• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor motion sensor

I'm looking for a floodlight sensor.
    Can anyone advise if this product is compatible?:
    https://us.boschsecurity.com/en/prod...products_56458
    If not what is a suitable outdoor motion sensor with decent battery life?

Originally posted by chimera View Post
    Not sure but Zooz just released an outdoor motion sensor that is z-wave. You can get it at thesmartesthouse.com

Finally, an outdoor sensor! PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS The first Z-Wave motion sensor made for outdoors Great for flood light automation and monitoring Adjust LUX trigger and motion time-out right from the sensor (no advanced configuration is available, motion sensitivity can't be changed) CHECK HUB COMPATIBILITY BEFORE BUYING

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

Not sure but Zooz just released an outdoor motion sensor that is z-wave. You can get it at thesmartesthouse.com
      Thanks but I'm in Australia. That is why I am looking at Zigbee. Aus and US Zigbee specs are compatible but Aus Zwave is on it's own frequency meaning the range of products is very small and the prices are obscene. I plan to sell my zwave and move to Zigbee entirely. I hope this plugin is mature enough. It seems people are reporting success with it...

Comment

Thanks but I'm in Australia. That is why I am looking at Zigbee. Aus and US Zigbee specs are compatible but Aus Zwave is on it's on frequency meaning the range of products is very small and the prices are obscene. I plan to sell my zwave and move to Zigbee entirely. I hope this plugin is mature enough. It seems people are reporting success with it...
        I understand with the difference in prices and with AUS/US. Good luck.

Comment

I seriously considered buying the Zooz outdoor sensor but there's several shortcomings:

It is only adjustable on a single axis, tilt. The HomeSeer model is pan and tilt.
          It does not send LUX level reports like the HomeSeer model does.
          It is not an always-listening node, the HomeSeer model is. I was disappointed by this as the Zooz ZSE18 (their indoor PIR) can be set up as always listening when on USB power. The ZSE29 manual gives no hint that this is possible.
          The light level and timer functions can not be adjusted by z-wave parameters. To tweak the timer you actually have to turn the dial on the sensor, like some sort of caveman. The motion sensitivity is not adjustable at all.
          Despite being an outdoor sensor, the manual states "avoid direct sun and rain" ...

chimera
          some other approaches to consider, buying dirt cheap wired motion sensors from somewhere like ebay/Ali express, then wiring them to the digital input pins of an Arduino. Use the Arduino plugin to integrate with HS3. This can be cost effective if your are installing multiple sensors.
          Or, get an RFXCOM unit and make use of 434MHz wireless sensors, if you want to avoid cabling.
          Or, purchase a US frequency z-wave interface and make use of the US market devices, such as the HomeSeer outdoor model.

Comment

chimera

The device is Zigbee HA 1.2 compatible, so it will be supported by the deCONZ gateways (Raspbee/Conbee). The next step is less sure. It has also to be supported by the REST API of deCONZ. It might be supported out of the box by the looks of it, but otherwise a request for support has to be placed on the github of the developers. They are quite responsive, but do have a backlog at the moment on the devices as many different devices are comming out now.

I think the battery expectation for this motion sensor is very impressive! 6 years! I have quite a few Philips Hue motions sensors here, that are now over 3 years of battery life, thought that was already very good. Philips seems to work on outdoor motion sensors too, wonder what battery life they will expect for those too

Wim
            -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

chimera

I think you are having luck. On github there has been work done already: https://github.com/dresden-elektroni...gin/issues/669

I would need to know what the results will be once seen by the plugin, if you get this to work, make sure to send be the Json result that is shown on the Properties/JowiHue tab of the device?

Wim
              -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                chimera

I think you are having luck. On github there has been work done already: https://github.com/dresden-elektroni...gin/issues/669

Wim
                Ok wow it looks pretty close. This should be a great pir when it's operational. Wim could you also please comment on these:
                https://www.lectory.com.au/p/Home-Au...Dimmer-S/10312

They seem to be the only Austrlian standards compliant switches at a decent price. Are they or are they going to be supported anytime soon. It would be a huge boon for your plugin for Australian users as we seem to be very limited in what items we can use.

Comment

chimera,

Not sure on this one. They do not mention the version of Zigbee they are using. I am pretty sure that if you want to try, you will need to put in a device support request at the github. I doubt if this one is supported out of the box.

Wim
                  -- Wim

Comment

Working...
                  X