Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPS-protected HS4 and 2413U (no UPS) lose comms in power failure, never restores.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPS-protected HS4 and 2413U (no UPS) lose comms in power failure, never restores.

I'm using the HSInsteon plugin with Insteon switches and plugs and a PowerLinc 2413U modem on COM5 (USB virtual COM port) with a HomeTrollerG2 running Windows 10 and HS4 4.2.6 and HSInsteon plugin 1.0.0.9. The 2413U indicates firmware 158 on the config page when working correctly. The Hometroller is plugged into a UPS for battery backup but the 2413U (per manufacturer instructions) is plugged directly into a plug with no surge protector or UPS in between. When the power is shut off, the HS4 server keeps running of course but the 2413U does not since it isn't on the UPS. When the power is restored, the HSInsteon plugin doesn't seem to reconnect to the modem or register any error state (it showed OK on the Installed Plugins page). If I go to the plugin's Config page during this time, it says no modems or other devices are detected. And of course no commands to the Insteon devices work during this time. I see no log entries for the plugin indicating it knows it lost communication with the modem and hours later it still doesn't recover. If I just restart the plugin, it finds the modem and everything is fine again so clearly the system can work but the comm channel to the modem needs to be reestablished after a power outage.

It seems like the plugin needs to detect such a situation and reset the communication channel as it clearly wasn't talking to the modem for a long time (the Config page being empty seems to indicate it knows comms are down). Is there any solution to this? I suspect if I take the HS4 server off the UPS this problem won't occur as the plugin will reset along with the system in a power outage. I also think the modem being plugged into the UPS would solve the problem as then it wouldn't lose power but the recommendation seems to be no surge protectors or UPS for the modem (presumably to keep them from interfering with the power line communications). Outside of this issue the plugin has worked fine for me.

As it is a client's home I can't do a lot of shutting off the power to test it but I suspect this problem will occur at least some of the time when power is reset, perhaps every time. Seems like the plugin should see the USB channel being down and reset it. Instead it just seems to keep going but all the management commands to Insteon plugs/switches go in the bit bucket of course.

Any suggestions? I've contacted support but as this plugin is not officially supported I'm not sure if it will be addressed.

Thanks!

-HAH

I wonder what would happen if you plug the PLM into the UPS and then have another dual band module nearby that is plugged into an unprotected plug. The PLM will never lose power and after one wireless hop the other dual band device would supply coupling to the powerline without getting filtered by the UPS.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
      I wonder what would happen if you plug the PLM into the UPS and then have another dual band module nearby that is plugged into an unprotected plug. The PLM will never lose power and after one wireless hop the other dual band device would supply coupling to the powerline without getting filtered by the UPS.
      Certainly a potential option but I'd rather not add another point of failure into the mix. And my customer probably isn't interested in buying an extra PLM to get it working. First, I'd probably try plugging the one PLM into the UPS and see if it's a real issue to getting the messages sent out. I know I've had the same model PLM plugged into a surge suppressor with no obvious ill effects. I'll keep this in mind as a possibility. Another option is to use the paid plugin which probably handles the situation I'm running into. I didn't just because my uses are very simple and don't require all the capabilities of that plugin. I've used the paid one in the past and it hasn't ever given me any problems.

I wish the plugin would just throw an error of some sort I could create an event for to restart the plugin when it loses the communication channel to the PLM. That would solve the problem which (I hope) is a relatively rare occcurence but here in HI, power outages aren't uncommon.

Mahalo!

-HAH

Comment

I wasn't suggesting a second PLM, just any dual band module or switch to get the rf from the PLM onto the power line. There may already be one in range so you wouldn't need to add anything.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
          I wasn't suggesting a second PLM, just any dual band module or switch to get the rf from the PLM onto the power line. There may already be one in range so you wouldn't need to add anything.
          Oh, I see what you're saying. I don't think that will work because the command to the PLM never gets to it because the USB channel between HS4 and the PLM is not working. It's not that the outlet is off but rather when it comes back on, the plugin doesn't reset the communications to the PLM. When power is restored I expect the plugin to detect the PLM is back on and reestablish comms but instead it just seems to leave it down and any commands sent get logged but not actually sent (and the plugin says it has no PLMs or devices it's talking to until I restart the plugin).

Comment

But if the PLM is on the UPS it will never go off and the plugin won't lose connection. The PLM will still work plugged into the UPS even if the UPS blocks powerline signals because the other switch or module will receive the wireless signal from the PLM and repeat them onto the powerline.

The plugin doesn't need to detect the PLM is back because it will never go away in the first place.

Comment

OK, now I'm seeing where you are going. Yes, if the PLM were on the UPS even if the power line path were blocked the RF path would still be active. There's an Insteon switch about 30 ft away from the PLM in the same room so chances are it would pick up the signal and repeat it. And, as I think you were suggesting, I could put another Insteon plug or something else that would be another device that could pick up the RF signal for more redundancy. Good thinking. Thanks for taking the time to clarify what you were describing for me.

I'll try putting the PLM on the UPS next time I'm there and see how well it works in that config. HS Support indicated there is no more support for the HSInsteon free plugin so either I have to buy the other one (which is a good product, just a bit overkill for my purposes) or get the existing plugin and hardware to work. I think you've given me a very viable path to try.

Mahalo!

-HAH

Comment

Working...
              X