Zigbee is great, but it sometimes can be quirky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zigbee is great, but it sometimes can be quirky

I'm loving Zigbee, but it can be quirky. We have a new Ikea store in town and I purchased and installed a bunch of Tradfri E12 bulbs, which are not on the list of compatible bulbs for my deConz/Conbee. Nonetheless, the installation and implementation has been flawless. So, I decided to buy more Tradfri bulbs. This time I bought the E26 bulbs, which also are not on the list of compatible light bulbs. I tried and tried to get these bulbs linked to the Conbee and failed. So, I was going to return the bulbs today to Ikea and I was looking to see which Tradfri bulbs were compatible with deConz/Conbee, when I stumbled upon a post on github discussing Ikea bulbs and deConz. The fix to include the bulb was to reset it (starting with bulb on, turn off and on 5 times), while adding a new light bulb in the Phoscon app. This worked and all 4 bulbs were imported properly into JowiHue.
    I would also like to mention how amazed I am at the range of Zigbee devices. I have a wine cave in a relatively remote location in my home. I tried with X10 and with Z-Wave to get a temperature sensor inside the cave to report to HomeSeer. This did not work, even with a secondary Z-Net in relatively close range to the cave. Yesterday, I received in the mail 3 Xiaomi Aqara multisensors (temperature, humidity, barometric pressure [apparently]). I was amazed to see that this tiny (and inexpensive) device has no trouble reporting in from inside the cave.
    All this is just for general information.
    Elliott
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Xiaomi often come with some suprises on how reliable they work. I do advise approx 7 meters/21 feet for max distances between bulbs and sensors. But I also had a door sensor that shoud be considered arund 10 meter/30 feet apart. And indeed it still worked...
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Working...
    X