PLM or HUB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLM or HUB?

I'm moving into a new home and will use HS4 Pro to run my home automation. I'm planning to use Insteon switches throughout the house. What interface should I use? The PLM or HUB? If the PLM, is the USB just as reliable as the serial PLM?

Reliability, speed, and compatibility with the plugin are my priorities. I have a HUB 2 and my Serial PLM died on me. However, I'm looking for the best solution, not the least expensive solution.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Michael

I have had my hub model 2245-222 for about a year now. Have never had any trouble with the hub or Mark's driver.

I also like that it is Ethernet so I can place it in the optimal location in the center of my house.

I purchased mine at Menards when they were dumping all their Insteon stock. They have this on sale for $99.00 on line.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
      I have had my hub model 2245-222 for about a year now. Have never had any trouble with the hub or Mark's driver.

I also like that it is Ethernet so I can place it in the optimal location in the center of my house.

I purchased mine at Menards when they were dumping all their Insteon stock. They have this on sale for $99.00 on line.

Thanks for the input. Question, I've read somewhere on this forum that the if you use the HUB that HS has to poll the HUB to get the status of devices. I read that wasn't the case with the PLM's. Are there delays waiting for HS to update the device status's?

I too like the ethernet connection. The HUB is integrated with Amazon Echo and Google Home too which I like in the event that the HS server is down for some reason.

Comment

I only have a few insteon devices and primarly use z-wave. Most of the insteon devices I have are switch modules or outdoor modules I use for x-mas. I really purchased it because it was inexpensive and I figured what the heck, I might use more insteon in the future.

I have my polling disabled. I really don't notice any delay because as I said it is used for outdoor lights on a timer event.

Mark or other heavy insteon users in this sub-forum could probably answer your polling question better than I.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
          I only have a few insteon devices and primarly use z-wave. Most of the insteon devices I have are switch modules or outdoor modules I use for x-mas. I really purchased it because it was inexpensive and I figured what the heck, I might use more insteon in the future.

I have my polling disabled. I really don't notice any delay because as I said it is used for outdoor lights on a timer event.

Mark or other heavy insteon users in this sub-forum could probably answer your polling question better than I.
          Thanks for the input. Do you use Mark's plugin?

Comment

Yes, I use Mark's plugin. HomeSeer had an Insteon plugin but now it is legacy and no longer supported.

Comment

Originally posted by mgonzales100 View Post

Thanks for the input. Question, I've read somewhere on this forum that the if you use the HUB that HS has to poll the HUB to get the status of devices. I read that wasn't the case with the PLM's...
              That's why I stayed with the PLM. I don't want any delays, and the (USB) PLM is pretty much instant.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

That's why I stayed with the PLM. I don't want any delays, and the (USB) PLM is pretty much instant.
                Thank you for the feedback. I'll go with the USB PLM.

Comment

Working...
                X