Zigbee is great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike,

Check the image I posted. Most sensors here (black line on the left) are Xiaomi, with a few Philips Motion and IKEA sensors included. They go through routers, bulbs and plugs. None go directly to the deCONZ gateway here. Dresden electronics advises at least one router (bulb or plug) in the network and more if you need distance and/or meshing.

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

langenet - I took the plunge knowing nothing about Linux, Raspberry, etc. I bought the raspbee module and the Rpi 3 through amazon. Just purchase a Canakit without too many extras, just a power supply, a case, pre-installed OS. Then pick a way to back it up with a usb card reader. That's it. Plug the raspbee module into the Rpi3 and go to town. I have never had any issues with hardware or firmware. FYI, buy a RPI3 B+

To be clear:
      The name of the plugin is JowiHue
      The name of the zigbee module for the RPi is called raspbee (search Amazon)
      The name of the zigbee module for a windows PC is call conbee (search Amazon)

Occasionally check for updates to the deCONZ software and firmware. I sometimes jump through hoops to update the RPi itself, but if it runs, you can just leave it alone.

I actually setup both, raspbee (Linux) and conbee (windows). Prefer the raspbee because it's a totally independent system and the conbee was just more overhead on a miniPC that is at its performance limits with HS3 and a few other things. The Jowihue plug-in makes it seamless melding zigbee to z-wave via Homeseer.

And, buying $12 door and window sensors that take coin batteries that last for over a year is a big plus! search aliexpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
        Thank you Wim for all that great information. This is outstanding! Yes, I'm just waiting on word for the plugin sale. I'm already building my list - despite bring naughty or nice!

So it looks like I need to buy a Pi3, then the addon RaspBee module and assemble? While I have a couple of Arduino's, I never played with the PI yet. My concern is picking up all the hardware and having firmware/OS issues, Can I just buy a complete unit?
        Robert,

If you order the RaspBee from Amazon, you have a complete assembled unit. It costs extra because it is all complete done for you. Alll you need to do is make sure to run the latest version of deCONZ, other then that the RaspBee is complete with OS and drivers. Once you have it, let me know and I can help you with some guidance on upgrading deCONZ (but am no linux guru at all!)

Wim
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

Originally posted by fresnoboy View Post
          Richel, from the deconz screen, do you ever see a Xiaomi device routing through a relay node, or do they all have to go direct? I am trying to plan a layout of gateways to provide full coverage for the cheap Xiaomi sensors... Technically, if they used a relay node that would be unnecessary, but people indicate they don't do that, which is too bad. They are the biggest reason in my opinion to use zigbee instead of Zwave,

BTW, gearbest is running a sale on a number of these devices this week. Really really cheap.

thanks,
          mike
          Thanks, Mike. Gearbest is where I buy most of my Xiaomi devices. For variety, I have gotten some from eBay sellers, too. Prices are the same.
          So, this is the interesting thing that got me so enthusiastic about Zigbee and the mesh network, which is truly dynamic. This morning for the first time I have one of my Xiaomi multisensors ("7" in the lower right hand corner) connecting to another device (Philips Hue bulb, "Loft (Light 21)"). But as you can see, so far, this is the only one. Elliott Click image for larger version

Name:	Zigbee.png
Views:	522
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	1257641
          Attached Files
          "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
          "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
            Yes, I have several also here. Mainly switches. I had a few multisensors, but kept changing batteries, so now they are off duty.
            Thanks.
            "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
            "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

With the Raspbee and plugin you are set to go.
              w.vuyk Sorry I know I sound thick asking after something that's already been said, I just need to be clear.

When using a Raspbee, do you still need to run the deCONZ gateway software on your windows PC?

Or is the deCONZ gateway hosted in the RPi? Meaning the plugin talks directly to the RPi using REST?

I received a Rasberry Pi as a gift recently and have been wanting to leverage it's value in HomeSeer somehow. I was a little underwhelmed by the Rasberry Pi plugin due to the lack of PWM on the IO pins, which the Arduino plugin does do. That's not a diss on Spud, it just seems to be a hardware limitation of the Pi.

Buying a Zigbee module to create a Raspbee gateway seems like a good alternative option given how cheap it is to buy the radio module on it's own. Then I can start making use of those low cost Sylvania/Osram bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post

w.vuyk Sorry I know I sound thick asking after something that's already been said, I just need to be clear.

When using a Raspbee, do you still need to run the deCONZ gateway software on your windows PC?

Or is the deCONZ gateway hosted in the RPi? Meaning the plugin talks directly to the RPi using REST?

I received a Rasberry Pi as a gift recently and have been wanting to leverage it's value in HomeSeer somehow. I was a little underwhelmed by the Rasberry Pi plugin due to the lack of PWM on the IO pins, which the Arduino plugin does do. That's not a diss on Spud, it just seems to be a hardware limitation of the Pi.

Buying a Zigbee module to create a Raspbee gateway seems like a good alternative option given how cheap it is to buy the radio module on it's own. Then I can start making use of those low cost Sylvania/Osram bulbs.
                Fellhahn,

The deCONZ software needs to run where the Zigbee card is at, so in your case on the Raspberri pi. deCONZ needs to run local to that card.The plugin indeed only talks to the REST API.

Wim
                -- Wim

Comment

Another couple of questions if I may - do zigbee devices support instant status? That is, if I turn on/off a switch on at the wall, is this reflected in HS3? Secondly, where are these cool looking mesh network diagrams come from? Is this from the plugin?

Thanks

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Robert,

If you order the RaspBee from Amazon, you have a complete assembled unit. It costs extra because it is all complete done for you. Alll you need to do is make sure to run the latest version of deCONZ, other then that the RaspBee is complete with OS and drivers. Once you have it, let me know and I can help you with some guidance on upgrading deCONZ (but am no linux guru at all!)

Wim
                    Perfect! Thanks!. I see on ebay you can buy a complete pi3 with case, power etc here. Does this look like it would work? ... does it need a fan? seriously? I don't think my Z-net has one... does it?

As mentioned earlier, the usb would probably work fine - just haven't decided which way to go yet but will add zigbee for sure thanks to this thread.

Robert
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Another couple of questions if I may - do zigbee devices support instant status? That is, if I turn on/off a switch on at the wall, is this reflected in HS3? Secondly, where are these cool looking mesh network diagrams come from? Is this from the plugin?

Thanks

Robert
                      Status is instant, so HS3 will trigger events the moment you use the switches. The diagrams come from deCONZ, the gateway software itself. If you have the ConBee, this would be on your windows machine, if you have the raspbee you can get there using VNC.
                      -- Wim

Comment

Perfect! Thanks!. I see on ebay you can buy a complete pi3 with case, power etc here. Does this look like it would work? ... does it need a fan? seriously? I don't think my Z-net has one... does it?

As mentioned earlier, the usb would probably work fine - just haven't decided which way to go yet but will add zigbee for sure thanks to this thread.

Robert
                        You don't need a fan, at least, my RaspBee has none. The one you linked should work I guess, with ofcource adding the zigbee card and the software.

If you are planning oto use the USB, think of this: adding a router (light or plug) will extend the range... make sure to have a first light in the range of around 7 meters of the USB and through meshing you can cover the whole house (by having lights or plugs in 7 meters (21 feet) from each other. I have to say that Philps Hue lights are the best routers as far I experienced.
                        -- Wim

Comment

Gee... and I keep coming back for more - hopefully, others will benefit. Should I go with the ConBee, does the deCONZ software get started by the plugin or do you need to run it manually? In my case I run Homeseer as a service using Fire Daemon on my Win2k16 server. If the plugin doesn't start the deCONZ, I could create a service without issue - just wanted to know though.

Regard the other route, I didn't think a fan was required - again, just wanted to confirm.

oto is what? Sorry... I'm Canadian, lol

Next is there management of the meshed network like Z-wave? Do I need to optimize etc...

Again, thanks for all your help. You've really turned me on to a new protocol here! I currently use X-10 and Z-wave for lights and plugs, RFXCOM for sensors. The wonderful feature of HS is I can grow with another protocols sharing off responsibility of control to different architectures without over burdening any one.

Robert

Comment

Gee... and I keep coming back for more - hopefully, others will benefit. Should I go with the ConBee, does the deCONZ software get started by the plugin or do you need to run it manually? In my case I run Homeseer as a service using Fire Daemon on my Win2k16 server. If the plugin doesn't start the deCONZ, I could create a service without issue - just wanted to know though.
                            The plugin will not start deCONZ as it does not know how deCONZ is used in advance. So You should start deCONZ yourself, before starting HS3. I guess if you start deCONZ, a delay of 20 seconds is needed to start HS3?

oto is what? Sorry... I'm Canadian, lol
                            And umm I am dutch, clearly some accent here LOL
                            It should have read If you are planning to use the USB, .....

Next is there management of the meshed network like Z-wave? Do I need to optimize etc...
                            Robert
                            None whatsoever. deCONZ is taking that responsibility... it is part of the Zigbee protocol to have complete control of its meshing. You only need (or can) to look and sit back so to speak

Wim
                            -- Wim

Comment

Wim,

Ok... I order the Conbee USB dongle from Amazon.com (quick and simple) to our Ohio friend who is coming up the end next week. I'll create a service to start the deCONZ in FD before it starts HS...

Exciting!

Thanks for all you help and support.

Comment

Wim,

To clear things up a bit - I'd like to add some Xiaomi Aqara Smart Water Sensors to my system using Zigbee of course. Question is, do I required some routing devices for this to work and/or can they mesh through each other to get to the Combee or are do/can they reach the Combee directly?

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X