about insteon as are other forum members.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...teon-mnsandler

Comment

Thanks. I do assume Mark still requires the use of an Insteon controller. I'll keep him in mind though.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry68 View Post
        Thanks. I do assume Mark still requires the use of an Insteon controller. I'll keep him in mind though.
        You will need an Insteon PLM or Hub no matter what plugin you use. There are currently 3 plugins

1. HS Provided Insteon (discontinued/unsupported)
        2. Insteon (Mark Sandler) HS3 directly uses a PLM connected via USB
        3. ISYInsteon integrates the ISY994i system with HomeSeer

I have recently been testing item 2 and 3. If you do NOT have an ISY994i then option 2 is the best way to go. Connect the PLM to your HS3 box and configure the port and you are good to go. Or connect via IP to the Insteon hub. Option 3 works if you have an existing ISY994i system. It works ok but I think there's some updates needed for the latest ISY 5.0.14 Beta firmware.

Comment

...Also, even though I programmed our porch light to go on at dusk, it goes on two hours early and turns off two hours before sunrise. Yes, I did set the time zone and DST. ...
          Did you set your location correctly? What times does it give for sunrise/sunset in the bar at the top of the page?

I have both Z-wave and Insteon, because there are some devices that Insteon does not have, and some that Z-wave does not have. Otherwise I would be all Insteon. Z-wave is a pain compared to Insteon, at least for me. (95% of the bulbs in my house are LED of various brands. I do not notice any flickering.)

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

Did you set your location correctly? What times does it give for sunrise/sunset in the bar at the top of the page?

I have both Z-wave and Insteon, because there are some devices that Insteon does not have, and some that Z-wave does not have. Otherwise I would be all Insteon. Z-wave is a pain compared to Insteon, at least for me. (95% of the bulbs in my house are LED of various brands. I do not notice any flickering.)
            It seems as if some LEDs are more sensitive to flicker than others. It may also have to do with having a dimmer switch on the LED. The LED is rated as being dimmable.

I did set the location correctly on the hub. However, for some reason, I am unable to find the hub on my network again. I did have to add a network switch to accommodate the network drives. Some devices, such as the Insteon hub, seem to be invisible behind the switch. I have tried crossover network cables too. So, I no longer know the status of the time zone.

Comment

The Insteon PLM may be something to consider after all. When it was suggested before, I didn't understand that it was just an interface between z-wave and Insteon. Unfortunately, it does not solve my LED flicker due to Insteon traffic. I don't mind to live with flicker, as long as it is not the cause of shortened LED life.

Comment

It seems as if some LEDs are more sensitive to flicker than others. It may also have to do with having a dimmer switch on the LED. The LED is rated as being dimmable.

I did set the location correctly on the hub. However, for some reason, I am unable to find the hub on my network again. I did have to add a network switch to accommodate the network drives. Some devices, such as the Insteon hub, seem to be invisible behind the switch. I have tried crossover network cables too. So, I no longer know the status of the time zone.
                The location needs to be set on HomeSeer. Go to Tools - Setup - General tab.
                (If you are using the hub without HomeSeer, then this may be the wrong forum.)

The majority of my LED bulbs are on Insteon dimmers. I do have one on a Z-ware dimmer, and it is doing fine too.

Comment

The Insteon PLM may be something to consider after all. When it was suggested before, I didn't understand that it was just an interface between z-wave and Insteon
                  To clarify, the PLM is an interface between the HomeSeer computer and Insteon (powerline and wireless). It is not a direct interface to z-wave. If you are using the Zee, it has a z-wave interface built-in, and HS events can respond to things on one technology using the other (as an example, a z-wave humidity sensor can send humidity info to HS and HS can turn on an Insteon switch for a fan in response).
                  HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

So, the zee s2 is using the hub as an interface only, not for any programming. I still have the issue that I cannot find the hub if it is connected behind a network switch. I don't have enough ports on my router/modem to accommodate all my network drives and other devices, so I require the switch.

Comment

The Insteon PLM may be something to consider after all. When it was suggested before, I didn't understand that it was just an interface between z-wave and Insteon. ....
                      This is not true. The Insteon PLM or hub (you can use the hub you already have, controlled locally by HomeSeer) is an interface between your Insteon devices and HomeSeer. You also would need an interface between HomeSeer and your Z-wave devices. (The Zee may have one builtin, I don't know.) Anyway, there is nothing direct between the two protocols. You use events in HomeSeer to "link" the two if you need that.

Hub or PLM, HomeSeer would have the same full control. Any web or internal programming of the hub would not be used. Personally, I prefer the PLM since it does not have to be polled for Insteon traffic. That makes Insteon triggered events a little faster, I think.

I wonder if the flicker has to do with the quality of your electrical service or sources of electrical noise in your house? Noise will cause Insteon to transmit more messages (and maybe even at a higher power level). I have filters on the things in my house that were creating noise.

Comment

... I still have the issue that I cannot find the hub if it is connected behind a network switch. I don't have enough ports on my router/modem to accommodate all my network drives and other devices, so I require the switch.
                        My setup is modem - Router (with WiFi) - switch - devices, PCs - switch - WiFi repeater.
                        I can get to everything. I think that you likely have a switch and some devices connected to your modem/router, and your PC also connected to the modem/router. You need to only have one thing connected to the modem/router, a switch. Everything should then connect to the switch, even if you have to cascade another switch to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

This is not true. The Insteon PLM or hub (you can use the hub you already have, controlled locally by HomeSeer) is an interface between your Insteon devices and HomeSeer. You also would need an interface between HomeSeer and your Z-wave devices. (The Zee may have one builtin, I don't know.) Anyway, there is nothing direct between the two protocols. You use events in HomeSeer to "link" the two if you need that.

Hub or PLM, HomeSeer would have the same full control. Any web or internal programming of the hub would not be used. Personally, I prefer the PLM since it does not have to be polled for Insteon traffic. That makes Insteon triggered events a little faster, I think.

I wonder if the flicker has to do with the quality of your electrical service or sources of electrical noise in your house? Noise will cause Insteon to transmit more messages (and maybe even at a higher power level). I have filters on the things in my house that were creating noise.
                          Okay, now I'm getting confused again. I thought the Zee was the interface between HomeSeer and Z-wave...

Comment

Okay, now I'm getting confused again. I thought the Zee was the interface between HomeSeer and Z-wave...
                            The Zee, basically is HomeSeer. It's a mini/micro PC that has HomeSeer (HomeSeer is software) running on it. It does also have a built-in Z-wave interface.

I'm running the HomeSeer software on a full Windows 10 PC, so I have an external (USB) Z-wave interface plugged in, as well as an Insteon PLM, a Way2Call, and a few custom interfaces connected.

Please note the HomeSeer is software that you run locally. It is not a cloud service. It continues to work even if you lose your internet connection. You will have to connect to it locally with your PC to manage it, so you will have to solve your network problem of getting to local devices.

Comment

Working...
                            X