Zigbee multisensors seem to be more reliable than Z-wave mutlisensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zigbee multisensors seem to be more reliable than Z-wave mutlisensors

Over the years I have had several different Z-wave multisensors (motion, light, temperature), some of which are still operational. Over the past month, I have added two Philips Hue motion sensors, which also measure light and temperature. It may be beginner's luck with these first time Zigbee sensors, but they required less fuss to install and seem to be much more reliably reporting motion, light, and temperature, than do many of my Z-wave devices. Just thought I would mention this as a comment and wonder if anyone else finds this to be the case. Certainly, it is a small sample (n=2) and may be a biased sample. Elliott
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Originally posted by Richel View Post
    Over the years I have had several different Z-wave multisensors (motion, light, temperature), some of which are still operational. Over the past month, I have added two Philips Hue motion sensors, which also measure light and temperature. It may be beginner's luck with these first time Zigbee sensors, but they required less fuss to install and seem to be much more reliably reporting motion, light, and temperature, than do many of my Z-wave devices. Just thought I would mention this as a comment and wonder if anyone else finds this to be the case. Certainly, it is a small sample (n=2) and may be a biased sample. Elliott
    what zwave multi's are you comparing them to? I have 2 aeon multi's and the light sensors suck on them, badly. I can put them both right next to eachother and they read completely different

Comment

Originally posted by jon102034050 View Post

what zwave multi's are you comparing them to? I have 2 aeon multi's and the light sensors suck on them, badly. I can put them both right next to eachother and they read completely different
      Aeon's and Ecolink's, mainly. I've had some issues, too, with HSM100.
      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

I think all my battery motion and door sensors will be zigbee. They do not contribute the the z-net network anyways.. And They are cheap with deconz...
        if distance became and issue , i will just add another conbee stick somewhere.

I am not sure about temp and lux etc... i think i'll stay with z-wave. The aeon motion sensors is not reliable ( att all) for motion.. but for the rest it works good.

The homeseer sensors are half-half. It works fast for motion ( on battery), but the detection max distance is not that good ( will need to buy another one or two for my living room)

Comment

Originally posted by MattLau View Post
          I think all my battery motion and door sensors will be zigbee. They do not contribute the the z-net network anyways.. And They are cheap with deconz...
          if distance became and issue , i will just add another conbee stick somewhere.

I am not sure about temp and lux etc... i think i'll stay with z-wave. The aeon motion sensors is not reliable ( att all) for motion.. but for the rest it works good.

The homeseer sensors are half-half. It works fast for motion ( on battery), but the detection max distance is not that good ( will need to buy another one or two for my living room)
          Careful with this part:

i will just add another conbee stick somewhere.
          This from my understanding is still a "tricky" thing to do and has potential of wrecking your entire ZigBee mesh and having to start over. I had the same thoughts.

Comment

I'm happy with the Hue sensors I have and even happier with the xiaomi aqara sensors, and I am adding more.

To expand a network, just add routing devices. Most bulbs are routers. There are some hardwired plugs and switches, as well as plug in modules, that are routers also.

I haven't reached it yet, but there is a hardcoded 200 node limit in deCONZ. That is when you would consider additional ConBees (or RaspBees, which is what I am using). In theory deCONZ is designed to interconnect multiple bridges (each with their own distinct network), share information and support cross network control. It is unclear how well this works in a general situation. One of these days I will find the time to try and make it work. But distinct parallel networks does work.

I have three ZigBee networks running in parallel. My main network is on a RaspBee bridge, I kept my Hue bridge with a few devices on it, and I have a second RaspBee for testing with a few devices on it. I haven't had any issues. The only caveat is that each network needs to be able to see all its own devices on its mesh. In my case the devices for my two small networks are all within short distance of the bridges. My main network does route throughout the house, mostly using Hue bulbs.

Comment

With 3 zigbee protocol, i don't thnk the mesh will be phenomenal?

Comment

Just bought a hue motion sensor. They are by far the fastest of all my motion sensors..

I step in the the bathroom and there'S no delay with the light!

Comment

I am very enthousiastic too with the Hue motion sensors, on speed, but even more on the battery usage.
                  On my z-wave motion sensors I had - if I was lucky - 4 months of usage on a group of 4 penlight batteries. The Hue sensors I am having now have been on 2 penlights and lasted now 3 years - and still are not empty!!

Also the Aqara sensors seem to behave very economical on their batteries,

So, I am a happy camper here on the speed and battery usage on those devices.

Wim
                  -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                    I am very enthousiastic too with the Hue motion sensors, on speed, but even more on the battery usage.
                    On my z-wave motion sensors I had - if I was lucky - 4 months of usage on a group of 4 penlight batteries. The Hue sensors I am having now have been on 2 penlights and lasted now 3 years - and still are not empty!!

Also the Aqara sensors seem to behave very economical on their batteries,

So, I am a happy camper here on the speed and battery usage on those devices.

Wim
                    I think I will order some of the Aqara sensors, too.

Elliott

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

I think I will order some of the Aqara sensors, too.

Elliott
                      Yesterday, I got my first Aqara motion sensor from a seller on eBay. This sensor is both small and inexpensive (much less than any Z-wave sensor). It installed flawlessly with the Conbee device and the Jowihue plugin. I am already so pleased with how this sensor works that I have ordered two more.

Elliott

Comment

Working...
                      X