Zigbee is great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zigbee is great!

I'm really, really liking Zigbee. It seems to be much faster than Z-wave in response time (at least for my lights) and the range is very, very impressive. For example, I have a Xiaomi multisensor inside the freezer in my garage and this sensor has no trouble sending temperature data. I love looking at the deConz app for the meshes that form (so much better than Z-Seer, which takes forever to refresh). The Zigbee mesh is very dynamic and changing all the time. This morning for the first time I see one of my multisensors (Xiaomi) with a green connection to a Philips bulb relatively near to it. Very fun stuff (and I like the prices on many of the devices compared to Z-Wave devices). Elliott
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Can you describe you HS setup and how it uses/integrates with ZigBee? This sounds great!
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Yes, I will second this. I am not much of a person for ZigBee but willing to learn about your positive experiences. I checked some of the prices and you're right that they are somewhat cheaper. This is a good thing.
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
        Can you describe you HS setup and how it uses/integrates with ZigBee? This sounds great!
        Xiaomi in particular has a range of inexpensive devices that work great. What is also interesting is that they are in tiny packages, compared to comparable Z-Wave devices. I have several of their motion sensors, which also provide light sensing, and several of their multisensors (temperature, humidity, barometric pressure). I also have light bulbs from several sources (Ikea, Sengled, Philips Hue, Osram Lightify). So far, I like the Philips Hue bulbs the best, because they seem to mesh very well with other bulbs (and as I wrote earlier, one of my Xiaomi mutlisensors).

My setup is the deConz/Conbee on a Windows 10 machine, with JowiHue plugin and HS3Pro. I started with the Zigbee plugin that Homeseer provides. However, this mainly or only interfaces with Osram Lightify hub. deConz/Conbee is great, in part, because of the range of compatible devices and new ones continually being added. I am also quite pleased with the JowiHue plugin. The integration of a Zigbee device in Homeseer is no different from any other device. Another neat feature for deConz/Conbee is the Phoscon app that allows grouping of lights. This grouping is imported into Homeseer via JowiHue. For example, I have a chandelier with 6 Tradfri (Ikea) bulbs. I have grouped these as "Chandelier" in Phoscon and it is seen in Homeseer, so that I can turn on, dim, and turn off with one "device." Also, there is a really neat app (Phoscon-GW) for android (I don't know if it is available on iOS), that links to the deConz/Conbee and can control all the Zigbee lights in my home.

Let me if you have further questions.

Elliott
        "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

Xiaomi in particular has a range of inexpensive devices that work great. What is also interesting is that they are in tiny packages, compared to comparable Z-Wave devices. I have several of their motion sensors, which also provide light sensing, and several of their multisensors (temperature, humidity, barometric pressure). I also have light bulbs from several sources (Ikea, Sengled, Philips Hue, Osram Lightify). So far, I like the Philips Hue bulbs the best, because they seem to mesh very well with other bulbs (and as I wrote earlier, one of my Xiaomi mutlisensors).

My setup is the deConz/Conbee on a Windows 10 machine, with JowiHue plugin and HS3Pro. I started with the Zigbee plugin that Homeseer provides. However, this mainly or only interfaces with Osram Lightify hub. deConz/Conbee is great, in part, because of the range of compatible devices and new ones continually being added. I am also quite pleased with the JowiHue plugin. The integration of a Zigbee device in Homeseer is no different from any other device. Another neat feature for deConz/Conbee is the Phoscon app that allows grouping of lights. This grouping is imported into Homeseer via JowiHue. For example, I have a chandelier with 6 Tradfri (Ikea) bulbs. I have grouped these as "Chandelier" in Phoscon and it is seen in Homeseer, so that I can turn on, dim, and turn off with one "device." Also, there is a really neat app (Phoscon-GW) for android (I don't know if it is available on iOS), that links to the deConz/Conbee and can control all the Zigbee lights in my home.

Let me if you have further questions.

Elliott
          Can you explain exactly what hardware interface you used on your Win10 machine, at what additional software you are running besides the JowiHue plugin? Do you need Phoscon, or is that just if you need to do grouping?

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post

Can you explain exactly what hardware interface you used on your Win10 machine, at what additional software you are running besides the JowiHue plugin? Do you need Phoscon, or is that just if you need to do grouping?

thanks.
            So, I have the Conbee USB dongle (you can find this on Amazon for about 40 USD). deConz and Phoscon are the software that interface with the Conbee and are free. I think the Phoscon is needed for the grouping, but there may be other ways to do this, too (I just don't know). By the way, all Zigbee light bulbs can be turned on and off as a group without having to group anything. This grouping is imported by JowiHue, too.

Elliott

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

So, I have the Conbee USB dongle (you can find this on Amazon for about 40 USD). deConz and Phoscon are the software that interface with the Conbee and are free. I think the Phoscon is needed for the grouping, but there may be other ways to do this, too (I just don't know). By the way, all Zigbee light bulbs can be turned on and off as a group without having to group anything. This grouping is imported by JowiHue, too.

Elliott
              Thanks.

Comment

Addional info:

There is a ConBee (USB zigbee module) and a Raspbee (raspberry pi with Zigbee module). Both are controlled by gateway software, deCONZ, wich interfaces a REST API, just like the Philips Hue bridge. The plugin supports all these gateways in any number or combination of gateways.
                The ConBee can be controlled with Ubuntu or Windows. The ConBee can be used on the same machine as HS3. In this case you need to run deCONZ as well on the same machine. This software does not add much load on the machine so far.

Phoscon comes with deCONZ, which is a web interface to deCONZ (REST API).

All lights, supporting Zigbee3/HA 1.2 protocols should "just work" for deCONZ and thus for the plugin. Development around sensors is still ongoing. The sensors most of the time need extra attention as each have their own values and triggers. For a list of current supported sensors see https://github.com/dresden-elektroni...ported-Devices. This list is expanding all the time. If you have a sensor that is supported by deCONZ, but not yet by the plugin, contact me and I try to add the support for the plugin.

The plugin can create its own light groups through the Bridge Maintenance page, but will also accept it when groups are created with Phoscon, the effective groups do not differ at all. So you can do without Phoscon if you do not really need it.

For a peek at the user guide for this plugin you can go to http://www.vuyk.info/hs/jowihue/start. Here you will find more information on when to use the Philips Hue bridge or ConBee/RaspBee and the possibilities using this plugin for HS3.

For an idea on what the meshing overview of deCONZ is, here is a view of my RaspBee deCONZ screen, which for me is the main deCONZ in the house controlling most of the house.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-11-06 21_03_48-RaspBee (raspberrypi) - VNC Viewer.png Views:	1 Size:	553.5 KB ID:	1257586

Devices with a yellow line on the left are light or plugs and have routing (meshing) functions. Devices with a grey line on the left are endpoints, most often battery controlled sensors. There is one device with a blue line, which is the controller (the ConBee or RaspBee gateway)

Wim
                -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

So is ConBee the name of the plugin then? Since my server is in the basement, I doubt a stick plugged into it locally would work very well in a 3400sqft house. I suppose I could run a usb cable and try to move it more central. Is the range very good with zigbee and the Conbee USB dongle or would you recommend the Raspbee? Saying that, is that all I need, so I can just pick up some zigbee devices and I'm all set?

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Robert,

The ConBee (and RaspBee) is the name of the hardware. deCONZ is the name of the (free) gateway software needed to control them. JowiHue is the HS3 plugin to incorporate it in HS3.
                    Instead ot running a long USB cable I would advice to use a RaspBee instead as the RaspBee can connect to WIFI from anywhere and connect to the plugin remotely. Or if you feel brave you can use an existing raspberry pi and install the zigbee module and software (https://shop.dresden-elektronik.de/r..._store=english).

With the Raspbee and plugin you are set to go. When buying sensors, be sure to check this forum and the device list I posted before (https://github.com/dresden-elektroni...ported-Devices). For the lights, many brands will work, but be sure to check they confrm supporing zigbee3 and or HA 1.2 protocols.

You can find the raspbee and conbee on amazon. Make sure to check https://www.dresden-elektronik.de/deconz/ for the latest version of the software.

Oh, one last hint This month (I believe starting November 15) the plugin will join for the black November sales with a 20% off

Wim
                    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

Thank you Wim for all that great information. This is outstanding! Yes, I'm just waiting on word for the plugin sale. I'm already building my list - despite bring naughty or nice!

So it looks like I need to buy a Pi3, then the addon RaspBee module and assemble? While I have a couple of Arduino's, I never played with the PI yet. My concern is picking up all the hardware and having firmware/OS issues, Can I just buy a complete unit?
                      Last edited by langenet; November 6, 2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                        So is ConBee the name of the plugin then? Since my server is in the basement, I doubt a stick plugged into it locally would work very well in a 3400sqft house. I suppose I could run a usb cable and try to move it more central. Is the range very good with zigbee and the Conbee USB dongle or would you recommend the Raspbee? Saying that, is that all I need, so I can just pick up some zigbee devices and I'm all set?

Robert
                        Just my "two cents worth:" I am amazed at the range of my Conbee. I think that it is better than Z-Wave with my Z-Net. The Conbee and HS3Pro computer are in a closet in the center of the first floor of my house, which is a bit bigger than yours. The Z-Net is in the same location. I have a Xiaomi multisensor inside a wine cave on the second floor in the back of my house. It has no difficulty reporting the temperature from that location. I was never able to get a Z-wave or X10 thermometer to do this. Elliott

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                          Addional info:

There is a ConBee (USB zigbee module) and a Raspbee (raspberry pi with Zigbee module). Both are controlled by gateway software, deCONZ, wich interfaces a REST API, just like the Philips Hue bridge. The plugin supports all these gateways in any number or combination of gateways.
                          The ConBee can be controlled with Ubuntu or Windows. The ConBee can be used on the same machine as HS3. In this case you need to run deCONZ as well on the same machine. This software does not add much load on the machine so far.

Phoscon comes with deCONZ, which is a web interface to deCONZ (REST API).

Devices with a yellow line on the left are light or plugs and have routing (meshing) functions. Devices with a grey line on the left are endpoints, most often battery controlled sensors. There is one device with a blue line, which is the controller (the ConBee or RaspBee gateway)

Wim
                          Wim:

Thanks. Do you have any Z-wave devices in your house? Just curious. Elliott

Comment

Yes, I have several also here. Mainly switches. I had a few multisensors, but kept changing batteries, so now they are off duty.
                            -- Wim

Comment

Richel, from the deconz screen, do you ever see a Xiaomi device routing through a relay node, or do they all have to go direct? I am trying to plan a layout of gateways to provide full coverage for the cheap Xiaomi sensors... Technically, if they used a relay node that would be unnecessary, but people indicate they don't do that, which is too bad. They are the biggest reason in my opinion to use zigbee instead of Zwave,

BTW, gearbest is running a sale on a number of these devices this week. Really really cheap.

thanks,
                              mike

Comment

Working...
                              X