Need Help with Sunrise animation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with Sunrise animation

I have a nice "alarm clock" set up but I need some advice. Right now I have a sunrise animation controlled by the Hue Lights app on my phone that starts 10 minutes before I want to get up. Over those 10 minutes, it changes colors like the sun and then eventually becomes full bright. As soon as that animation ends (6am) Homeseer kicks in and starts some quiet music, opens the blinds, etc.

I'd *like* to control everything from Homeseer. Right now if I want to change my alarm time, I have to do it in two different places. It's annoying when I forget to turn off one and not the other. I assume Jowihue can do this, but I can't seem to figure it out.

What I'm looking for: Animation that ends with lights at full bright. It begins with lights off, gradually increasing in brightness over time. I am not look just to fade in, I want them to change colors as they increase in brightness just like the sun does naturally.

Any help?

I got the exact same question :-)

Comment

I would have thought that the sunrise effect would have been a default animation. I know it used to be in the/an older app I used. The new one in the default Hue app doesn't do the color changes. It also means I'm still controlling my alarm in two places. I assume I need to make an animation? That part seems a bit opaque to me though.

Comment

Blackbeard,

Yes, you need to create an animation for that. As an example I will explain my wake up animation, which is run for my alarm. Timing is also set to 10 minutes. You can adjust this to your own liking ofcourse to have the correct sunrise effect.
        Before creating an animation it is good to understand that an animation is using scenes. Scenes are setting a color to a bound lights, or eventually different colors to different lights. Scenes are static.
        Animations show these scenes after each other, eventually with transition times to make the stepover more fluent.

I have three wake scenes. Each is getting a bit more bright and changes color (stap=step). The transitiontime used here is not actually used in the animation, the animation will set its own time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-12-11 20_14_19-192.168.1.3_82_Creativity.png Views:	1 Size:	328.2 KB ID:	1265880

Then, the above three scenes are combined in the animation:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-12-11 20_18_27-192.168.1.3_82_Creativity.png Views:	1 Size:	163.2 KB ID:	1265881
        Transition time here is 100 (in 1/10 of a second), resulting in 10 seconds. This value can also be larger, like 3 minutes (1800).
        The wait parameter is setting how long the scene will be shown, also in 1/10 of a second (2400 is 4 minutes). In your wakup event you then can start with the JowiHue action "start animation" and add a wait of 10 minutes before opening blinds and start music. This is exactly how it works here for us
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Just wanted to close the loop here. I finally got around to playing with this. It is AWESOME!! So much better than the sunrise effect that the app created. I might go deep down the rabbit hole and have each light in our bedroom running through a different animation so you get more interesting mixes of color combinations just like a real sunrise. Is there a place where people are posting cool animations they have created to benefit others? I think that would be really useful.

Huge thanks to w.vuyk for the tip and for creating such an awesome PI.

Comment

Hi - I don't have the preset for "xy color - xy orange". What are the settings for this preset? Also, if I wanted to have the first scene fade up slowly - over 60 seconds, how would I do that? Thanks

Comment

Simon,

The transition time sets how much time it will take until the scene settings are rached. So if you light is off and the animation wants to reach a dim value of 20%, you set the first transition time to 600 (60 seconds * 10 as transition is expressed in 1/10th of a second). So once the animation starts it will take one minute before it has set the scene as intended.
              The wait time has to last longer then the transistion time logically.

The xy color is set to this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-09-23 08_43_02-192.168.1.3_82_Creativity.png
Views:	351
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	1328330
              -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

I still can't figure out how to make the light fade up instead of popping on. I changed the transition on step 1. But the light still comes straight on? Thanks.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 9.08.34 PM.png
Views:	354
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1330369

Comment

Simon,

What type (brand) of light are you using here? For example IKEA lights are not really honouring the slow on commands and tend to set the light to the desired level immediately?

Wim
                  -- Wim

Comment

It is a Hue Bloom. Thanks.

Comment

Simon,

I have a bloom here also. Tested it and indeed this model (mine is dated in 2014...) is not smooth with the transition command. I also have an Iris here, same story. Where the color bulbs are very smooth. Also the new lightify table models, beyond lights are very smooth

Philips was historically a bit resistant to allow the bloom and Iris on the Hue bridge as they told those were never ment to be a 'friend of hue'. Later they accepted, but only for the newer versions....

Am afraid this won't work smoothly....

Wim
                      -- Wim

Comment

Got it. Thanks. I won’t use this bulb as a wake up light then!

Comment

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... More fun to say it could have worked
                          -- Wim

Comment

This is just what I was looking for! Excellent!

Comment

I tried this last night but it didn't work. The light only got to 24% and then stopped. Not sure what I did wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Name:	screencapture-192-168-1-15-8000-Creativity-2020-03-26-07_31_21.png
Views:	277
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1372814

Name:	screencapture-192-168-1-15-8000-Creativity-2020-03-26-07_31_36.png
Views:	232
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1372815

Comment

Working...